• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
DJOivCuVYAEoDzI.jpg

:/

iamcenok

I was hoping with the parks closing early tomorrow night through Monday, that I'd be able to avoid coming in, but nah. Disney still wants me to come in.

I'm not keen on coming from the UCF area to Disney just to drive back at 11pm. [/salty]

How are the roads doing? Hopefully they're starting to clear out? What's the government's plan if there's a parking lot on I-75 while the storm is directly overhead?

Toni

I'm in Orlando.

Super scared, but we are readying for the worst. I was born in Puerto Rico and my family was there for Hurricane Andrew and George.

After keeping up with all the news and updates so far about Irma, I'm begining to fear for our lives lol. Never have a Hurricane of this magnitude hit Florida before.

chekhonte

I think FPL threw a bunch of the weak above-ground powerlines that got knocked down underground after those 04-05 storms?

yeah power lines are burried in central and south florida for the most part. I just visited my mom in Sarasota this year and I noticed that there were no power poles anywhere and I asked her about it.

Lkr

I'm in Orlando.

Super scared, but we are readying for the worst. I was born in Puerto Rico and my family was there for Hurricane Andrew and George.

After keeping up with all the news and updates so far about Irma, I'm begining to fear for our lives lol. Never have a Hurricane of this magnitude hit Florida before.
Don't let the media hype get to you. Keep tuned to Tom Terry on channel 9 we will be fine in Orlando. It will get bad but we will all be fine

This sounds horrible, but if the current track holds it might be the least awful scenario. Far enough west that Miami wouldn't get the worst worst of it, not too far west that the everglades doesn't get the strongest quadrant, and the center stays onshore to keep surge on the west coast lower. Nothing should be written off entirely yet, mind you.

Oh, and the west wobble is back. This 1) sucks for Cuba, and 2) complicates things for Florida further.

Wag

My elderly parents give no fucks. They won't leave for anything.

One level split ranch. Outside porch modified for glass windows with aluminum roof. No shutters on any of the windows.

At least they live in a retirement community so hopefully they'll get checked on every once in a while.

Perhaps I should be more concerned with our well being, but I just know we're going to lose fucking power in Tampa and that's what frustrates me the most lol. Shit goes out at the slightest sneeze. Oh, and no internet. Sigh. However there are people at risk of losing everything so I'll just count my blessings I guess.
Get some some board games and MTG. Problem solved.

am i bad person for worrying about a lack of air conditioning while the power is out? i know that's a stupid thing to worry about with all the actual real consequences that are going to come from this storm, but fuuuuuuuuuck it's going to be miserable. i'm a giant baby when it comes to air conditioning

Blizzard

Banned
My elderly parents give no fucks. They won't leave for anything.

One level split ranch. Outside porch modified for glass windows with aluminum roof. No shutters on any of the windows.

At least they live in a retirement community so hopefully they'll get checked on every once in a while.
I think the way this works is that you have a limited lifetime supply of fucks. Once you've given them all, which usually happens by old age, that's it. No more fucks given.

Won't get to Central Florida until 9am the earliest on Sunday. Yet MCO insists on shutting it down at 5pm on Saturday, complete joke.

Damn just heard from fellow GAFer Broggie Doge who's emergency personnel in FL.

He said last night was INSANE. He worked 6p to 6a, and he said he's never seen the state like this. Crisis mode in full effect.

There is a sharp edge to the air. You can sense it on people even in traffic. Most people are driving calm but everyone is strung tight. I'm kind of enjoying the sensation. Feels primitive.

am i bad person for worrying about a lack of air conditioning while the power is out? i know that's a stupid thing to worry about with all the actual real consequences that are going to come from this storm, but fuuuuuuuuuck it's going to be miserable. i'm a giant baby when it comes to air conditioning

Same here. I have the A/C constantly blowing in my apartment because I can't stand Florida humidity.

Currently in Bradenton/Sarasota. Voluntary evacuation has been announced. Mandatory evacuation for those living by water, though, as well as those in mobile homes.

Vestal

Won't get to Central Florida until 9am the earliest on Sunday. Yet MCO insists on shutting it down at 5pm on Saturday, complete joke.

First off, Tropical Storm conditions can be expected as early as Saturday evening in the CFL area.

Second....

Its a precautionary measure. Plane breaking down on the runway, flight delays etc could cause those planes to have to stay grounded during hurricane winds.

It makes absolute sense.

Same here. I have the A/C constantly blowing in my apartment because I can't stand Florida humidity.

I don't even know how anyone can live in Florida. I was stationed there for a year and it is so hot and humid. You sweat just walking outside. Plus you have those flying cockroaches and alligators lol

Top Bottom