• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

The shift in track is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in that the storm may weaken over Cuba. It's a blessing in that it appears it may not absolute devastate Miami with the worst track ever. It's a curse because there are still so many unknowns, and it just appears to be getting more and more complicated to provide answers.

Usually, when it comes to mother nature people will make exactly the error they shouldn't in response to complexity, at exactly the wrong time, and that will lead to disaster. We will know soon enough if Cuba / the track is going to make a huge difference though.

III-V

Even in this thread, Floridians are acting like a slight few mile shift for the eye of the storm makes the difference between them being in the clear or screwed.

I would argue that a few miles can mean a big difference for us west coasters who are very vulnerable to storm surge. I assure you if it landfalls in Tampa, downtown, Palma Ciea and other regions will be decimated. A direct hit in Miami and then passing through the state means we get a 2. A further west track means we get a 4. Its a big difference every time they adjust it for us on the gulf coast.

Just started the turn

receipts

Lkr

Holy shit a tear jerker publix commercial while watching the news for storm updates. There is no difference between this thread and real life now

Link

The Autumn Wind
Holy shit a tear jerker publix commercial while watching the news for storm updates. There is no difference between this thread and real life now
The one with the guitar solo version of the safety dance? I was watching it and I'm like, "I know this song..." When it hit me, I couldn't believe it. It somehow works.

Number_6

Is the traffic bad? Any issues getting gas? Trying to convince my parents to get out.

I can say Georgia traffic was horrible. Get near any major city, like within 100 miles, and expect to crawl. We had a 120 mile stretch of I-75 that was slow as a school zone. No explanation, people just...forget how to drive during heavy traffic, then seemingly arbitrarily decide to go fast again at certain spots. Good luck!

I can say Georgia traffic was horrible. Get near any major city, like within 100 miles, and expect to crawl. We had a 120 mile stretch of I-75 that was slow as a school zone. No explanation, people just...forget how to drive during heavy traffic, then seemingly arbitrarily decide to go fast again at certain spots. Good luck!

Damn :( I'm in Houston but my parents are determined to stay in Largo/Clearwater...their house never floods, but I'm still worried about wind damage if it makes landfall near there...

Edit: Thanks for the traffic news guys...hope you make it safe and sound to your destinations.

mo60

It's not going to weaken much in cuba unless it moves closer to the parts of cuba with high elevation mountains.

It's probably too early to think about this now, but if the entirety of Key West is washed away into the ocean, will they rebuild the whole city?

For that matter, how likely is it that the over 100 miles long highway bridge that connects mainland Florida to the Florida Keys and Key West will not also be completely washed away?

So we're gonna wait and see if we can drive over Monday night/Tuesday morning. Only problem, is that there will still be an ongoing storm. What winds are driveable in a small hatchback? Can we slip around this (much weaker by that time) thing and also avoid that oppressive traffic?

Am I crazy?

I wouldn't attempt that drive in your car.

sflufan

Banned
It's probably too early to think about this now, but if the entirety of Key West is washed away into the ocean, will they rebuild the whole city?

For that matter, how likely is it that the over 100 miles long highway bridge that connects mainland Florida to the Florida Keys and Key West will not also be completely washed away?

If any of those events occur, I do not want to see either the city or the bridge rebuilt. Compensate property owners and turn the Keys into national park with no permanent residents and visitors only allowed outside of hurricane season. It's time to recognize that the Keys are not tenable for human habitation.

Sunster

If any of those events occur, I do not want to see either the city or the bridge rebuilt. Compensate property owners and turn the Keys into national park with no permanent residents and visitors only allowed outside of hurricane season. It's time to recognize that the Keys are not tenable for human habitation.

all the millionaires there won't stand for that.

Neece

So we were going to ride it out but my girlfriend is freaking out now and is thinking we should leave. Which means if we do we are going to have to do it tonight.

We're in Land O Lakes, just outside of Tampa. Where should we go if we do decide to leave? Georgia? Alabama?

Sucks because we're both dirt tired.

I've always wanted to go to the Florida Keys though :(

Just talked to my dad in Tampa, zone b. He's scared out of his mind, and didn't prepare. No boards, no generator, no battery powered lanterns. He said he's about a mile and a half from the beach and they're expecting 5 ft storm surges

Velcro Fly

My dad has friends that live just outside of Naples. He hasn't been able to get ahold of them the past couple days. He isn't sure if they left.

So we were going to ride it out but my girlfriend is freaking out now and is thinking we should leave. Which means if we do we are going to have to do it tonight.

We're in Land O Lakes, just outside of Tampa. Where should we go if we do decide to leave? Georgia? Alabama?

I'd go as far west as you can

yuraya

I can't believe there are actual human beings in Key West right now that are not evacuating. Like what in the actual fuck?

Pensacola?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just talked to my dad in Tampa, zone b. He's scared out of his mind, and didn't prepare. No boards, no generator, no battery powered lanterns. He said he's about a mile and a half from the beach and they're expecting 5 ft storm surges
Your dad needs to get out. Now.

Get some sleep before you get on the road. It's going to be rough enough on a solid 8.

Only you can make that call on where to go.

That sucks man, hope he finds something. I know zona a is super bad on rainy days, but a hurricane like this is scary for all of Tampa.

Trace

Banned
Anyone that isn't leaving that lives anywhere near the coast is suicidal at this point. Your life is worth more than your shit.

If there is a mandatory evac I would leave. Atleast go to a shelter more inland.

MrNelson

Banned
214634_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

WHY DO YOU KEEP FUCKING MOVING WEST

If the hurricane keeps moving west and hits the pan handle, he'll be worst off than if he just stayed in Land O Lakes. Isn't it right on the coast?

I am close to Lol. If his house is sturdy and he has some supplies I would ride it out. Should be a cat3 by the time it hits us. I will be down in Tampa but my family will be over in Moon lake area with some family.

If you can find a place to stay, sure. I live in Pensacola, and from what I've heard, nearly every hotel room is booked up. I'd recommend getting off I-10 before hitting Pensacola and going up into southern Alabama; somewhere like Dothan or Enterprise.

Yea that sounds about right.

If the hurricane keeps moving west and hits the pan handle, he'll be worst off than if he just stayed in Land O Lakes. Isn't it right on the coast?

Yea it is on the coast but it's more towards New Orleans given how big Florida is.

If there is a mandatory evac I would leave. Atleast go to a shelter more inland.

He said only zone a is mandatory evac. He said everyone in his neighborhood is his staying, idk I haven't seen his house so hard for me to know how bad it is. He's more worried about losing the house than himself

Top Bottom