• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Tampa seems pretty chill. if you're in the zones close to the coast, peace out to at least a more inland shelter, but I'm not even in Zone E. it'll be a mess, but i'm not scared for my wellbeing or anything.

sinkfla87

On a scale of 1 to 10, how dumb is your cousin? lol

8016637.jpg

One of my best friends in Tampa isn't scared of this thing at all. Says it'll just be a CAT 2 or 3 by the time it gets to them. I guess she's right, but still wish she'd get the fuck out of there in case of flooding and prolonged power outages.

The roads are packed, the whole state can't evacuate, most need to ride it out. A 2 or 3 is a hurricane but she will be fine if they're prepared.

KevinG

It's bothering me that I can't check updates but every 3 hours with the NHC. Tropical Tidbits is tough to navigate on mobile.

Any better places to keep an eye on this thing?

I live in Cape Coral, but currently have my wife and kids at my parents' house in Arcadia, another 40 miles inland.

rpmurphy

It was a 16 hour trip from Palm Bay to Atlanta for my dad who just arrived this morning. And looking at the traffic map on Google, it looks much worse than yesterday. Stay safe y'all if you're travelling up north.

MrNelson

Banned
It's bothering me that I can't check updates but every 3 hours with the NHC. Tropical Tidbits is tough to navigate on mobile.

Any better places to keep an eye on this thing?

I live in Cape Coral, but currently have my wife and kids at my parents' house in Arcadia, another 40 miles inland.

Updates from the National Hurricane Center come at 11, 2, 5, and 8 am and pm. News stations and websites that are tracking the storm, including Tropical Tidbits, all use their updates, so there isn't really any way for you to get a better "play-by-play" on what the storm is currently doing until it gets closer to shore and local news is covering it 24/7.

It was a 16 hour trip from Palm Bay to Atlanta for my dad who just arrived this morning. And looking at the traffic map on Google, it looks much worse than yesterday. Stay safe y'all if you're travelling up north.
Im from Palm Bay also. Was thinking about driving to Gainesville, but saw how bad traffic was and decides against it

Lkr

With all the panic from non Florida gaf, I think you all would literally be appalled if you knew how "business as usual" Orlando is today. Lawn care still going on. Everyone friendlier than normal and in good spirits at the stores. This will all change tomorrow I'm sure but who gives a fuck about mowing the lawn when you might not have a lawn in a few days? Floridians that's who

Probably going to head towards a shelter sometime tomarrow. The place where I live has alot of massive trees around it. I really dont feel like getting crushed by one of them.

With all the panic from non Florida gaf, I think you all would literally be appalled if you knew how "business as usual" Orlando is today. Lawn care still going on. Everyone friendlier than normal and in good spirits at the stores. This will all change tomorrow I'm sure but who gives a fuck about mowing the lawn when you might not have a lawn in a few days? Floridians that's who

do you want them to run around and scream?

The grass isn't going to be vaporized.

III-V

Weeds still growing

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah I live in Orlando and its crazy how casual everyone is. My mom refuses to board up her windows but I at least got her to take the stuff from her deck today and put it inside, so progress I guess. The only way you can tell anyone takes this seriously is by going to a supermarket or gas station, shrug.

I saw some dude with his sprinklers on earlier today. Really dude, you don't need the water.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm in zone A, will this effect my Destiny time?

I'm just outside of Boca Raton, got shutters up, food and water good. I'm going to play destiny till the internet/power goes out here.

Thankfully my area was totaled about 10 years ago so it's been rebuilt and with the storm going more west if lucky the power will stay on, internet on the other hand...

It’s really because Orlando hasn’t received Katrina/Harvey levels of damage from a hurricane in living memory. Even in 2004 when Orlando was omnislashed by three hurricanes, it was a fucking mess but it didn’t feel catastrophic. I didn’t even lose power or internet in Matthew, though I know I got lucky. My biggest worry is being without power and my car getting hit by debris in my complex’s lot, but I’m definitely not worried for my safety. I live in a strong apartment building on the second floor.

lightus

Yeah I was just talking about that with a friend earlier. A lot of people out of state come through making doom and gloom drive by comments. This hurricane is a huge deal and needs to be taken seriously,I agree. But it gets to a point after doing prep for years you get good at it. Once you prep there's very little to do but sit and wait. Might as well enjoy your time while you can.

Edit: I want to note that I mean for people who take this storm seriously and have taken all the precautions they can for their area. If they are mowing the lawn but not boarding their windows or something that's a problem.

rbanke

People get almost hysterical. Have supplies in case you need them, evacuate if your in a manufactured home/flood zone/mandatory evacuation area. Outside of that, you're very likely to be just fine. Now that we have a very good idea of the path, evacuating unnessesary areas of central florida just adds to the traffic and strain on shelters/hotels. The extreme doom and gloom some spread just serve to make people less likely to prepare next time when its not as bad as they were lead to believe.

Lkr

Yeah I live in Orlando and its crazy how casual everyone is. My mom refuses to board up her windows but I at least got her to take the stuff from her deck today and put it inside, so progress I guess. The only way you can tell anyone takes this seriously is by going to a supermarket or gas station, shrug.

I saw some dude with his sprinklers on earlier today. Really dude, you don't need the water.
In your mom's defense, I'm not boarding up either lol
Spent all morning getting supplies and gas, now I'm gonna spend most of the day cleaning and getting the house ready for the possibility I'll not be leaving for a few days. Not much else to do

Oppo

Yeah I was just talking about that with a friend earlier. A lot of people out of state come through making doom and gloom drive by comments. This hurricane is a huge deal and needs to be taken seriously,I agree. But it gets to a point after doing prep for years you get good at it. Once you prep there's very little to do but sit and wait. Might as well enjoy your time while you can.

I think it's probably better to err on the side of caution regarding the storm of historic strength, when lives are at risk.

also let's not pretend a lot of this nonchalance is rational; it's almost a protest at being harangued by scary news reports. "i'm watering my lawn; we got a badass over here, I seen some storms" etc

Gattsu25

Banned
Thanks I'll hit up lowes in the morning. Do sandbags actually provide any peace of mind? Never done it before but I see friends posting about them

It's to prevent against flooding. My house is on a fairly large mound but you never know.

Slizeezyc

(Boarding up windows isn't really a great defense anyway -- debris is still going through them. More and more houses are either getting "hurricane windows" that are basically like car windshields or just have shutters.)

In your mom's defense, I'm not boarding up either lol
Spent all morning getting supplies and gas, now I'm gonna spend most of the day cleaning and getting the house ready for the possibility I'll not be leaving for a few days. Not much else to do
Why doesn't everyone in Florida have easy-up hurricane shutters? Your roof is at least secured with hurricane ties, yes?

lightus

I think it's probably better to err on the side of caution regarding the storm of historic strength, when lives are at risk.

also let's not pretent a lot of this nonchalance is rational; it's almost a protest at being harangued by scary news reports. "i'm watering my lawn; we got a badass over here, I seen some storms" etc

Sure. I edited my post to further explain that people who are doing trivial things when they haven't taken precautions first are being dumb.

A lot of people in my area prepped early and now suddenly have a lot of downtime due to work/class being canceled.

rbanke

Thanks I'll hit up lowes in the morning. Do sandbags actually provide any peace of mind? Never done it before but I see friends posting about them

Sandbags are not waterproof bariers (in the quanitities homeowners can get them). They are best used to divert water from thresholds or prevent water intrusion from driving rain. If you have a door that is likely leak water into your house, than sandbags can help stop that. if your house is going to be underwater, sandbags aren't going to do much to keep the water out.

rpmurphy

Im from Palm Bay also. Was thinking about driving to Gainesville, but saw how bad traffic was and decides against it
Yeah, it was backed up on 75 even with people using the shoulder lanes. Hopefully when it reaches up to Palm Bay the hurricane would be weaker.

Why doesn't everyone in Florida have easy-up hurricane shutters? Your roof is at least secured with hurricane ties, yes?

Easy up hurricane shutters are too expensive for a "Well when it hits inland it's not gonna be that bad."

Matthew gave us, in Central Florida, some wind and rain. I didn't even lose power here.

Hitting land is going to slowly sap its strength as it approaches, and anything less than a 4 by the time it gets here will mean we're much more likely to be okay.

Basically, because hurricanes don't hit us hard this far inland, nobody really preps for them outside your food and water. nobody here has their windows boarded up. Most people haven't even bothered to bring lawn/patio furniture in. Trash cans are still out. Business as usual.

It'll take a hurricane ruining everything they have for them to see the light.

Az

I'm in Jax. Brother in law is a trucker so had him pick up a pallet of water up north since hes on the way home. Enough to give out around my neighborhood

Easy up hurricane shutters are too expensive for a "Well when it hits inland it's not gonna be that bad."

Matthew gave us, in Central Florida, some wind and rain. I didn't even lose power here.

Hitting land is going to slowly sap its strength as it approaches, and anything less than a 4 by the time it gets here will mean we're much more likely to be okay.

Basically, because hurricanes don't hit us hard this far inland, nobody really preps for them outside your food and water. nobody here has their windows boarded up. Most people haven't even bothered to bring lawn/patio furniture in. Trash cans are still out. Business as usual.

It'll take a hurricane ruining everything they have for them to see the light

it seems like a lot of people kind of want this to happen...

lightus

I'm in Gainesville, my apartment sent out a notice telling residents to not board up windows. They figure damage done by boarding up will be worse than the storm. I agree it shouldn't be bad here but explicitly telling your residents to not prepare to their comfort level doesn't sit well for me.

Also they are doing cosmetic construction on my building's siding right now. The workers have been just leaving their materials out in the parking lot. I'm hoping they take it all off site so that I don't have loose wood flying around during a cat 3.

Lkr

I don't own the property. If my landlord wanted it boarded they could have given me money and told me to do it or done it themselves. Neither of those things happened so it's not worth it, everything I own can easily be replaced. It's also a newer home so I'm not too worried

it seems like a lot of people kind of want this to happen...

I don't think anyone WANTS it to happen. Making an observation on the stubborn inability for some to have some perspective and understanding of what a danger this actually is isn't wanting them to learn a lesson. It's "we've tried our damnedest to help people but they didn't want to listen, now let's hope they don't face the consequences."

It'll take a hurricane ruining everything they have for them to see the light.

Trash pick up was today, Id hope people have their trash cans out

It looks like it dropped just under the line to Cat 4. Any chance it strengthens again before it makes landfall?

Definitely. But I haven't seen anyone predicting it will strengthen back to a Cat 5. Could be I missed the memo, though, I've been awol on following it for the past 3 hours.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
For those thinking of traveling north:

A lady in our hotel had arrived and was saying how she left from West Palm Beach last night at 7 pm, and arrived here in Orlando at around 9 am. So you are looking at a 12+ hr drive at the least.

Of course, this is just one person's experience, but I figured it might help others plan their trip.

Good luck everyone, and be safe. Buy water every chance you get.

Top Bottom