• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

What is the effect for Orlando area? Got a cousin there.

90+ mph winds, trees and limbs falling all over the place looking for cars to smash against, gas, water, and other supply shortages due to panic and evacuees from the southern area of the state. In terms of flooding, there are a few areas around Orlando that are susceptible but not nearly as much as coastal areas. The biggest problem will probably be extended power outages.

Mifune

Mehmber
My mom and her husband live in Naples. They have bags packed and ready to go to a shelter tomorrow. She still seems to think that they might just tough it out at home but I'm like, "Mom, please."

Freaking out way more than she is. Stay safe, Florida peeps!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My mom and her husband live in Naples. They have bags packed and ready to go to a shelter tomorrow. She still seems to think that they might just tough it out at home but I'm like, "Mom, please."

Freaking out way more than she is.
Hopefully the shelter isn't full.

Otnopolit

Doesn't matter how sturdy your home may be, the whole place is gonna be swallowed by the sea. It was always my greatest fear growing up there, and we dodged a bullet with Andrew. But this is gonna be the end of the Keys as they are. It'll be rebuilt I'm sure, but it won't be my home anymore.

I'm so sorry you have to live through the destruction of your home. That sounds impossibly hard. Thoughts out to you and the other Floridians on this board or otherwise.

Valhelm

contribute something
If you live where the eye is supposed to hit, get your ass inland to a shelter. Even if you've got great shutters, there's a good chance the winds can peel your roof off.

Kusagari

That language about the Keys is insane. And you know theres hundreds of people sticking it out there because they think they'll be fine.

That seems harsh no? Seems like a wonderful place.
Yeah it was an even nicer place before humans and urbanization wrecked it. Southern Florida in general plays a pivotal role in the ecology and climate in the Gulf and the world. Us wrecking and destroying it only leads to more natural disasters. Also with climate change and rising water, it will only continue to become more inhabitable for humans. Why bother constantly rebuilding something that will keep getting destroyed.

I know someone who lives in Leesburg. We haven't spoken regularly in awhile but I know she and her sister and mom are still at their house. I'm worried but I don't want to call them and be all freaked out if they are gonna be safe at home.

Basically their mom is elderly, her sister has had some issues and may not be much help. So it's just her. I'm concerned but I'm in NY and I feel helpless.

recon_NOAA2-2311A-IRMA.png

sinkfla87

Please please please don't swing west into the Gulf. I drove all day to get up to the Panhandle. I don't want to keep running.

I've never seen so many people come to my town before, I mean why else would anyone? Haha. But yeah there's a lot of people who evacuated to here who are now worried that they're still going to get affected :(. If this thing goes into the gulf then I am fucked.

KevinG

Wouldn't be shocked if it's sold out. I'd imagine airline tickets are going to be slim pickings for today and tomorrow. Other airlines seem to be offering caps too, but at a higher ceiling.

I just think the site has crashed and the phones are all tied up.

This was a last ditch effort anyway.

Snaku

Banned
I am holding out hope for you. How far inland did you go?

I live in VA now, but the Keys are still my home. Desperately trying to find out if my friends got out yet. At least most of my family is out, save for my uncle who has to stay and run the EOC.

I lived in Naples for about a decade. Rode out Charley (hit north of us), Wilma (blew some tiles off our roof), but this looks bad for them, especially with the most recent forecast track update.

My wife still has many friends in the SWFL area. Hopefully they will all be OK!

Gamerman1

So far that is what it is doing. I lived in Tampa up until June 12th when I bought a home on the border of New Port Richey and Tarpon Springs.(23 miles to the west near coast) I am not in a flood zone but I have forrest wetlands 15 feet behind my house and 10 feet on the right. Huge area actually. Bone dry when I moved in. Now a a foot or more deep with water. Ground and lakes are saturated from 7 inches of rain we got last week from just normal wet weather.

Neighbor said she has been here since 1993 and as never seen the it overflow or flood as Army Corp of Engineers and Swiftmud made it so the wetlands flow into other wetlands and lakes when they get to certain levels. They say Irma may only dump 4-8 inches tops on my area MAYBE as its supposed to be more of a wind event hurricane than rain because of how fast its moving and not hanging around. Not in flood zone so didnt need flood insurance.

Still nervous as I have spent a good deal of money painting and buying lots of decorative shit and the usual new house stuff. New driveway poured last month. Just had HUGE oak tree in front lawn removed Monday as its roots destroyed old driveway. Had stump ground down too. I guess I can call that good timing. Wind would have branches everywhere or worse. It is what it is. Hope to pull through okay. Care more for my parents and their pets 9 miles north of me.

My parents are thankfully set for this beast of a hurricane. Helped them all day prepare the house, which didn't include installing boards for the windows this time. A lot of money went into those impact windows, so they'll have to wait and see if the investment was worth it.

The worst that could happen is the poor older pets having heartattacks from the crazy weather >.>

Zackat

I am on the east coast and even though it is seemingly going towards the west, we are probably still gonna get a lot of wind. They have to be releasing a ton of water out of Okeechobee, the river is already quite high.

Worried about all the people down in the southwest :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That seems harsh no? Seems like a wonderful place.

Climate change is harsh. There's going to be really rough consequences for it. The best we can do is try to mitigate those consequences, and that probably includes to us abandoning places like that. Honestly, it's likely even Miami will have to be largely abandoned eventually.

Things are only going to get worse from here.

Climate change is harsh. There's going to be really rough consequences for it. The best we can do is try to mitigate those consequences, and that probably includes to us abandoning places like that. Honestly, it's likely even Miami will have to be largely abandoned eventually.

Things are only going to get worse from here.

I think it would take a decade of yearly beatdowns for this to ever gain traction.

Said this before but as a UK Gaf dude, please stay safe all!

Been watching some CNN (sorry) and shit looks terrifying.

Thoughts are with you all.

Beautiful. I assume you are an emergency responder/essential personnel. Godspeed, friend.

It's amazingly beutiful. But empty and spooky today.

Im a Planner, running a part of our Emergency Operations Center. The real heroes are eating and prepping as we speak. It's a team effort, and my part is small, but I'm proud of our team, and I hope we can make life slightly easier for our citizens and guests after this is all over.

We appreciate the thoughts though.

what am i lookin at here

Information from the latest pass of the Hurricane Hunters plane as it gets observations inside of Irma.

Notably:

The first dropsonde is finding a pressure of 925 mb near the eye, and at least one point of sustained winds of 137 knots or higher (157 mph or higher) was reported during the pass through the eyewall.

FyreWulff

I decided to play "where is the hurricane' via looking at flight radar even though i don't have a paid account that shows weather radar on it

t4uUPb1.png

that lone plane is the NOAA hurricane hunter plane in the middle of it :V

edit: NOAA42

Top Bottom