• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Giganteus

11 hours ago, it was estimated there were still 40-50,000 people left in the Keys.

There are going to be thousands of deaths from people refusing to evacuate.
That's...insane. Do you have a source for that? I almost dont believe it. Surely that number will go down a good amount by Saturday/Sunday. I hope.

sflufan

Banned
Do yourself a favor and delete/unfollow all of those "Alternative" government agency accounts. They are about as non-credible as the Trump administration itself.

Alebrije

11 hours ago, it was estimated there were still 40-50,000 people left in the Keys.

There are going to be thousands of deaths from people refusing to evacuate.

If this is not wrong , there will be a lot of missing lives.

Hard to believe but after those people drinking in the bar like nothing it could be possible

Sure… just 'ride out' literal Hell on Earth…

These people are deluded.

Seriously. They're on the 2nd floor of a concrete building with food and water.. but I don't think that is going to be nearly enough. If the water gets as high as its supposed to, its basically a concrete tomb.

I've been sending him all the info I can get to pass on to them. The "get the fuck out" NWS Keys report. The Phone # from the governor/etc.

cntr

Banned
Jeff said, "I'm not going to the Keys. I'd really like to be out there, but I'm not gonna be. It's just too dangerous. I don't want to be stuck out there and risk my life for drowning, it's not worth it."
Looks like he's planning to watch from South Beach.

Full-time EOC. ICS Resource Lead for planning section. After the storm, lead for the damage assessment teams

You guys have hard shifts at EOC during these things. You're in tally right? At least you'll be safe there.

I'm probably leaving so look outside afterwards and tell me how bad it is in Southwood!

Kusagari

Do yourself a favor and delete/unfollow all of those "Alternative" government agency accounts. They are about as non-credible as the Trump administration itself.

Gotcha. Sorry. I saw them tweeting out numbers, reporting on actual stories from the Keys and they had 100k+ followers so figured it was at least semi-legit.

dB78DDa.jpg

XZ0QFar.jpg

KP94wdd.jpg
^

sflufan

Banned
I'm going to reiterate what I said earlier: once this is over, the Keys should not be rebuilt.

Buy out those with property and turn it entirely into a national park that can be visited, but no longer allow any permanent residency.

cntr

Banned
Man, I live nowhere near Florida so maybe it's a silly reaction, but keeping up with this is giving me the nerves.

Stay safe, you guys. :(

cwmartin

I'm legitimately scared for my fellow Americans all the way up here in Connecticut. Please everyone do your best to stay safe.

Syder

Seriously. They're on the 2nd floor of a concrete building with food and water.. but I don't think that is going to be nearly enough. If the water gets as high as its supposed to, its basically a concrete tomb.

I've been sending him all the info I can get to pass on to them. The "get the fuck out" NWS Keys report. The Phone # from the governor/etc.
These people are gambling with their lives. The current predictions could potentially see them die but what if things turn out even worse than thought right now? Irma is expected to strengthen again before it makes landfall in Florida.

I really hope you or something convinces the people you know to get the hell out of there.

partime

But won't staying in the Keys be equivalent to being on one of the islands that got hit?

Devistation but livable? Sorry just asking!

sflufan

Banned
But won't staying in the Keys be equivalent to being on one of the islands that got hit?

I simply don't know the dynamics of the Keys vs Barbuda to determine any similarity or difference.

Actually, I'd say that perhaps the same logic should apply to Barbuda as well. Speaking as an American, I'd rather see the Keys permanently evacuated and turned into a national park. I'll leave what should be done about Barbuda to the government in Antigua.

Alebrije

The keys are far worse dangerous than Bermuda , some of them could be covered by water completely not the case of Caribbean islands

Even if, how long will it take for people to get aid out there? They're gonna be trapped for who knows how long. That and the keys are barely about sea level and tiny. It's gonna look like no island even exist out there for awhile after this thing barrels through.

Ponn

Banned
As far as the Keys go i'm figuring mass devastation. I'm morbidly interested in how the bridges connecting the Keys hold up during this. It was always a little freaky driving over them knowing you were right over the ocean. I'm not sure about the history of them but I can't remember them going through something like this with a direct hit.

Grym

Barbuda's highest point above sea level is 125 feet. Key West's highest is 18 feet.

How high is the storm surge going to be? The Keys may be competely submerged

People have been posting these for weeks now. It just shows possible paths.

Oh I know. But that doesn't mean everyone coming into the thread knows what these spaghetti maps mean, what the right column means, what service provided what path line, if some of them are just aggregates, etc.

Graphs shouldn't be posted without at least basic explanation. Assume people don't know what they're looking at.

IrishNinja

19 more shelters today if y'all haven't heard, there's still room here at the Monroe one if you know any keys residents needing space

I simply don't know the dynamics of the Keys vs Barbuda to determine any similarity or difference.

Actually, I'd say that perhaps the same logic should apply to Barbuda as well. Speaking as an American, I'd rather see the Keys permanently evacuated and turned into a national park. I'll leave what should be done about Barbuda to the government in Antigua.

Most of the islands in the caribbean have some manner of topography and size so they won't be completely overrun by the storm surge.

The Keys are basically glorified sand bars, that will be completely overrun by the storm surge.

I wish I had convinced my boyfriend to get the hell out of there.

At least he's not in an official evacuation zone. How bad is it supposed to be for West Palm Beach?

Prez

Why isn't the government forcing these people out? In other countries the government would be sending people out there to make sure no one's left.

FyreWulff

the keys are like hoping you'll survive a river flood by standing on a sandbar

this is why even the first responders are leaving. whoever stays behind is willfully committing suicide.

Top Bottom