• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Leedogg

Irma_OFCI_current.jpeg

It's going to be out awhile....

3 weeks without it after Charley.

0 days without it in sarasota for charley or wilma

i'm not asking what some areas are likely to get, i'm asking how widespread it's going to be. everything i've been watching locally doesn't make it sound that serious, but people in this thread are acting like it's a guarantee that all of florida will be without power for several weeks

So all this week my parents in Tampa freaking out for me and my grandparents here in Miami. Non stop calls and so on. And now it looks like they may get it worse, now im the one freaking out for them.

I haven't slept normally in days and won't for the next weeks with no power and shit. I want this to just be over already.

BahamutX83

Neo Member
Yeah, this could get very ugly for us in the panhandle.

Worst case scenario it would be catastrophic if the eye stays over water but the storm itself skirts the west coast right into the Big Bend area. This is nuts.

Yeah, if it somehow just kept going west and then landed on the panhandle, I'd just about expect it to still be a hurricane up here in Birmingham.

I was planning on going to Birmingham from the panhandle. Is Birmingham usually pretty good on flooding and hurricane prep?

Ferrio

Banned
I don't understand people asking about specific time frames of power being off etc. It's such an uncertain thing to ask and you're never going to get a clear cut answer. The only thing people can confirmly say is if you get hit when it makes landfall it's going to suck bad.

sflufan

Banned
At this point, this storm has traumatized Floridians as a whole more than any other that I can remember, largely because of the significant degree of uncertainty surrounding its ultimate destination.

There should be a lot of soul searching among Floridians living on the coasts as well as the political and economic leadership as to whether significant residential construction along the coastlines is something that should be encouraged -- if not outright, disincentivized.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I was planning on going to Birmingham from the panhandle. Is Birmingham usually pretty good on flooding and hurricane prep?

I imagine for a city so far from the coast, and at a higher elevation to not really ever need to worry about hurricanes, it's probably ok. They've had a decent weather system put in because of the amount of tornadoes the area gets (non-hurricane related). Definitely seen "hurricane evac" signs on the highway, ever since Katrina (they're placed mostly for evac from the west ie. Louisiana/Mississippi)

I mean, floods can happen, but I imagine most will be based around area creeks and rivers, and there's plenty of area in between those. Lots of hills and mountains to give good ground to stay about flooded areas.

There's just alot of trees up here, the kind that aren't used to sustained hurricane level winds, so the potential for power outages can be high here too, from downed trees.

E-Cat

I don't understand people asking about specific time frames of power being off etc. It's such an uncertain thing to ask and you're never going to get a clear cut answer. The only thing people can confirmly say is if you get hit when it makes landfall it's going to suck bad.
Yeah, it's like asking "what time should I take a piss next Sunday?"

Vestal

will Miami burn?

There will be looting for sure.

I just got back from driving down US-19 here in Pinellas. I can already tell it is going to look quiet different in 2 days. Too many big signs, and windows.. not enough storm shutters. Its going to be insane, and the looting will probably be intense as well.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Everything's inside, save for a few plants, and the shutters are mostly drawn. Everything else will get done by tonight.

It shifted more to the west, I think I'll be okay.
So all this week my parents in Tampa freaking out for me and my grandparents here in Miami. Non stop calls and so on. And now it looks like they may get it worse, now im the one freaking out for them.

I haven't slept normally in days and won't for the next weeks with no power and shit. I want this to just be over already.
I was actually in St. Petersburg a few days ago. I'm praying that you and your family will be okay.

i wasn't looking for specifics, i was just trying to find some middle ground between the people who downplay everything and the people who predict the absolute worst.

Dinokill

How likely will Irma debilitate before touching Sarasota/Bradenton area? Now it looks like we will get hit pretty fucking hard. Should I move my ass to Orlando?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
At this point, this storm has traumatized Floridians as a whole more than any other that I can remember, largely because of the significant degree of uncertainty surrounding its ultimate destination.

There should be a lot of soul searching among Floridians living on the coasts as well as the political and economic leadership as to whether significant residential construction along the coastlines is something that should be encouraged -- if not outright, disincentivized.

I think structures can, and to a large degree already have, been built to withstand hurricanes. Especially new structures built since Andrew.

It will be interesting to see if there is any clear pattern of damage after the storm, I think the underestimated issue is building quality. Building codes can only deal with shoddy construction so much.

The issue I see is dealing with Storm Surge and the possibility of 20 feet of water suddenly appearing. That is considerably more difficult, and expensive to deal with.

Sunster

There will be looting for sure.

I just got back from driving down US-19 here in Pinellas. I can already tell it is going to look quiet different in 2 days. Too many big signs, and windows.. not enough storm shutters. Its going to be insane, and the looting will probably be intense as well.

yea I feel like people here in Pinellas just don't get it. Almost no one is boarding up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Everything's inside, save for a few plants, and the shutters are mostly drawn. Everything else will get done by tonight.

It shifted more to the west, I think I'll be okay.

The east side of the hurricane is the worst side. Might manage to avoid the storm surge on the upper east side of the state, but the hurricane winds are much worse than the west side of the eye.

Kusagari

yea I feel like people here in Pinellas just don't get it. Almost no one is boarding up.

I feel like a lot of the west coast never took the cone seriously because all the attention was focused on South Florida.

Now they have precious little time to prepare.

Came to post this basically. Was going to comment I've never seen the state on pins and needles like this before. Shook levels at an all time high. At the same time I'm proud everyone is taking this serious and taking the right precautions.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The east side of the hurricane is the worst side. Might manage to avoid the storm surge on the upper east side of the state, but the hurricane winds are much worse than the west side of the eye.
Will it still be a category 4 when it hits Jupiter?

I imagine for a city so far from the coast, and at a higher elevation to not really ever need to worry about hurricanes, it's probably ok. They've had a decent weather system put in because of the amount of tornadoes the area gets (non-hurricane related). Definitely seen "hurricane evac" signs on the highway, ever since Katrina (they're placed mostly for evac from the west ie. Louisiana/Mississippi)

I mean, floods can happen, but I imagine most will be based around area creeks and rivers, and there's plenty of area in between those. Lots of hills and mountains to give good ground to stay about flooded areas.

There's just alot of trees up here, the kind that aren't used to sustained hurricane level winds, so the potential for power outages can be high here too, from downed trees.

UGH I appreciate the answer but my safe space is about to be hit and now I'm pissed.

Lubricus

St. Petersburg is in for some rough times. I imagine flooding will be extensive. All those condos on the bay and the beach. A lot of retirees.

Ferrio

Banned
i wasn't looking for specifics, i was just trying to find some middle ground between the people who downplay everything and the people who predict the absolute worst.

The middle ground is that going through a hurricane of this size at this strength is not fun, either during or after. Even if your safety is 100% guaranteed it's going to be a nightmare, and if I was in it's path I'd gtfo just so I could sleep soundly for the next few days before having to return to devastation.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I know it's selfish because it would mean devastation for other areas along the gulf, but I really hope this thing keeps drifting more west.

Sunster

I think structures can, and to a large degree already have, been built to withstand hurricanes. Especially new structures built since Andrew.

It will be interesting to see if there is any clear pattern of damage after the storm, I think the underestimated issue is building quality. Building codes can only deal with shoddy construction so much.

The issue I see is dealing with Storm Surge and the possibility of 20 feet of water suddenly appearing. That is considerably more difficult, and expensive to deal with.

not storm related but those Miami residential towers on the coast need to stahp. that city is going to be underwater in the years to come and they are still building those things.

St. Petersburg is in for some rough times. I imagine flooding will be extensive. All those condos on the bay and the beach. A lot of retirees.

lmao. city was out in force just yesterday clearing storm drains. obviously they failed because we got a little rain today and STILL main avenues flooded.

sflufan

Banned

Beyond structural integrity, there needs to be outright financial disincentives to significant residential construction along the coastlines and the most logical hammer is for insurance companies to simply refuse to insure any new construction residential properties or if the owner of the existing property changes.

I havent even lived in this house for 2 months and now theres a chance it will be destroyed. Built in 1947 and kind of stands out in the open and elevated.

Top Bottom