• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

i was skeptical in leaving S. Florida. picking up and abandoning your home, not knowing if you'll see that same house ever again.

the more i see projections of Irma hitting Florida, the more confident i am of my decision to evacuate.

jzt8OuN.png

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/906268399918911488

Worth noting:

That last record had four storms in the Atlantic basin: Betsy (which was winding down as a Cat 1 hurricane), Carla (a Cat 5 that was less than 24 hours from plowing into the same parts of Texas that Harvey hit), Debbie (a Cat 3 storm in the eastern Atlantic), and Esther (which had just become a tropical storm and eventually would be a hurricane).

Today broke the record with one fewer storm, which tells you how insanely strong Irma and Jose are.

JosiahB

My mom and her husband live in Naples. They have bags packed and ready to go to a shelter tomorrow. She still seems to think that they might just tough it out at home but I'm like, "Mom, please."

Freaking out way more than she is. Stay safe, Florida peeps!

Live in Naples myself. Felt really erie driving home from work downtown on 41 with all the traffic lights blinking yellow in the daytime. So weird to have such a nice sunny day, knowing what's coming.

My dad's still talking about staying in our house for the thing... It's a manufactured home, so basically a trailer (a new one, but still). I said fuck that, I'm driving to a friend's house in the early morning.

Gamerman1

Hoping it turns early. Which is bad for the east. Its a clusterfuck anyway you look at it. I can only hope it weakens quick and maybe drops to low Cat 3 or high CAT 2 before it hits my general area.

Just found out some of the renters at my Dads house in the Keys (Marathon) decided to stay and ride it out. I can't even believe it.

He's here in California so he can't really do anything.

That.. seems like a really really bad idea, right?

Just found out some of the renters at my Dads house in the Keys (Marathon) decided to stay and ride it out. I can't even believe it.

Your dad will have to find new renters because his current ones will be dead if they stay. This thing is barreling straight for Marathon.

III-V

Has a good chance to die this weekend.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

they're gunna be dead.

they don't happen to be going to that bar live streaming from the keys as the storm hits, are they?

Lombax

Banned

Yup that's a crazy terrible idea.

Alebrije

Did they pay advanced rent?

err yeah right now it's predicted to go right over marathon as a cat 5.

Polari

Yeah, I mean they're probably going to drown right? Won't the storm surges there wipe out the whole area?

Dinokill

It look like is going to hit Florida more at the center per Euro and GFS. Hopefully this bitch stay out the west as much as possible.

Kusagari

The NHC basically just said anyone left in the Keys will die.

It's amazingly beutiful. But empty and spooky today.

Im a Planner, running a part of our Emergency Operations Center. The real heroes are eating and prepping as we speak. It's a team effort, and my part is small, but I'm proud of our team, and I hope we can make life slightly easier for our citizens and guests after this is all over.

We appreciate the thoughts though.

... This is weird. Are you full time EOC staff or are you PSC?

they're gunna be dead.

they don't happen to be going to that bar live streaming from the keys as the storm hits, are they?

At least that seems like a better way to go out..

Yeah, I mean they're probably going to drown right? Won't the storm surges there wipe out the whole area?

I thought 20 foot surges were expected, it seems like that would swallow the whole island? Let alone the wind and everything else. I don't get it. I don't know anything about them or whatever just the bits I'm hearing.

Fuck get the fuck out people. That NWS message is not unclear.

bruh with storm surge and that much rain/wind most of the keys may very well be gone/unrecognizable after this. i'd hate to say it but unless they are somehow elevated substantially, they might be 100/100 screwed unless they get out

Yes they are taking a risk with their lives.

Some folks won't know how something like an apocalyptic hurricane feels like until it actually hits them in the face.

Tovarisc

If there is any local police etc. to contact you guys should contact them and tell about these renters. Their lives could still be saved.

I don't live in US so I have no idea about that area when it comes to things like presence of police, but what I have followed in news these renters basically chose to die.... :(

Syder

Sure… just 'ride out' literal Hell on Earth…

These people are deluded.

The inner eye wall is <10 miles from the Cuban coast. It's a completely empty area throughout the barrier islands, thankfully.
edit: NOAA42
Random trivia I love sharing every hurricane: Several of the hurricane hunter wing's aircraft are named for muppets. This one is Kermit. Gonzo is a high-altitude (above/away from the storm) recon plane and Miss Piggy doesn't get that much use. There's also a Fozzie somewhere, or at least was. There's a guy live on CNN that's on a mission in Gonzo right now, actually.
I've been waiting all day for memes of this. Damn that man looks good in natural light. Giving 2005 Cooper a run for his money.

Kusagari

11 hours ago, it was estimated there were still 40-50,000 people left in the Keys.

There are going to be thousands of deaths from people refusing to evacuate.

11 hours ago, it was estimated there were still 40-50,000 people left in the Keys.

There are going to be thousands of deaths from people refusing to evacuate.

are you fucking kidding me? my issue isn't with grown ass consenting adults deciding to virtually attempt suicide by staying, it's the children and pets who have no choice.

god damn it

Top Bottom