• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Did all I could to get my condo secured. Hurricane shutters are up, plywood on any other windows. All outdoor furniture is inside. I have to report to the hospital tomorrow morning and I'll be there until the storm has passed. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty nervous. There's no one to check on my place until I get back to it.

Lkr

It was brought up a bit back about how glass shatters due to pressure, not wind.

We've got aluminum shutters in front of all the windows and glass doors in our house. Will that protect the glass from pressure drops? Or should we stay far away from any glass doors/windows regardless?
Just stay away from windows, better safe than sorry
Tricky Rick is on the news right now saying evacuate evacuate evacuate. I don't know how many other ways he can say it but the ASL lady is going ham on her signing

weekev

Banned
Did all I could to get my condo secured. Hurricane shutters are up, plywood on any other windows. All outdoor furniture is inside. I have to report to the hospital tomorrow morning and I'll be there until the storm has passed. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty nervous. There's no one to check on my place until I get back to it.
You are one of the many heroes throughout this. Feels like I should avatar quote you.

Tovarisc

Did Disney finally close yet?

12:45 p.m.

Florida's theme parks are staying open until what seems to be the last moment before Hurricane Irma carves up the peninsula.

Universal Orlando has announced it is closing its parks Sunday, just ahead of when damaging winds should reach central Florida.

Universal Orlando says it's closing all three of its parks at 7 p.m. on Saturday and will remain closed through Monday.

Earlier Friday, Sea World said it will be closing its park on Sunday and Monday, as well. Disney World still has not confirmed its plans.

At this point, all of these parks anticipate re-opening on Tuesday.
https://apnews.com/059cfdddb1824982...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

AP keeps updating that article as stuff comes in so something to follow.

Grym

Did Disney finally close yet?

not officially yet...but...

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2017/09/08/will-walt-disney-world-theme-parks-close-hurricane-irma/

I was told to expect all the Walt Disney World theme parks to close at 5pm on Saturday and, at minimum, through Sunday and most likely will be closed on Monday as well. It's possible the parks could remain closed longer as needed for clean up. Disney has not officially announced this, but key leaders for the Ride Out teams are being notified. Disney usually announces closures at the last moment to avoid panic and reduce complaints. Your safety and the safety of the Cast is job #1 for Disney. This is not yet an official notice, but I have a HIGH degree of confidence that Disney World theme parks will close.

Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens are all closed Sunday and Monday. I'm sure Disney will announce soon as well.

I was a little worried while it was a Cat 5, but now I'm fine and just waiting for this thing to pass. Nobody I know is evacuating. Just in case, I've got all my valuables from upstairs in bags downstairs.

Sorry if I sound dismissive to panicked posters. I don't mean to.

DOWN

Banned
Idk but I find panic posts unnecessary. Prepare for the 4, don’t talk like you are watching your kids play on a beach as a a Tsunami is sweeping them inevitably to death. People posting about how dumb their family is like they are watching deaths is so over the top. This storm is wide but the strength isn’t a wild percentage jump over others for Florida and much of Florida isn’t getting full strength.

So yeah, if you panic post, my reaction might seem like downplaying.

SOLDIER

Might be thinking ahead a bit here, but planning for the future comforts me a bit, rather than sitting around worried if I'll die.

If I decided to peace out of FL after this, what places in the USA are worth living in these days? Ones with an untwistable hurricane?

Lkr

Might be thinking ahead a bit here, but planning for the future comforts me a bit, rather than sitting around worried if I'll die.

If I decided to peace out of FL after this, what places in the USA are worth living in these days? Ones with an untwistable hurricane?
You can't escape mother nature

Idk but I find panic posts unnecessary. Prepare for the 4, don't talk like you are watching your kids play on a beach as a a Tsunami is sweeping them inevitably to death. People posting about how dumb their family is like they are watching deaths is so over the top. This storm is wide but the strength isn't a wild percentage jump over others for Florida and much of Florida isn't getting full strength.

Good luck, but you haven't seen cat 4s near as often as you think you have.

DOWN

Banned

I hear earthquakes on the west coast are decent fun

JeTmAn81

You can't escape mother nature

There are plenty of places in the U.S. that don't have extreme weather. I live in Eastern Washington specifically because my dad picked this is as a safe place to live when I was a kid. No tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes. Of course lately we've been getting wildfires and we've had smoke everywhere this week. But it's miniscule compared to other places.

Idk but I find panic posts unnecessary. Prepare for the 4, don’t talk like you are watching your kids play on a beach as a a Tsunami is sweeping them inevitably to death. People posting about how dumb their family is like they are watching deaths is so over the top. This storm is wide but the strength isn’t a wild percentage jump over others for Florida and much of Florida isn’t getting full strength.

Dude, the governor is telling people to get the hell out. It's not a panic post to worry about people in the path of this storm.

kendrid

Banned
A coworker of mine on the west coast of Florida left at 5 am. In 4 hours they only traveled 90 miles so they turned around and went home. Their county is not under an evacuation notice so hopefully they end up okay.

Kusagari

Your "reactions" are literally you just making shit up like Palm Beach experiencing multiple 4's.

EBreda

Do they have a hotel booked? Because if not they're driving up there with no way of getting lodging.

Yeah, they're staying at a Disney resort, not sure which one though, I guess it's the Victorian style one.

Hopefully they get there on time. Just talked to them and they were casually having breakfast at a waffle House near the airport in Miami.

Screwed much? It will probably be a 8 hour drive through turnpike right?

Minnesota gets snow, but besides that we're pretty uneventful. Love living here.

SOLDIER

There are plenty of places in the U.S. that don't have extreme weather. I live in Eastern Washington specifically because my dad picked this is as a safe place to live when I was a kid. No tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes. Of course lately we've been getting wildfires and we've had smoke everywhere this week. But it's miniscule compared to other places.

If I may revise the criteria, cost of living and job markets would be a requirement too.

Also preferably places that wouldn't potentially lynch a latino.

I'm expecting to lose power. My concern is how long it will be out.

Take a cup

fill with water, freeze it

before you leave, put a quarter ontop

leave house

come back and examine the ice in the cup, if the quarter is near the bottom or moved at all, it'll be signs the power went out(and to throw away food!)

JeTmAn81

If I may revise the criteria, cost of living and job markets would be a requirement too.

Also preferably places that wouldn't potentially lynch a latino.

I was more mentioning eastern Washington as an example of a place without extreme weather, though it probably fits your criteria fine. Western Washington is better in a lot of senses but it's very expensive to live there.

If cherry is gone shit is real
Omg

Take a cup

fill with water, freeze it

before you leave, put a quarter ontop

leave house

come back and examine the ice in the cup, if the quarter is near the bottom or moved at all, it'll be signs the power went out(and to throw away food!)

Holy crap that's brilliant

Edit come move to Minneapolis and I'll visit you every few months. YMmv if that's a pro or con

Lkr

Yeah, they're staying at a Disney resort, not sure which one though, I guess it's the Victorian style one.

Hopefully they get there on time. Just talked to them and they were casually having breakfast at a waffle House near the airport in Miami.

Screwed much? It will probably be a 8 hour drive through turnpike right?
They'll be safe and taken care of at the Disney resort but they need to hurry the hell up and get there

Linkura

MA is fine other than the blizzards and snow. It's annoying to shovel that shit, but the power companies here are legit and the only thing that's going to happen is you might be stuck at home a couple days until you're able to dig out. Power outages are rare and they get up back up quickly. Doesn't cause any real damage unless your house is already falling apart. Other natural disasters are pretty much unheard of.

I'm worried about living here when I'm older as we won't be as able to shovel as we are now. We'd probably try hiring someone to do it.

maxcriden

Also in Minneapolis you have the best cheesecake in the entire country at The Salty Tart.

MA is fine other than the blizzards and snow. It's annoying to shovel that shit, but the power companies here are legit and the only thing that's going to happen is you might be stuck at home a couple days until you're able to dig out. Power outages are rare and they get up back up quickly. Doesn't cause any real damage unless your house is already falling apart. Other natural disasters are pretty much unheard of.

I'm worried about living here when I'm older as we won't be as able to shovel as we are now. We'd probably try hiring someone to do it.

I'll second MA as pretty disaster free. Western MA was a great place to live besides the cold weather. Other places we've lived with cold weather and no natural disaster concerns: MN (briefly), VT (though the extreme cold and poorly maintained hwys are a major knock against this one to me).

You can do that, or use gas snow blower. Gas snow blower was good to my dads back when he had to use it in Ohio.

I think anywhere in the US is pretty much capable of natural disasters. Upper midwest/upper new England I guess is least likely so long as you don't mind snow and cold. West coast has earth quakes and wild fires. Up here in the PNW we have volcanos and wild fires and the potential for a massive earthquake that will hit at some point and decimate the area.Then again there is the super massive volcano that is underneath yellowstone....ah yeah i dunno.

The North East is pretty great as far as natural disasters go, in my opinion. We have to deal with the odd large snow storm but, frankly, I find those more of an inconvenience than an actual threat. We do have to deal with hurricanes once and awhile, but depending on where you live that can be a pretty low risk. Obviously the shores of the northeast deal with it more (CT, MA, NJ, lower NY) but places like upstate NY don't have to deal with it as much.

Nor'Easter is really all the East Coast has to deal with(except if you're Hurricane Sandy). It's our version of a Hurricane-- but in Winter seasons!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Shutters are up and fully stocked.

Lets go!

QwBc7t6.jpg

...I need to clean my cupboards.

Giganteus

I find spreading false information before a life-threatening hurricane hits an entire state more unnecessary.

commedieu

Banned
Floridians,

Friends parents are in Hollywood...

They live in a garage. They are adamant about just riding it out.

Is this, terrible?

Linkura

You can do that, or use gas snow blower. Gas snow blower was good to my dads back when he had to use it in Ohio.

One of our neighbors has a snow blower. Another one is an iron worker. The iron worker plows through the snow like nothing with the snow blower and several of the driveways on the street. For free. All we have to do is clean off the cars and our entryway/steps. Our street has the best fucking neighbors.

Top Bottom