• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

11L_gefs_latest.thumb.png.843e49d621c79af8da1229ac66fe54b6.png

Looks like Alabama/Mississippi are gonna get drenched if the storm loops around the state like the models suggest.

I am liking this less and less.

finally - terrifying stuff bit again, please don't believe rick scott gives two tugs of a dead dog's cock about first responders

If anyone was dumb enough to stay in the keys, they only have themselves to blame for whatever happens at this point.

EDIT: referring to the citizens, not the responders. They should leave. There was plenty of warning for the people to get out ahead of this.

KevinG

Why would cell towers fall. There's a lot of space for the wind to go through them

I'm wondering this as well. Cell service was terrible back in Wilma in 2005. How will 12 years of more robust networks, but more phones, cope, specially with this looking to knock out way more power to homes.

I just want a way to keep track of what it's doing while we're in thick of it, especially when the sun goes down and we have no power.

Az

Water is distributed to my neighbors. Jax looks like it will be worse than what was predicted. Tomorrow I am setting up my wife and kids and got my raft ready for the aftermath if needed.

IrishNinja

If anyone was dumb enough to stay in the keys, they only have themselves to blame for whatever happens at this point.

EDIT: referring to the citizens, not the responders. They should leave. There was plenty of warning for the people to get out ahead of this.

ehh I'd hesitate to say shit like that, there's poor folks in key largo too & promptly evacuating isn't an option for everyone

Redmoon

I just want a way to keep track of what it's doing while we're in thick of it, especially when the sun goes down and we have no power.

Get a portable radio and some batteries if you can. Got one myself when I realized cell/power/internet would be nonexistent during this. Despite the dominance of smartphones/tablets very very few have am/fm functionality enabled/built in. Kinda sucks when you think about it.

Tovarisc

How are cell towers gonna hold up in this? I fully expect not to have cell service for a week or two like after Charley, but then again, that was over 13 years ago.

Has the cell signal infrastructure improved in the past decade?

Expect government and/or service providers set up mobile links and cell stations after storm has passed in order to restore some coverage and service. Your normal towers most likely get wiped out.

Service capacity of network will most likely be lower than normal until they can rebuild proper links etc. back up.

Why would cell towers fall. There's a lot of space for the wind to go through them

ideally and physics-wise that's true. but when you have literal walls of gusts that have the insane numbers a cat 4/5 brings, it can create such force and pressure that unless those gaps are incredibly wide apart, still snap them like trees. cell phone towers still need wide beams for support and those can catch those intense sustained gusts

And even if towers themselves don't snap like twigs winds would rip all HW off of them. At that point it's just metal pole without further function as all antennas etc. are gone or severely damaged.

sinkfla87

At this rate, we may very well be fucked up here. While bottled water is out and gas is going out quickly, there's an eerie sense of calm from the locals in my town. No boarded up windows yet.

III-V

Expect government and/or service providers set up mobile links and cell stations after storm has passed in order to restore some coverage and service. Your normal towers most likely get wiped out.

Service capacity of network will most likely be lower than normal until they can rebuild proper links etc. back up.

And even if towers themselves don't snap like twigs winds would rip all HW off of them. At that point it's just metal pole without further function as all antennas etc. are gone or severely damaged.

This is accurate, and there are already mobilizations in place.

KevinG

Get a portable radio and some batteries if you can. Got one myself when I realized cell/power/internet would be nonexistent during this. Despite the dominance of smartphones/tablets very very few have am/fm functionality enabled/built in. Kinda sucks when you think about it.
Hoping to hit up a Walmart in the morning and find one. Winds will already be 30-40 mph by that point.

Went out several times today and couldnt find plywood or gas. Hoping early tomorrow i will at least be able to find gas so i can be mobile after the storm.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This has only happened in the past few hours so it takes some time for models to get run again. If you look at all the projections from the last advisory spot Irma is entirely out of that envelope by 20-25 miles now. It shouldn't change the track hundreds of miles, but even a few matters a lot for varied parts of Florida. It's going to be almost impossible to know exactly when and how hard the turn is until it happens, honestly. What people want for high accuracy demands forecasts to have it nailed down to a 1-2 hour window, which is a crazy ask of the computers and forecasters.

Yeah, i'll have to keep an eye out for the new models.
Interesting development.

My family is ready, after Charley we take no chances.

I assume this was already posted but it's a large thread so posting just in case.

From the National Hurricane Center.

They update the track at 5 and 11.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
People in the keys right now are insane. I'm honestly scared thinking about it, how can you possibly manage.

This is not a storm you ride out in the keys, not with the expected storm surge.

Gamerman1

How're my Tampa people holding up?

I used to live there. Probably 16 years. My WORK area is Tampa, Brandon and Lakeland. I have a feeling I will be dealing with many customer sites with damage and down networks. If they even have power. If I can even get to Tampa.

Fat4all

Banned
All my grandparents made it out of Florida, thank goodness. I was worried they'd take the risk and stay behind for some reason :/

I might still be working tomorrow as it's not expected for the storm to hit us here in Lake until Sunday morning.

Haven't heard from my boss at all... :/ Plus I need to get paid.

Zackat

the amount of posts in here with stories about people staying in the keys is seriously distressing to me. if you've been there, you can understand why it is so stupid.

Top Bottom