• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

sony-s2-d-fs601-tv-weather-radio-walkman-g-protection-portable-cd-player-works-68c5b21a98c61fe4771b9061a38304b9.jpg

thats a blast from the past...

Generate

Banned
am i bad person for worrying about a lack of air conditioning while the power is out? i know that's a stupid thing to worry about with all the actual real consequences that are going to come from this storm, but fuuuuuuuuuck it's going to be miserable. i'm a giant baby when it comes to air conditioning

Get a small window unit and a small generator to power it. My Father has three generators. One for fridge, one for AC, one for general purpose during hurricanes.

dickroach

I can't believe there are people in the Keys still. Watching a webcam and people are still just walking around, or riding bikes, not a huge number, but its a LONG drive to where you need to get.

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

people in the keys don't give a shit about shit.
on CNN last night they were interviewing a local bar owner, and he was just like "yeah we're just gonna ride it out" and then they had to cut him off because he was drunk and cursed twice

Nilaul

At this point, you wonder if there's even point rebuilding Florida if this is going to become a regular occurrence cause of global warming. I understand families and businesses made it their home but in the long run, it might be safer and cheaper just move everyone.

At this point, you wonder if there's even point rebuilding Florida if this is going to become a regular occurrence cause of global warming. I understand families and businesses made it their home but in the long run, it might be safer just move everyone.

Where are they going to go then?

dickroach

At this point, you wonder if there's even point rebuilding Florida if this is going to become a regular occurrence cause of global warming. I understand families and businesses made it their home but in the long run, it might be safer and cheaper just move everyone.

hurricanes aside, the sea levels are rising, and the Florida coast (y'know, where 80% of the state's population is) is literally going to underwater in 100 years.
people ain't leaving though
in fact they're building more and more high rises and condos every day

am i bad person for worrying about a lack of air conditioning while the power is out? i know that's a stupid thing to worry about with all the actual real consequences that are going to come from this storm, but fuuuuuuuuuck it's going to be miserable. i'm a giant baby when it comes to air conditioning

Uh, I'm pretty sure that's everyone's main concern when it comes to power being out in Florida. The humidity and heat is absolutely unbearable without A/C.

kendrid

Banned
I can't believe there are people in the Keys still. Watching a webcam and people are still just walking around, or riding bikes, not a huge number, but its a LONG drive to where you need to get.

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

I hope those cams stay up for a while. I watched St. Thomas cameras quite late into the storm. I would think it was bad then an hour later realize what I had seen was nothing.

There is a stray/loose dog walking around on camera 2 right now. Someone needs to catch him.

Dre3001

hurricanes aside, the sea levels are rising, and the Florida coast (y'know, where 80% of the state's population is) is literally going to underwater in 100 years.
people ain't leaving though
in fact they're building more and more high rises and condos every day

Florida is going to end up doing what New Orleans and other cities do and build levees to deal with the sea levels and hurricanes.

Vestal

I guess we should just not rebuild in the Caribbean islands either right? I mean they are in the path of these storms after all. What about Texas?

Forcing the state to higher building code standards is the path forward.

Saganator

Good. The mental health issues w/ this population make this the right call.

I also think it's good, but I'm worried about those with serious mental health issues. They probably won't react very well to being detained and might do something while in jail to keep them there for longer. I guess that's better than dying in a hurricane, though.

cntr

Banned
No way there isn't a New Orleans-style population drain after all this, but people aren't going to completely abandon the place. The people who stick behind will just keep on preparing for hurricanes.

Generate

Banned
No way there isn't a New Orleans-style population drain after all this, but people aren't going to completely abandon the place. The people who stick behind will just keep on preparing for hurricanes.

New Orleans situation involved a lot of poverty and made some areas uninhabitable for years afterwards. Florida has a lot of money and will rebuild much of what is destroyed. Florida cities also arent fundamentally screwed by being below sea level. At least not yet.

Barzul

Where Miami? Why would you think that? Miami is not under sea level like NOLA I think.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Forcing the state to higher building code standards is the path forward.

I'd argue the state building codes are fine, it's even excessive from what my Dad says in a few places, he has beens a state certified residential contractor for over 30 years now in Florida.

The problem is Storm Surge and older buildings.

breakfuss

Haha bro the only thing I'm worried about is the internet so don't feel bad. I honestly don't know how I'm going to make it. Exaggerating of course...but still.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What really gets me are the people who aren't leaving their homes bc they say they've endured hurricanes before. Not like this one you haven't! Hope they end up OK bc no one will rescue them

With this kind of size and slowness of movement, there's going to end up being portions of Florida under 5-10 hours of constant hurricane winds.

In South Florida, anyone who wants to sell for cheap will have no problem finding buyers. I'd buy a place in Orlando if people got desperate.

oh wow lol the eye's going right into tampa now?
I was talking to my friend last night who was sitting in traffic on 75 driving from Boca to Tampa

this thing just keeps trending father and farther west though.
it could pull a Katrina

The cone is sliding ever so slightly to the west.

This might be a terror, but it's Florida's terror and is not Katrina.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, that triangle section of water between Cuba, the keys and the Bahamas are abnormally warm, so yeah, there's some energy to build back up any lost power.

Kusagari

The environment is favorable for Irma to maintain its category 4
status, and only unpredictable eyewall replacement cycles could
result in intensity fluctuations during the next 48 hours. The
interaction of the hurricane's circulation with Cuba will probably
not result in any relevant change in intensity. In summary, the NHC
forecast brings Irma near south Florida as a category 4 hurricane.
After landfall, interaction with land and an increase in wind shear
should induce gradual weakening.

NHC not expecting Cuba to weaken Irma at all.

Lies. All week lies saying it was turning north. Fuck em I dont believe them now with their track of lies. This thing is going to circle the bottom of florida, ride along the coast, and come to port right through the bay of tampa.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
How are people running out of water? If worse comes to worse, get some soda or fill some containers with tap water.

Lies. All week lies saying it was turning north. Fuck em I dont believe them now with their track of lies. This thing is going to circle the bottom of florida, ride along the coast, and come to port right through the bay of tampa.

Still too early. I think any predicted turns are still pegged for tomorrow night. That will be crucial here.

it's better to be overprepared than caught with your pants down. i'm hoping it doesn't turn north, but who knows at this point

Top Bottom