• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Will it still be a category 4 when it hits Jupiter?

I'd say the storm would probably still be at that level. If the hurricane winds are at a 75 mile radius, that's a good width of the state down there. Obviously, the further west, the better for you at Jupiter. If it lands on the keys, it's bad, if it lands at like Naples or Ft. Myers, it might be "better."

Mostly, I'd just rather be inland away from any surge, and then its a solid concrete building to withstand the winds, and hopefully avoid flying trees and debris.

Kino_

For anyone in Kendall or SW Miami, how severe of a flood will we receive? I'm actually in Atlanta rn but my family's house is along 104th St. I can imagine the hysteria over there.

0 days without it in sarasota for charley or wilma

i'm not asking what some areas are likely to get, i'm asking how widespread it's going to be. everything i've been watching locally doesn't make it sound that serious, but people in this thread are acting like it's a guarantee that all of florida will be without power for several weeks

You are asking us to predict the future

qcf x2

Is this accurate? I don't think I've ever seen green lines in Miami.

ok, so fpl is preparing people for the possibility of being without power for weeks, but how likely is that? i'm in the sarasota/bradenton area.

Idk, I'd guess most will get power back within a couple days, they are a lot better at these things than they used to be. In the Caribbean I once went 3 months without power after a hurricane. Now that was tough (but it was pre internet so I just played outside).

The middle ground is that going through a hurricane of this size at this strength is not fun, either during or after. Even if your safety is 100% guaranteed it's going to be a nightmare, and if I was in it's path I'd gtfo just so I could sleep soundly for the next few days before having to return to devastation.

"return to devastation" is that unnecessarily dramatic shit i was talking about. i know that i'm not going to get the positive responses that i seek, but i feel like this thread is full of people trying to scare other people.

sflufan

Banned
Is this accurate? I don't think I've ever seen green lines in Miami.

I'm willing to bet that you could cruise down the Palmetto Expressway right about now and not encounter a single other vehicle.

Everyone has either fled or has hunkered down.

theBmZ

I work at a hotel in Gainesville, if anybody happens to be looking for a room there while heading north, nobody has any rooms here as far as I'm aware.

Ferrio

Banned
"return to devastation" is that unnecessarily dramatic shit i was talking about. i know that i'm not going to get the positive responses that i seek, but i feel like this thread is full of people trying to scare other people.

It's a cat 4/5 hurricane, devastation is what it will do. Whether it affects your area that badly who knows, but it's going to tear shit up badly. The worst hurricane I was in was a Cat 3 (Alicia-Houston), and the amount of damage it did was unreal.

sflufan

Banned

You asked the question if being in the area that the eye passes over is a "good" thing. That demonstrates a terribly flawed understanding of the situation to begin with.

Ponn

Banned
I'm not real worried about myself here in JAX. It is looking more and more like a Matthew repeat for us but without the beaches area being in as much peril. Tornadoes and flooding is my main concern.

I'm scared to death for my sis and family in Bonita Springs though. They are in a flood area and their house is older. Could not convince them to leave because of her animals and birds. I'm dreading when power goes out down there and phones go down and wont be able to check on her for who knows when.

I'm willing to bet that you could cruise down the Palmetto Expressway right about now and not encounter a single other vehicle.

Everyone has either fled or has hunkered down.

You will still see cars because people are doing things. Miami isn't completely shut down yet.

You asked the question if being in the area that the eye passes over is a "good" thing. That demonstrates a somewhat flawed understanding of the situation to begin with.

because somebody literally said that in this thread. i think i should just stop reading this thread, because it's not doing me any good.

RoKKeR

Just got a CNN notification that this is shifting further west and is going to become a Cat5 again? Holy hell, this storm is insane.

I hope nobody is playing games with this and gets the hell out of there. My aunt and cousin are in Tampa and just caught a flight out today. I hope everybody is able to get somewhere safe.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is there any portion of South Florida that is over 20-30ft above sea level? Worrying about the surge being higher than that :/

sEk5HCS.gif

holy shit at that central pressure on sunday night

I'm not real worried about myself here in JAX. It is looking more and more like a Matthew repeat for us but without the beaches area being in as much peril. Tornadoes and flooding is my main concern.

I'm scared to death for my sis and family in Bonita Springs though. They are in a flood area and their house is older. Could not convince them to leave because of her animals and birds. I'm dreading when power goes out down there and phones go down and wont be able to check on her for who knows when.

Matthew was really nothing outside the beaches. I think this will be a good bit more of an event than Matthew.

I don't recall ever hearing that type of dire language before from the NHC.

Yeah, only time I've heard that is from individual NWS offices (Slidell/New Orleans office during Katrina; and the Corpus Christi office during Harvey being two examples that come to mind).

III-V

Doesn't matter how sturdy your home may be, the whole place is gonna be swallowed by the sea. It was always my greatest fear growing up there, and we dodged a bullet with Andrew. But this is gonna be the end of the Keys as they are. It'll be rebuilt I'm sure, but it won't be my home anymore.

I am holding out hope for you. How far inland did you go?

Jag

West Broward here. Got an invite for a free private plane ride out with my family and dog early this morning. Hard to say no to that, so threw a bunch of crap in a bag and left. Riding it out in Ohio. Stay safe FL GAF.

Syder

Watch that guy livesteam again from there.

You talking that Emmy winning storm chaser? That dude is nuts

Jeff piotrowski his studio just installed storm shutters at the office to keep svcs going

Hey, if he could cheat death once...
https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'd say the storm would probably still be at that level. If the hurricane winds are at a 75 mile radius, that's a good width of the state down there. Obviously, the further west, the better for you at Jupiter. If it lands on the keys, it's bad, if it lands at like Naples or Ft. Myers, it might be "better."

Mostly, I'd just rather be inland away from any surge, and then its a solid concrete building to withstand the winds, and hopefully avoid flying trees and debris.
Sounds like it may be a category 1 where I am.

https://twitter.com/weatherprof/status/906281630255472641

Saw a release from Delta on Facebook. Adding capacity to Florida to get people out. Even bringing in some wide body international 747 aircraft for domestic flights. 5,000 seats added so far.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Doesn't matter how sturdy your home may be, the whole place is gonna be swallowed by the sea. It was always my greatest fear growing up there, and we dodged a bullet with Andrew. But this is gonna be the end of the Keys as they are. It'll be rebuilt I'm sure, but it won't be my home anymore.
Yeah, I'm afraid all of the history there is going to be wiped away.

Saw a release from Delta on Facebook. Adding capacity to Florida to get people out. Even bringing in some wide body international 747 aircraft for domestic flights. 5,000 seats added so far.

Yea, they were supposed to retire their entire fleet of 747s in a few months. It's great to see them being used in this circumstance. I love the 747.

Top Bottom