• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

This west movement the past 6 hours into Cuba throws a wrench in forecast.

Plane found a 163mph surface wind. Let's see if it gets updated.

Unbounded

So hypothetical: How many fans would it take at the highest setting on constant blast to straight-up stop Irma in place?

How many to turn Irma around?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This west movement the past 6 hours into Cuba throws a wrench in forecast.

Plane found a 163mph surface wind. Let's see if it gets updated.

Wait, what's the difference with the forecast?

Trouble

Banned
Maybe in one of these, but only as a last resort.

images.jpg

But yeah, those people are dumb AF

You'd probably just drown then.

Generate

Banned
As far as the Keys go i'm figuring mass devastation. I'm morbidly interested in how the bridges connecting the Keys hold up during this. It was always a little freaky driving over them knowing you were right over the ocean. I'm not sure about the history of them but I can't remember them going through something like this with a direct hit.

Those bridges are built like other gulf coast bridges. They WILL wash away.

Tovarisc

Why isn't the government forcing these people out? In other countries the government would be sending people out there to make sure no one's left.

I was wondering this too. Why e.g. National Guard wasn't sent to Keys and literally drive people fuck out? Some laws preventing it?

So hypothetical: How many fans would it take at the highest setting on constant blast to straight-up stop Irma in place?

How many to turn Irma around?

I would hazard the answer would be infinite given the amount of fans necessary would be negated by the amount of space they take up. You would never be able to match the force of the hurricane.

Wait, what's the difference with the forecast?
Because of the angle of approach, even a turn 25 miles either way can dramatically mess with the final track from west coast to east coast. If it goes farther west and slower now in Cuba it might turn farther to the east in a few days.

This isn't a drastic change. It's still going to eat the entirety of Florida. There's no escaping that at this point.

Zutroy

I'm from the UK but was in the Florida Keys around this time two years ago. They were so beautiful and fun, crazy to think they could be wiped out in the next 48 hours!

Stay safe everyone in the storms path!

I was wondering this too. Why e.g. National Guard wasn't sent to Keys and literally drive people fuck out? Some laws preventing it?
Mandatory evacuation basically means that you're 100% on your own if you stay. And please make it easier to identify yourself if we find your body after.

III-V

Varies by state, but there is nothing Florida can do, that I am aware of to force them to leave. If they break curfew, I am not sure about that one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Because of the angle of approach, even a turn 25 miles either way can dramatically mess with the final track from west coast to east coast. If it goes farther west and slower now in Cuba it might turn farther to the east in a few days.

This isn't a drastic change. It's still going to eat the entirety of Florida. There's no escaping that at this point.

Anything taking this into account yet?

I'm in Charlotte county, so watching this like a hawk.

Blizzard

Banned
I hate misinformation SO FREAKING MUCH.

The local emergency management agency has had to tweet like 5 times in the past 2 days that the causeways are not closing. They do not close, every single storm. Every storm, they keep telling people this.

And yet my fiance had someone tell her today that the causeways close. I don't know if people are stupid or new to the area or what.

There was apparently also some rumor about a curfew they had to squash.

III-V

See this is what would be playing in my mind to get out of dodge because if that happens then this...

Makes any rescue, emergency services and utilities being repaired a nightmare scenario.

Yes, they could be stranded for some time.

Anything taking this into account yet?

I'm in Charlotte county, so watching this like a hawk.
This has only happened in the past few hours so it takes some time for models to get run again. If you look at all the projections from the last advisory spot Irma is entirely out of that envelope by 20-25 miles now. It shouldn't change the track hundreds of miles, but even a few matters a lot for varied parts of Florida. It's going to be almost impossible to know exactly when and how hard the turn is until it happens, honestly. What people want for high accuracy demands forecasts to have it nailed down to a 1-2 hour window, which is a crazy ask of the computers and forecasters.

I stayed in Key West for a week about a month ago with some friends that live down there.
The wife and her 3 year old kid went to Maine to stay with relatives, but the husband is staying down there for some stupid reason.

He's got supplies and stuff, but their home isn't even elevated (on stilts or whatever) and it's literally right next to water (a little channel that leads to the ocean).

My fiance and I were seriously considering moving down there in about 5-6 months, but if this hurricane hits like its expected to I don't know how many homes/businesses are even going to be left down there.

You guys have hard shifts at EOC during these things. You're in tally right? At least you'll be safe there.

I'm probably leaving so look outside afterwards and tell me how bad it is in Southwood!

LOL. Naw, left FDEM last year. I work for Marco Island. 8pm forecast has it hitting us head-on, now. Should be...interesting.

sflufan

Banned
If the Keys are a total loss, then I don't want a single dollar of taxpayer funds going to repair/restore the bridges. Just abandon the Keys at that point.

KevinG

How are cell towers gonna hold up in this? I fully expect not to have cell service for a week or two like after Charley, but then again, that was over 13 years ago.

Has the cell signal infrastructure improved in the past decade?

Prez

I stayed in Key West for a week about a month ago with some friends that live down there.
The wife and her 3 year old kid went to Maine to stay with relatives, but the husband is staying down there for some stupid reason.

He's got supplies and stuff, but their home isn't even elevated (on stilts or whatever) and it's literally right next to water (a little channel that leads to the ocean).

My fiance and I were seriously considering moving down there in about 5-6 months, but if this hurricane hits like its expected to I don't know how many homes/businesses are even going to be left down there.

That's insane. Poor kid will grow up without his father.

sflufan

Banned

What a terribly foolish, irresponsible husband and father.

Him staying there is incredibly irresponsible to his family.

11L_gefs_latest.thumb.png.843e49d621c79af8da1229ac66fe54b6.png

Looks like Alabama/Mississippi are gonna get drenched if the storm loops around the state like the models suggest.

I think Alabama needs the rain some. If I recall correctly, it's been a dry summer down here. Tuscaloosa is right where those tracks stop so I'm guessing we'll get some good rain totals here.

How are cell towers gonna hold up in this? I fully expect not to have cell service for a week or two like after Charley, but then again, that was over 13 years ago.

Why would cell towers fall. There's a lot of space for the wind to go through them

You'd probably just drown then.

They have self-contained oxygen systems.

Fun Fact: FEMA doesn't permit V Zone (coastal, high wave velocity zones) bathrooms at ground-level. So my former boss spent two years convincing them otherwise. This was one option presented as a design for beach communities who couldn't afford giant, elevated, ADA compliant restrooms.

Why would cell towers fall. There's a lot of space for the wind to go through them

ideally and physics-wise that's true. but when you have literal walls of gusts that have the insane numbers a cat 4/5 brings, it can create such force and pressure that unless those gaps are incredibly wide apart, still snap them like trees. cell phone towers still need wide beams for support and those can catch those intense sustained gusts

Redmoon

I'm wondering this as well. Cell service was terrible back in Wilma in 2005. How will 12 years of more robust networks, but more phones, cope, specially with this looking to knock out way more power to homes.

Top Bottom