• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Unbounded

Might be thinking ahead a bit here, but planning for the future comforts me a bit, rather than sitting around worried if I'll die.

If I decided to peace out of FL after this, what places in the USA are worth living in these days? Ones with an untwistable hurricane?

+1 for this, though I plan on staying for a few years to get an established career before I do the move.

This hurricane mess happens every damn year and it's fucking tired by now. Even if we don't get hit I get sick of the yearly chaos.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Floridians,

Friends parents are in Hollywood...

They live in a garage. They are adamant about just riding it out.

Is this, terrible?

Depends on where they are, but yeah, mainly due to storm surge and flooding. They should at least know where the shelters are in case they need to bail.

Might be thinking ahead a bit here, but planning for the future comforts me a bit, rather than sitting around worried if I'll die.

If I decided to peace out of FL after this, what places in the USA are worth living in these days? Ones with an untwistable hurricane?
As far as I remember, and it's been a while, the best places to live in the U.S.'s future climate are around the Great Lakes and slightly inland of the East Coast. Sort of band across the middle of the country. Those are the places that will see the least extreme temperature and precipitation shifts.

The places you do not want to be: Florida and the Gulf Coast. The Southwest. California.

http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/highlights/report-findings/future-climate

SOLDIER

+1 for this, though I plan on staying for a few years to get an established career before I do the move.

This hurricane mess happens every damn year and it's fucking tired by now. Even if we don't get hit I get sick of the yearly chaos.

That will be the hardest thing for me: choosing a career path is something I'm nowhere close to figuring out.

As a state employee, is there some sort of job transfer process I would benefit from? Most likely not, seeing how it would be in a different....state.

Ideally I'd want a career where I do most of the work at home. Getting up early and driving to work is not for me, especially if it was at a place with lots of snow.

sflufan

Banned
I have not spent this much time or money in a Wal-Mart in ever gathering supplies to transport to FL one the all-clear is given.

C.Mongler

Idk but I find panic posts unnecessary. Prepare for the 4, don’t talk like you are watching your kids play on a beach as a a Tsunami is sweeping them inevitably to death. People posting about how dumb their family is like they are watching deaths is so over the top. This storm is wide but the strength isn’t a wild percentage jump over others for Florida and much of Florida isn’t getting full strength.

Do you just not know what a hyperbole is? I don't think anyone in this thread has expressed a legitimate belief that their stubborn aunt in Gainesville who only bought one gallon of water is now as good as dead, just genuine concern for their southern family members that they aren't taking preparations seriously.

This storm is wide but the strength isn’t a wild percentage jump over others for Florida

This is literally just untrue.

much of Florida isn’t getting full strength.

And this is still an unknown. The NHC is currently predicting the storm could be exerting up to 75-100+ mph winds all the way up as far as the Orlando region. Those winds are also going to expanding about 70 miles from the center of the storm. Southern Florida is basically only 100 miles wide. That's a shitload of Florida.

Do we have any preliminary data on where Jose is expected to move?

Northern Midwest (Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Columbus) is pretty safe outside of the very rare tornado. Obviously you have to deal with the cold for 4-5 months, but you don't have to worry about floods, fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, typhoons, etc.

PacNW also seems pretty good...huge fucking fault line and inevitable catastrophic earthquake notwithstanding.

Now that I think about it, you never hear about natural disasters happening in Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, AZ. So those are probably fine.

Also in Minneapolis you have the best cheesecake in the entire country at The Salty Tart.

OMG Salty Tart. So good.

MA is great too. MN has the benefit of being cheaper to live at and an excellent economy, but MA is fantastic and has the coast and so much history.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If I may revise the criteria, cost of living and job markets would be a requirement too.

Also preferably places that wouldn't potentially lynch a latino.

Yeah, Minneapolis is a good choice or somewhere like Sioux Falls SD or Peoria IL from this list of best job markets. Sucks so many of these cities are in places with terrible climates and risk of natural disasters from storms to massive droughts and just being SLC.

Really anywhere in the North East that's non within 5-10 miles of the coast is pretty damn safe and there are tons of major metropolitan areas from Philly, to NYC to Boston and others with a huge mix of job markets and costs of living.

eclipze

Eau Claire, WI. Less than an hour and a half from the twin cities. Has over 100k people if you include surrounding Altoona and Chippewa Falls. Rent is under $500/mo for a good sized single bedroom. Houses less than 25 years old go for about $75 to $90 a sqft. Great music scene with two very good nightlife areas; Water St by campus for college age kids in their 20's and downtown for the 30+. Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) as well as other community leaders have put a lot of his efforts into rejuvenating the downtown area and it's booming like crazy. We also have a bunch of live music festivals within an hour drive including Country Fest, Country Jam, Eaux Claires, Rock Fest and Ashley for the Arts. The only downside is winter, but compared to a hurricane, it's nothing.

Me and my wife just left Florida for Arizona. It hasn't been too hard to adjust too... It's got just as many retirees, right wingers, and evolution deniers... but hey, it's much closer to my birth state of California, so when I do eventually make decent money the next move won't be near as bad!

Wildfires are still a large problem for the part of the country near the Rocky Mountains. I still hear horror stories about how bad those can be. Canada had a horrible one not too long ago.

cirrhosis

The DC/Northern VA area is pretty much natural disaster free unless you count politicians and lobbyists.

This. Worst you'll have to deal with around here is godawful traffic depending on where you live, high cost of living compared to rest of the country and potentially long commute times. Other than those things it's pretty great.

If I may revise the criteria, cost of living and job markets would be a requirement too.

Also preferably places that wouldn't potentially lynch a latino.

Well, the cost of living rules out pretty much all of Connecticut, Long Island and NYC. This may sound crazy, but I'm going to suggest Rochester, NY. The city was on track to really be hurting after Kodak started its slow decline, but it's actually doing really well. Jobs seem pretty good up there, at least in the tech industry. Plus, it's super affordable because its in the middle of the rust belt and its the birthplace of the trash plate and Zweigles hot dogs, so its got that going for it.

Briarios

I just realized how much my laziness is going to help protect my property. I let a woody hedge massively overgrow. Now I have like a 20 foot windbreak/item catcher. It hooks around the front yard a bit, too. Won't do anything if we get a tornado, but for straight on winds, it'll protect us for half the storm. Of course, if anyone is stupid enough to be walking outside, they'll probably be impacted by tiny branches ...

I'm in Tampa, and I think we'll be ok unless the eye swings into the gulf ... Then we have a problem.

Linkura

OMG Salty Tart. So good.

MA is great too. MN has the benefit of being cheaper to live at and an excellent economy, but MA is fantastic and has the coast and so much history.

MA's economy is also great. Very low unemployment rates. Very liberal. Of course housing/rent prices here are nuts though. Biggest downside. Just glad I bought during the low point. I wouldn't buy a house here in this market; you're getting completely ripped off.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The DC/Northern VA area is pretty much natural disaster free unless you count politicians and lobbyists.

You get a Snowpocolypse every 5 years or so where two feet of snow shuts down the entire city for a week. Other than that, yeah it's usually chill.

Kaiken

Banned
Family in Orlando and the Hotel they are staying at just told them they'll have to raise their rates to stay even though they booked ahead of time and have been staying there since Wednesday night. What a bunch of jags.

This. Worst you'll have to deal with around here is godawful traffic depending on where you live, high cost of living compared to rest of the country and potentially long commute times. Other than those things it's pretty great.

~$1,500 a month to rent in-and-around MD. 695 can be an asshole to get through, but in the 5 years I lived here, the worst was probably Hurricane Sandy and Winter Storm Jonas.

Other then that, CRABS! Lots of crabs!

Rixxan

Family in Orlando and the Hotel they are staying at just told them they'll have to raise their rates to stay even though they booked ahead of time and have been staying there since Wednesday night. What a bunch of jags.

This ain't legal

Timeshare im staying at in Orlando has been super helpful

Kusagari

Tell them to call 1-866-966-7226. This shit isn't legal and the state is dealing with offenders.

Grym

that cannot be legal

Link

The Autumn Wind
Take a cup

fill with water, freeze it

before you leave, put a quarter ontop

leave house

come back and examine the ice in the cup, if the quarter is near the bottom or moved at all, it'll be signs the power went out(and to throw away food!)
This is a really good idea, but I'm more concerned with how long the power will be out once I'm home. Could be days or even weeks.

DOWN

Banned
Do you just not know what a hyperbole is? I don't think anyone in this thread has expressed a legitimate belief that their stubborn aunt in Gainesville who only bought one gallon of water is now as good as dead, just genuine concern for their southern family members that they aren't taking preparations seriously.

This is literally just untrue.

And this is still an unknown. The NHC is currently predicting the storm could be exerting up to 75-100+ mph winds all the way up as far as the Orlando region. Those winds are also going to expanding about 70 miles from the center of the storm. Southern Florida is basically only 100 miles wide. That's a shitload of Florida.
People have absolutely posted about death and I sure hope it was hyperbole. And since a wild percentage jump is subjective, thanks for letting me know you find it untrue?

And no, it’s definitely true that not all of Florida will be hit with the same force.
They had already booked the nights they are getting told the rates will go up on? Or are they extending their stay a couple nights and those new nights will be at a higher rate?

This is a really good idea, but I'm more concerned with how long the power will be out once I'm home. Could be days or even weeks.

Yeah, that's something I cannot answer. The ice cup trick is your best bet for finding out how long the freezer, thus the power, has been shut off to it.

As long as you have a battery back up for your phone and other devices, you should be OK. Even your car can charge your phone too.

ionitron

Floridians,

Is this, terrible?

Hollywood is close to the beach. East or west of 95? They're saying that if you're east, you should leave and go somewhere else. West might be okay.

Floridians,

Is this, terrible?

That's not a fucking game. Hollywood is in the evacuation zone. Tell them to take their asses to a shelter if they're going to ride it out.

Hollywood is close to the beach. East or west of 95? They're saying that if you're east, you should leave and go somewhere else. West might be okay.

yea this.

Redmoon

Couldnt get to the condo, so im stuck here in Fort Lauderdale :/

I thought it was east of Federal Highway (US1)?

Kaiken

Banned
They had already booked the nights they are getting told the rates will go up on? Or are they extending their stay a couple nights and those new nights will be at a higher rate?

The former. Their trip was planned for a while now and was for one week.

TheZink

Yeah. I’m pretty sure that’s illegal.

The Midwest. Worst you'll get is tornados and ice stroms.

Then plus side is it's cheap. No coasts but plenty of lakes.

cntr

Banned
People have absolutely posted about death and I sure hope it was hyperbole. And since a wild percentage jump is subjective, thanks for letting me know you find it untrue?
Yes, I'm sure all those people in the Caribbean didn't actually die. And scientific scales and history are completely subjective, definitely.

Damn. Moving out of Florida does sound really tempting.
Maybe if I ever pay off my house, I'll flip it and retire somewhere in Minnesota or something.

geomon

Got the evacuation order on my door this morning so I've left Cutler Bay and now I'm at my mom's house in Hialeah. Gonna ride it out here and hope my apartment doesn't flood.

I'm currently in Italy in my honeymoon and did not prepare my house for the hurricane. I'm expecting the worst already and my cars, movie and videogame collection, furniture, basically everything to be destroyed by the wind or flooded.

This sucks, when I return home I'm expecting to be homeless if that thing really comes right down the middle as a Category 5.

At least me and the wife are safe, everyone stay safe out there. Most of my co-workers and friends evacuated to Orlando.

Top Bottom