• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Sephzilla

Oh no the hurricane has gone nuclear

Oh no, what if it's not actually a hurricane

1cb149a73dbcbd299fc531ea1b0eb0b0.jpg

Seriously though, that's a dumb headline CNN

Shoeless

So I'm up in Canada and not too familiar with Florida geography. I have a sister-in-law living in Port Charlotte that's taking the "I don't need to make preparations, everything is fine, we'll be totally unaffected by the hurricane, and I'll be surprised if we even hear anything about it here, we're basically immune."

Is she right? The rest of the family is kind of flipping out about her seeking safety and she's all "You guys have no idea what you're talking about, we'll barely notice it here, it's going to be business as usual."

There are things you can't fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you're in a Jaeger, suddenly you can finally fight the hurricane. You can win.

img_6596dvsbw.gif

Not if I can time travel first! Then I don't have to deal with it!!!!

t-1000.gif

Lkr

So I'm up in Canada and not too familiar with Florida geography. I have a sister-in-law living in Port Charlotte that's taking the "I don't need to make preparations, everything is fine, we'll be totally unaffected by the hurricane, and I'll be surprised if we even hear anything about it here, we're basically immune."

Is she right? The rest of the family is kind of flipping out about her seeking safety and she's all "You guys have no idea what you're talking about, we'll barely notice it here, it's going to be business as usual."
Looking more and more like it will make landfall on the west coast and port Charlotte is on the west coast. Did she at least get food and water? She will be impacted in some way, we all will it seems

Horns

It's the storm surge flooding that is scary to me. If the water gets as high as some have predicted cars are going to be floating by.

Shoeless

Looking more and more like it will make landfall on the west coast and port Charlotte is on the west coast. Did she at least get food and water? She will be impacted in some way, we all will it seems

Last we heard from her, she's made zero preparations at all. She's just acting like it's going to be just another weekend.

Generate

Banned
Last we heard from her, she's made zero preparations at all. She's just acting like it's going to be just another weekend.

I really dont understand anyone living in southern Florida not being on high alert by an oncoming Hurricane. To me, hurricanes during the season would be the first thing on my mind because of Floridas low lying vulnerability.

Zee-Row

Banned
Even if I wanted to leave Florida the highways have so much gridlock that I would just be stuck on the road. Plus no more gas so i wouldnt get far anyway. I'm gonna have to face this shit head on.

Kusagari

She's probably one of these people who thought nobody but the East coast would be hit.

Port Charlotte is near the water and now in direct danger of having the eye go over it.

DOWN

Banned
You're arguing that math and meteorological history is subjective? I've seen some shit on GAF, but yikes.
Sorry, I’m not aware that there’s a defined objective number for “wild percentage” so please let me know what that number is that everyone else read “Wild” as since when I typed that phrase, I wasn’t aware it was an objective scientific phrase
Yes, I'm sure all those people in the Caribbean didn't actually die. And scientific scales and history are completely subjective, definitely.
Since we are in the Florida emergency thread, I have made it clear I am in Florida, and have been specifically talking to and about the anticipatory posts rather than any posts suggesting they’ve already personally weathered the storm, I thought it might be obvious that I am indeed talking about the anticipation rhetoric for mainland Florida and not island and coastal evacuees. I am not discouraging preparedness and of course everyone should know their evac options. I have nothing but empathy for the islands hurt by this storm.

Vyrance

I work at the walmart distribution in ft. Pierce, they cancelled work for the weekend. I'm using this valuable time to get my drinks in at the bars until the hurricane hits

ionitron

My neighbor honestly thinks that this is a government conspiracy induced in order to cause everyone to buy stuff from all the stores.

He always says this shit and I want to kick him every time 🙄

Lunar15

I evacuated up to some family living north of Tallahassee, now the models are headed near us lol. Ah well, I don't think it wlll be nearly as bad as down in Boca.

That said, Gonna help everyone get prepared up here, just in case. Less strong of a storm, but also less prepared to handle a storm. This thing's gonna just do a lot of damage no matter where it goes. Please be safe everyone.

Top Bottom