• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

154010_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png.412856d2788de1bbc9de20decda30ec3.png

Dre3001

Very much doubt it. For anyone who leaves, more will come.

In South Florida, anyone who wants to sell for cheap will have no problem finding buyers. I'd buy a place in Orlando if people got desperate.

Outside of hurricanes, South Florida will never have trouble attracting people to move there. Hell, I am in North Florida now, and have been looking at relocating to south florida for the last few months. This hurricane changes nothing.

Say goodbye to Naples and Sanibel Island. They will never be the same again.

I fear for Marco Island as well. A lot of places are gonna get flooded. Last time I seen it there, they still had a couple of 1 story houses that aren't up on 16 foot stilts.

I just want people to get out of there.

My folks are staying, and they pretty much live in a bunker. They aren't leaving.

Sephzilla

oh wow lol the eye's going right into tampa now?
I was talking to my friend last night who was sitting in traffic on 75 driving from Boca to Tampa

this thing just keeps trending father and farther west though.
it could pull a Katrina

I'm just curious, is there any remote possibility this thing swings further west and goes into the gulf? cuz wouldn't getting into the gulf make this storm even worse?

III-V

Tampa FL has been within the cone of uncertainty since , I dunno, Wednesday? What has not been accurate? Thats the idea behind the cone, don't be surprised when it lands anywhere within it.

Generate

Banned
No way there isn't a New Orleans-style population drain after all this, but people aren't going to completely abandon the place. The people who stick behind will just keep on preparing for hurricanes.

New Orleans situation involved a lot of poverty and made some areas uninhabitable for years afterwards. Florida has a lot of money and will rebuild much of what is destroyed. Florida cities also arent fundamentally screwed by being below sea level. At least not yet.

My parents live west of Gainesville in Levy County. Apparently there's also an evacuation warning there but they don't know where to go.

Maybe toward Nashville?

The most recent track looks like tally is getting fucked hard. I'm officially worried. I'm gonna start packing tonight to drive up to Alabama and gtfo.

Kusagari

The entire point of the cone was that anywhere in FL was basically in danger. Nobody should have taken a storm this mammoth for granted. All it was ever going to take was a couple wobbles west for Tampa to be in the crosshairs.

Generate

Banned
oh wow lol the eye's going right into tampa now?
I was talking to my friend last night who was sitting in traffic on 75 driving from Boca to Tampa

this thing just keeps trending father and farther west though.
it could pull a Katrina

It wont do that. There is a weakness in the ridge above it and its going to follow that. The storm wants to move poleward.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm just curious, is there any remote possibility this thing swings further west and goes into the gulf? cuz wouldn't getting into the gulf make this storm even worse?

Can someone answer Sephzilla's question? If it goes 40 miles more west than we think and it touches the Gulf....what happens?

ok, so fpl is preparing people for the possibility of being without power for weeks, but how likely is that? i'm in the sarasota/bradenton area.

ok, so fpl is preparing people for the possibility of being without power for weeks, but how likely is that? i'm in the sarasota/bradenton area.

Extremely likely. Wilma left many of us in Broward without power for at least two weeks. If you take damage beyond that too, it will be even longer.

MartyStu

Can someone answer Sephzilla's question? If it goes 40 miles more west than we think and it touches the Gulf....what happens?

Powers up and then proceeds to fuck up anyone in the direction it chooses.

It is perhaps the disaster scenario for people in the panhandle.

In 2004, I was without power for 3.5 weeks in West Palm.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Powers up and then proceeds to fuck up anyone in the direction it chooses.

It is perhaps the disaster scenario for people in the panhandle.

Yeah, if it somehow just kept going west and then landed on the panhandle, I'd just about expect it to still be a hurricane up here in Birmingham.

Piano

Banned
Please please please don't swing west into the Gulf. I drove all day to get up to the Panhandle. I don't want to keep running.

Top Bottom