• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

It's going to be extremely Erie in this thread when the towers/power goes down and none of us can communicate any more.(at least the ones not leaving.) Keep the thread alive for us, talk about chicken tender subs while were gone

If cell phone towers go down in the Orlando area, then our only hope will be for the Rock to come save us.

Kusagari

My job told us to call/text them on Monday to see if we have work.

I have absolutely zero faith I'll have cell service after this, because I didn't after Wilma.

Zen Aku

I swear to God fucking old folks aren't taking this shit seriously at all. Hearing stories about how people parents are just like "whatever" attitude is killing me.

Like fucking run. It's a damn hurricane not small rain.

Btw I need help GAF. My mother is flying back from Houston to Orlando on Tuesday (she's flying from Japan to Houston). She'll be landing around 1pm. Do you think it will be safe for her to come back then? She can change her flight right now but it would delay her till next week. (the 19th).

She's freaking out, wanting to come home later. I think she'll be safe to come home on Tuesday.

Tuesday the airport in Orlando should be cleaned up and open. She should expect to just keep an eye out for what her airliner says. On paper, the storm will be already into Georgia given it's current path.

But it could return to cat 5 due to warm water near Florida, right?

Anyway even a cat4 is very dangerous, basically nothing changes.

Also worth noting that the eye has expanded now to 70 miles in diameter. Hurricane force winds on both coasts
59b2bb673e8b5.png

I swear to God fucking old folks aren't taking this shit seriously at all. Hearing stories about how people parents are just like "whatever" attitude is killing me.

Like fucking run. It's a damn hurricane not small rain.

Btw I need help GAF. My mother is flying back from Houston to Orlando on Tuesday (she's flying from Japan to Houston). She'll be landing around 1pm. Do you think it will be safe for her to come back then? She can change her flight right now but it would delay her till next week. (the 19th).

She's freaking out, wanting to come home later. I think she'll be safe to come home on Tuesday.

She should be OK but be prepared for a lot of ground delays because airlines will be trying to adjust their schedules and moving planes around to compensate for the backlog of flights disrupted due to the storm.

J-Rzez

People latching onto what they want to hear. "Its slowing down and weakening" sounds great, but its still Cat4 and slowing down over warm water along with the streams it has? Thing is going to strengthen in velocities, size, or both.

I took two classes in college as science electives about this stuff out of interest. And this storm is pretty wild thus far.

Told my friend his dad needs to GTFO regardless which side he's on to play it safe with patching shifts, and the fact everybody is going to get a bit of this storm in FL. Theyll get from not good to RIP if this storm strengthens up again.

Lkr

Ok, are there no Starbucks left open or something? It looks like they all closed early.

one of my friends was bitching earlier bc she has to go to work but the starbucks are all closed. seems weird that everything is shutting down this early and feels very eerie.

all orlando area publix shut down saturday at 8pm until further notice. OP and the thread title need to be updated

Unbounded

Old people are used to this shit by now. Pretty sure they're just out of fucks to give after all the hurricanes they've lived through.

cwmartin

The last set of 4’s weren’t that crazy in Palm Beach County tbh. Some of y’all are scaring yourselves. You can calmly supply up my friends.

You're constant need to downplay a storm in which the characteristics nobody has ever seen, is surprising.

Jeremy

I'm afraid people will be stuck in traffic during the storm and a lot more will die than if they stayed

I have this fear too but I haven't been monitoring anything. My friend is leaving out of Tampa today but hadn't left last I talked around 9AM. Anyone know if he'll have issues?

In Jacksonville looks like we're dodging another bullet here. Probably some trees will fall and the shoreline will get some flooding but projections show the eyewall going west. Stay safe Gainesville.

Sami+

It's going to be extremely Erie in this thread when the towers/power goes down and none of us can communicate any more.(at least the ones not leaving.) Keep the thread alive for us, talk about chicken tender subs while were gone

Something else, with out power(cause it will go away) for weeks a lot of people won't be able to track jose. Fucking a this is bad. If you have the means to leave, go.

Lol.

Man, I'm really dreading the power outage. Shit's gonna be miserable. Was out for three days last year and I was fucking dying. 😭

"Prepare for the worst hope for the best."-I don't know who.

Just took everything in one last time before it may all be gone. Lol, couldn't help but cry. At least I got the tears out of the way right? I really really hope it's not as bad as my fears are telling me it's going to be, but I've come to terms with losing all my material items. House stuff parents house their stuff. They just received my Christmas gift(gaming laptop to play pubg) Wednesday and it's probably going to be ruined. Haha ah life. God willing well still have each other after all is send is done.

Thank you gaf. You've all been real. Thanks for letting me live journal, I'll be here in the thread till the power goes. Getting this out of my system now though.

Much much much love <3

For the new page: Link is in the email tag. Quote to view

This is access to the FloridaGaf Tracking Sheet.

You're doing yeoman's work on this. I wanted you to know your work is appreciated. Ill try to relay info I get from Collier EOC since we'll be in a place with wifi and generators

im gonna try to make my way to publix right after work tonight to see if i can try my very first publix chicken tender sub. what a time to be alive ladies and gents!

C.Mongler

The last set of 4’s weren’t that crazy in Palm Beach County tbh. Some of y’all are scaring yourselves. You can calmly supply up my friends.

What "last set of 4's"? There's only been two 4+ hurricanes that have made landfall in FL in the past 50 years. Charley didn't really land near Palm Beach County and also passed over the state relatively quickly, in about half a day, and Andrew absolutely wrecked some shit, so I wouldn't say it 'wasn't that crazy'. Don't spread complete misinformation please; people who are in the area unquestionably need to prepare for the worst.

SOLDIER

It was brought up a bit back about how glass shatters due to pressure, not wind.

We've got aluminum shutters in front of all the windows and glass doors in our house. Will that protect the glass from pressure drops? Or should we stay far away from any glass doors/windows regardless?

Top Bottom