• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

It's looking likely that it won't hit Miami directly. A non direct hit is not worth evacuating over unless flooding is an issue. As for St Pete, if it rolls up the west side of FL it will be much weaker by the time it gets there. Not saying everyone is in the clear, but they most likely will be fine.

well thanks for that. I guess i can relax then.

Trouble

Banned
As of current projections, absolutely none.

Edit: as I suspected, he declared it primarily to expedite the process by which VA can provide assistance to other states in the area.

I was about to make a guess it was something along those lines. Most states grant the gov extra powers to allocate emergency resources during a state of emergency.

qcf x2

/incoming vent rant

At this point I'm much more worried about the aftermath.

Weeks without power is unimaginable with my dad. Having dementia where he watches the same movies every day, if he doesn't get that he screams and hits himself. I'm sure he'll be able to 'understand' for the first day or so, but any more than that and I have no idea what I can do.
Add onto that the lack of AC and water issues (we always have to fight to get him to drink even cold water) and that my mom has extreme anxiety so she's going to be flipping out often.
Then we get to worry about money issues for any home repairs (here's hoping this dinky house can show it's teeth) since we can barely keep up as is.

If this pans out that badly then none of the bad I've been going through these last years will compare to what's to come.
And obviously there's a chance of us all dying if the house gets destroyed, but here's hoping Irma isn't strong enough to do that by the time it reaches here.

I'm not sure I can even hope for much luck with the current path but that's all I can do.

That's rough man, after this one I'd say to invest in a generator if you can. If it hits Tampa it will likely be a lot weaker, so there's that.

III-V

EBKX5VQ.jpg

Current look at regional winds - this is why you already have 25 mph winds on South Beach.

getting restless in orlando tbh

I am so upset right now. I have friends I have known for forever down there on both the east and west side (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and St. Petersburg) they are all refusing to leave. They are saying they "will be fine", "we have a generator". A lot of my friends families are also down there and refuse to leave. They think they will be fine....It just makes me so upset because they've had a whole week of warning and could lose their lives.

If they are in a well protected house away from a flood zone they will be fine. Deaths happen a lot more because of floods than actual hurricane damage. The grand grand grand majority of people in these cities are staying put and we will mostly be fine.

DOWN

Banned
If they are in a well protected house away from a flood zone they will be fine. Deaths happen a lot more because of floods than actual hurricane damage. The grand grand grand majority of people in these cities are staying put and we will mostly be fine.
This is the truth. All of Florida isn’t gonna get flattened. Mobile homes tend to, but not a whole lot else. Power outages are the real annoyance for many.

Know if you are in a weak structure or flood area and find shelter. But many of us aren’t tbh

witness

In Orlando, just want this shit to be over with so I can go back to just living life and taking care of my family. Wish my biggest worry could go back to being how much of a brat is my son going to be during homework time.

I cant imagine what Id do if that happened to my home. Is your townhome older?

You sorta can, they make adaptors you can use batteries to charge usb devices. But honestly getting one of those storage lithium batteries is your best bet. I have one that will charge my phone twice.

How old is your house, and do you have shutters?

Home was built in 2005, so not too old. No shutters, but I only have three windows, two on the second floor on the north and south side of the house and one on the first floor on the south side. Patio faces the south as well.

MrNelson

Banned
If it hits Tampa it will likely be a lot weaker, so there's that.
The further West the track moves, the more likely it is to remain over the water longer, the more powerful it will be once it makes it to the Bay area. I know the 11 am advisory had it at about a 3 when it got to Orlando, but the 5 pm one has it likely remaining a 4 as it travels through the central part of the state since it would be making landfall around Naples as opposed the the southernmost part of the state.

III-V

The further West the track moves, the more likely it is to remain of the water longer, the more powerful it will be once it makes it to the Bay area. I know the 11 am advisory had it at about a 3 when it got to Orlando, but the 5 pm one has it likely remaining a 4 as it travels through the central part of the state since it would be making landfall around Naples as opposed the the southernmost part of the state.

Yes, its rapidly becoming a terrible event for Tampa.

FTF

Flipping through channels, I'm finding it hard to believe spiketv playing the day after tomorrow right now is just coincidence :/

Dinokill

I'm in Sarasota/Bradenton Zone D area. I got supplies and sandbags and I will be trying to get plywood tomorrow morning and then find a multi-leveled parking lot to park my car for the rest of the weekend. I'm just want that fucking bitch Irma to get here already to get this over with.

If I died I hope is quickly and painless.

dickroach

i didn't know there were so many meteorologists on Gaf

everyone knows everything when it's time for it
there were so many boxing experts in the Mayweather/McGregor thread.

there are also a bunch of Floridians who have been through a few hurricanes so they have some idea, but obviously no one knows exactly what to expect when this is literally the biggest, baddest storm ever

Clearing my backlog of PS4 games before I pack everything into airtight containers.

3-5ft of flood water is predicted in my area, so I have to wedge a big container containing every electronic and PC in my house as close to the ceiling as I can.
Where do you live?

Astral

Did anyone in Miami Dade lose power for like a minute just now? Did they announce that they were cutting the power or something? It was odd.

Anyone can be anything with the internet.

lol it's crazy how unpredictable nature really is when you have one person saying its going to hit Miami directly, one person saying it wont, one person saying evacuation wasn't necessary, one person saying Tampa won't get hit that hard, one person saying Key West will be underwater, and my neighbor saying nothing will happen, it's all a fluke

what is a hurricane even

III-V

R Scott on weather channel right now pleading for those in the keys to leave now. Tells them we may not be able to rescue you.

lol it's crazy how unpredictable nature really is when you have one person saying its going to hit Miami directly, one person saying it wont, one person saying evacuation wasn't necessary, one person saying Tampa won't get hit that hard, one person saying Key West will be underwater, and my neighbor saying nothing will happen, it's all a fluke

what is a hurricane even

Very easy to know the latest for yourself, its all here.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/214634.shtml?cone#contents

The current track is not a direct hit over Miami, Tampa has a high chance of seeing hurricane force winds, and there will be loss of life and massive power outages across the state, many will be effected. Some sever, some not.

sflufan

Banned

what is a hurricane even

I see that the drugs are exceptionally good tonight, eh?

Kusagari

No one knows what the fuck is going to happen at this point; besides the Keys being fucked.

It all comes down to when it makes the northern turn.

Redmoon

Heh, found my old iPhone 4 and its charger as well. Yet another device to use during all this.

This thing feels so slow heh. Can't even install my new weather apps since its on ios 6. Sadly The sim card slot be broken so I can swap sims if I needed too.

Can you stop trolling? It's been days dude. No one thinks you are funny.

no one is trolling. how about sourcing the things you say before spouting out these weather reports? because shit is getting confusing.
i understand the hurricane is going through different projections but when people say random things it just gets more people worried.

what is a hurricane even
Even in this thread, Floridians are acting like a slight few mile shift for the eye of the storm makes the difference between them being in the clear or screwed. This storm is massive and the entire state is more or less screwed. Heaving sighs of relief because the eye now moved a few miles to the west of you is silly and lacks basic understanding of this storm. Sure it makes the difference of getting the absolute worst of it but the damage and risk for those living along the coast is terrible either way. There were certain armchair meteorologists in here a few days ago shutting down any talk of Irma reaching category 5 saying that it was impossible and just fear mongering.

Apt101

everyone knows everything when it's time for it
there were so many boxing experts in the Mayweather/McGregor thread.

there are also a bunch of Floridians who have been through a few hurricanes so they have some idea, but obviously no one knows exactly what to expect when this is literally the biggest, baddest storm ever

Having lived in a hurricane town hundreds of miles up the coast from Florida my entire life, cat 1 - 3 are pretty much routine. We do know pretty much what to expect. Sometimes the power goes out, or a tree is downed in the worst possible spot, but they just seem like windy storms. Many don't even drop as much rain as a bad thunderstorm - they're just windy.

It's cat 4 and 5 that are completely up in the air. Sometimes they blow through, we pick up all of the branches, sweep the leaves, figure out where our trashcans blew off to, and call it day. Sometimes they knock down so many trees you can't drive out of your neighborhood, and the power is out for 3+ days. That was Isabel. I didn't even live near water (I was a good two miles from the Bay, no creeks or lakes or rivers nearby) and it was up to my porch. Almost every large tree in my neighborhood was either uprooted or had to be cut down because it was nearly uprooted.

But that's where I am on the middle of the East coast. The storms get a lot stronger in the Gulf and down in Florida. Why people are trivializing it when it looks to be just as mean as Hugo is beyond me. Young? Don't remember the big ones? Think Katrina was just a freak? I just hope everyone who can evacuate has, and those who couldn't get the help they need to.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Even in this thread, Floridians are acting like a slight few mile shift for the eye of the storm makes the difference between them being in the clear or screwed. This storm is massive and the entire state is more or less screwed. Heaving sighs of relief because the eye now moved a few miles to the west of you is silly and lacks basic understanding of this storm. Sure it makes the difference of getting the absolute worst of it but it is still terrible either way. There were certain armchair meteorologists in here a few days ago shutting down any talk of Irma reaching category 5 saying that it was impossible and just fear mongering.

The far reach of Irma doesn't seem to be comprehended. My mom recently talked to my Grandmother in Melbourne and she's seemingly waiting for the hurricane to turn, pretty much. I'm here fearing for her and the state now, if that's the prevailing sentiment.

Fucking terrified for my parent's place. They live in a mobile home, and the further West this storm tracks, the more concerned I get that they will not have a home to return to when this is over. I stopped by today to grab some things that I had still hadn't taken with me when I moved out a few months ago, and my mom was visibly distraught. Luckily they'll be staying with me in my apartment, which is much sturdier than their house, but hopefully it is only for the weekend, and not the next few months.
Yeah I live in a single wide and I'm not too sold on the safety of this place so I'm booking it.

Number_6

Okay, finally made it to Tennessee. Traffic was freaking brutal, what should have been a one-day drive became a two-day nightmare.

We had all these plans that changed because of my in-laws being bossy yet indecisive, and then we changed back to our own plan and parted ways with them this morning, but we finally made it. Now we wonder if Irma weakens, did we go too far? Georgia was in the path, Alabama was booked solid (then so was Georgia). Either way, if a huge hurricane is gonna tear our roof off, or our house is gonna flood, we don't exactly want to be inside, so I still think leaving is the right choice, regardless of outcome.

But, we live on the Treasure Coast and we're now in Tennessee. We're already trying to plan our return trip and we want it to be a one-day thing, not the traffic-infused nightmare we had on the way up.

So we're gonna wait and see if we can drive over Monday night/Tuesday morning. Only problem, is that there will still be an ongoing storm. What winds are driveable in a small hatchback? Can we slip around this (much weaker by that time) thing and also avoid that oppressive traffic?

Am I crazy?

Redmoon

Did anyone in Miami Dade lose power for like a minute just now? Did they announce that they were cutting the power or something? It was odd.

Maybe your feeding off the nuclear power plant and they are starting the shutdown? I know they shutdown those things 24 hours before the hurricane winds are to arrive.

I was about ten when Hugo came. I lived in Savannah and we thought the world was going to end. It ended for a lot of people in Charleston.

Don't fuck around with big storms like this. Don't think you're safe because of projections.

Top Bottom