• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

geomon

Im in Naples, and I had a room in sarasota, and they cancelled it saying they closed down the bridges. That's not true, is it? I don't have anywhere to go, now.
Bridges don't close until tropical storm winds hit. Just like the airport.

Ferrio

Banned
Damn. Moving out of Florida does sound really tempting.
Maybe if I ever pay off my house, I'll flip it and retire somewhere in Minnesota or something.

I lived in Houston Texas for 18 years and tropical storms/hurricanes were a yearly way of life. Looking back on it, that was insane. It's like playing russian roulette every fall. I know people say that there's disasters everywhere you go, but the SE coast is the only place where a natural disaster gets its own season.

ionitron

Couldnt get to the condo, so im stuck here in Fort Lauderdale :/

I thought it was east of Federal Highway (US1)?

I can't say for certain, I'm sorry. I know for sure that is the case with US1 (Or Biscayne for others) but I've also been told that those east of I-95 should be careful. Regardless, Hollywood in its western most portion (as far as I know, I'm in Hallandale) is still about 15/20 minutes away from the beach.

I'm currently in Italy in my honeymoon and did not prepare my house for the hurricane. I'm expecting the worst already and my cars, movie and videogame collection, furniture, basically everything to be destroyed by the wind or flooded.

This sucks, when I return home I'm expecting to be homeless if that thing really comes right down the middle as a Category 5.

At least me and the wife are safe, everyone stay safe out there.

Couldn't you get a Family member or Neighbor to atleast set up shutters for your House?
Man that sucks, hopefully your house will be safe when you return.

Might be thinking ahead a bit here, but planning for the future comforts me a bit, rather than sitting around worried if I'll die.

If I decided to peace out of FL after this, what places in the USA are worth living in these days? Ones with an untwistable hurricane?

If you can deal with the unbearable heat in the summer, Arizona doesn't have any natural disasters, it's beautiful, affordable, and has lots of stuff to do. Me personally, I got real tired of the summers though.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, to be honest, after Harvey and Irma, I can't see a long-term exodus from the Gulf Coast not happening. And at this rate, might not even need to be long-term for Florida. :/

geomon

Might be thinking ahead a bit here, but planning for the future comforts me a bit, rather than sitting around worried if I'll die.

If I decided to peace out of FL after this, what places in the USA are worth living in these days? Ones with an untwistable hurricane?
I'm leaving to southern Oregon in November. Already bought my ticket. Hopefully this will be my last hurricane before I leave.

chekhonte

Ug, my mom lives in Sarasota and isn't leaving. Hopefully the Hurricane will die down enough for her to be safe by the time it makes it half way up the Florida.

Sephzilla

Yeah, to be honest, after Harvey and Irma, I can't see a long-term exodus from the Gulf Coast not happening. And at this rate, might not even need to be long-term for Florida. :/

I'm surprised a mass exodus from New Orleans hasn't happened yet. That area is basically living on borrowed time

I'm seriously considering it as well after I finish Grad School.

Blizzard

Banned
Im in Naples, and I had a room in sarasota, and they cancelled it saying they closed down the bridges. That's not true, is it? I don't have anywhere to go, now.
Check with your local disaster management Twitter etc. I've seen them repeatedly correcting misinformation, and telling people causeways DO NOT close down before the storm. They are dangerous, but they are not closed.

I don't know why people think they will close every single hurricane.

However, this wasn't Naples or Sarasota.

high res latest euro
ecmwf_uv10g_miami_10.thumb.png.0aad6296a767cd276082f2f4688b10c1.png

ecmwf_uv10g_miami_11.thumb.png.c54a4d636e3b5d2bea6d4823c191b671.png

Briarios

Ug, my mom lives in Sarasota and isn't leaving. Hopefully the Hurricane will die down enough for her to be safe by the time it makes it half way up the Florida.

Leaving can be more dangerous than staying in certain situations. As long as she's not in an evacuation zone or a mobile home, she'll probably be fine. Storm surge shouldn't be too bad on the gulf side.

Kusagari

The continuous western tilt just makes the situation worse and worse. South Florida is still going to get slammed but now the entirety of the west coast is going to get it too.

Piano

Banned
Just finished a grueling 9 hour drive up to the Panhandle to escape the worst of it. Hoping against hope that it doesn't keep shifting west and come straight at us from the Gulf. If that happens, I guess I'll be booking it up to Atlanta...

That eye is going straight towards my family. I am very nervous, but I know being upset and nervous doesn't help anything. Just have to stay as proactive as possible.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I'm pretty happy out in Dallas, after living in Florida for 20 years. It hails far more often than in Florida, but that's about the only major weather issue IMO. Summer is dryer so it doesn't feel so bad to be outside, rain can be pretty big in the summer but is better compared to Florida's IMO. 200+ miles from the sea though, but the economy is pretty good.

Blizzard

Banned
The continuous western tilt just makes the situation worse and worse. South Florida is still going to get slammed but now the entirety of the west coast is going to get it too.
It gets better for the more populated east coast and potentially for people evacuating on 95 I'd imagine.

This is a little bit of good news for the east coast, right?

I am not so sure. I believe the northerly right quadrants of a hurricane are usually the strongest. I could be wrong, but the east coast will still feel the bad part of Irma
I know the entire Irma is bad :(

Blizzard

Banned
I thought more people were on 75?
I'm not sure, but I do think more people live on the east coast in general. Western Florida is rather spread out.

It's always going to be bad for someone, but I was just pointing out it's not pure bad news.

I am aware the northeast quadrant is stronger.

cntr

Banned
Irma moving west means that the eastern coast hits the northeastern portion of the hurricane, which is one of the worst parts. It's very bad.

Lkr

I'm not sure, but I do think more people live on the east coast in general. Western Florida is rather spread out.

It's always going to be bad for someone, but I was just pointing out it's not pure bad news.
They all are getting on I-10 if they're north of Orlando and all the Miami people were taking 95->turnpike->75 was the impression I got. 75 will take you to Atlanta, 95 to savannah which is still on the coast. Idk. Either way it's gonna suck for one of the coasts...unless what if it keeps moving west and misses Florida altogether 🤔🤔🤔🤔
That would also mean I have no excuse to eat the $60 worth of junk food I bought today in case I'm without power for an extended period of time

Kusagari

Irma moving west means that the eastern coast hits the northeastern portion of the hurricane, which is one of the worst parts. It's very bad.

Exactly, the current path is horrendous for the entire state. The eye travels the west coast while the Northeast quadrant slams South Florida.

chekhonte

Leaving can be more dangerous than staying in certain situations. As long as she's not in an evacuation zone or a mobile home, she'll probably be fine. Storm surge shouldn't be too bad on the gulf side.

She lives in a steel frame house so it's not going to blow away or anything but you see things get shredded by bits of trees and other houses.

Lkr

Did Florida enact any interstate contraflows? It doesnt look like they did judging from footage.
They're trying hard not to and are not expected to. They will open the left and right shoulder lanes for traffic before doing that is what I heard two days ago

Top Bottom