• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
For the new page: Link is in the email tag. Quote to view

This is access to the FloridaGaf Tracking Sheet. Stay safe Florida GAF, stay in communication with one another.

Had to cut a business trip short from Costa Mesa, California to get back to Orlando. Took the red eye last night and been getting everything done since 6am. Thankfully my wife had been taking care of the preparations since the beginning of the week so just heavy lifting and bringing thinigs in ( pool draining etc.) Have all supplies accounted for.

Originally from Miami so we've been through Andrew and Wilma and the rest of them, but this one has me a bit more nervous even though i'm living further north now and more inland.

Good luck Florida gaffers. We'll get through this.

CoolOff

My neighbor honestly thinks that this is a government conspiracy induced in order to cause everyone to buy stuff from all the stores.

He always says this shit and I want to kick him every time 🙄

Tell him to ride out and meet it this weekend then.

Socreges

Banned
My neighbor honestly thinks that this is a government conspiracy induced in order to cause everyone to buy stuff from all the stores.

Does he think the footage from Harvey was Industrial Light & Magic?

More importantly, does he live in the probable path of Irma?

Obviously a Rush Limbaugh listener.

Tell him that the guy he heard that from evacuated Florida.

Lunar15

I'm in Land O Lakes, about 30 minutes outside of Tampa. Am I already dead?

Storm Surge really only affects the coast. I don't think Land O Lakes is near the coast?

Storm surge is basically a big "wave" of water that lifts the sea level. It's not a flash flood caused by rain.

That said, do some research. Find out where flood maps are and look up tampa's storm surge estimations. If your area is prone to flooding, it's very possible. Just do the necessary research.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
CNN has gave Syfy an idea for an Syfy Original Movie. Nuclear Hurricane...

I was chatting in a game and just jokingly tossed out the question of what would happen to the hurricane if a comet composed mostly of ice were to impact the eye while it was directly over ocean. (Obviously the comet would be orders of magnitude worse than the hurricane.) A bunch of people then thought that Hurricomet would be an excellent Syfy original picture.

LiK

Tell him to check out Miami this weekend.

dickroach

I just talked to my dad down in Boca. he says all the stores down there were getting re-stocked with water, etc shortly after they ran out and the gas lines were online 20 minutes the last couple of days. he lives in a new building. he aint worried
and my friends down there are all riding it out too.

mackattk

Well that is basically what rush Limbaugh said. Well rush evacuated already. Wonder how many people he is going to hurt and potentially kill because of his "fake news" agenda.

Steejee

Glad to see it's lost a little strength. Full Cat 5 hitting Miami would be insane, but if it's still a 4 when it reaches it's still going to be bad. Hell, strong 3 straight on will be bad enough.

Good luck to anyone down there still, and to those Cubans in the path.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've got family deciding to ride it out in the Orlando area. Possibly going to a shelter. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like the wrong decision.

Briarios

I'm in Land O Lakes, about 30 minutes outside of Tampa. Inland, not on the coast. Am I already dead?

I'm in Tampa, you should be fine in LoL -- just get up anything outside that could be a projectile and hunker down. They're anticipating about 9 inches of rain, so as long as you don't usually flood, just prepare for loss of power.

Linkura

My folks who are staying in PSL aren't in an evac zone, but they're fairly close to one. Their house is also less than 10 years old IIRC. How concerned should I be? I'm thinking they'll probably be safe, but their homes might be fairly damaged. I'm more pissed than anything else that they're subjecting young children and an elderly person to this. They'll survive, but it's going to be terrible for them.

dickroach

My folks who are staying in PSL aren't in an evac zone, but they're fairly close to one. Their house is also less than 10 years old IIRC. How concerned should I be? I'm thinking they'll probably be safe, but their homes might be fairly damaged. I'm more pissed than anything else that they're subjecting young children and an elderly person to this. They'll survive, but it's going to be terrible for them.

there'll be trees knocked over and roads flooded a little, and they'll probably be without power for a few days, but I wouldn't worry about much else.

Vyrance

They should be fairly safe. At this point the roads are going to be clogged so they are safer staying put.

We're running out of water here.

I'm north of fucking Atlanta. Some people have lost their minds.

The Floridians are coming.

I live in Alpharetta but work in Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area. I swear there is way more traffic out there than normal at lunch time. Almost got hit by a Florida license plate, honked and the lady barely noticed, but that's normal for Florida drivers.

Haven't noticed stores being out of stuff that I would find quite weird.

EBreda

They'll be safe and taken care of at the Disney resort but they need to hurry the hell up and get there

Just a followup, they just got to Orlando. So maybe turnpike wasn't thaaat crowded.

I think they're safe now at Disney.

In Tampa. My work just called as I was getting ready to go in and told me they're closing until Monday at the earliest. Glad I picked up Destiny 2 to keep my mind off the impending chaos and uncertain doom, haha. Lived here 28 years and never seen a storm like this coming right up our asses like this one seems it's going to. Anyway, back to D2.

Linkura

there'll be trees knocked over and roads flooded a little, and they'll probably be without power for a few days, but I wouldn't worry about much else.

They should be fairly safe. At this point the roads are going to be clogged so they are safer staying put.

Thanks guys. One of my cousins is an ER nurse so that may have affected their decision to stay. They probably didn't want to break up the family since she likely had to stay. Her husband is also a construction guy so I'm sure he made sure the house is as secure as possible.

Is that dark green path just the fuck NC path.

Not really. By the time the center of it is well north of Florida and certainly through Georgia (assuming it stays over land the entire time), there's not going to be much to it other than rain and sporadic severe thunderstorms, nothing that's abnormal for these areas. It will have long since been downgraded to "remants of Irma" by the time it's in TN and elsewhere. The big problem for these areas would be if the thing stalled out, like Harvey did in Texas.

breakfuss

Perhaps I should be more concerned with our well being, but I just know we're going to lose fucking power in Tampa and that's what frustrates me the most lol. Shit goes out at the slightest sneeze. Oh, and no internet. Sigh. However there are people at risk of losing everything so I'll just count my blessings I guess.

We're running out of water here.

I'm north of fucking Atlanta. Some people have lost their minds.

Yeah. I'm in Charlotte. I haven't been the grocery store in a few days, but I've seen pictures on Twitter (from local media) of depleted water sections in stores.

On one hand, that's crazy. But on the other, earlier paths had it possibly coming over the Atlantic and then inland, and Charlotte remembers Hurricane Hugo that hit Charleston, SC, and was still packing 90 MPH winds as it blew through Charlotte hours later.

Oh no the hurricane has gone nuclear

maxresdefault.jpg

UPS has had one of the packages I need for the storm at their facility in Daytona Beach since 4AM this morning. I see it doesn't leave the facility in the morning like it normally would so I decided to go and check if they were closed, understaffed, or what and if I could get my package.

I get there, they are open. I hear a man in front of me offer 150 dollars for the lady at the desk to go and find his package, he is refused, so I know I'm not going to get mine, but I would like to hear the reason why. Obviously the hurricane is the reason given, but they are clearly fully staffed from all the cars in the parking lot which the lady acknowledges.

Did they open the facility so everyone can scream at this lady at the front desk? While everyone in the back listens to the screaming and laughs? Because I was damn close to screaming at her, and the guy in front of me with the money did before he stormed out. I know it's not her fault though. I'm so fucking pissed right now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn just heard from fellow GAFer Broggie Doge who's emergency personnel in FL.

He said last night was INSANE. He worked 6p to 6a, and he said he's never seen the state like this. Crisis mode in full effect.

Top Bottom