• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Sami+

Anyone else in Tallahassee choosing to stay put? Just read on the Democrat that we should most likely be fine but there is a very slight chance it'll swerve our way. A little anxious but I hate worrying about shit I can't control. :/

Family is open to the idea of bailing but none of us really know where tf we'd go and if it's even worth leaving Tally. My girlfriend's folks already picked her up and they're going to Georgia I think.

He said only zone a is mandatory evac. He said everyone in his neighborhood is his staying, idk I haven't seen his house so hard for me to know how bad it is. He's more worried about losing the house than himself
Last I checked it was zone a as well. Twitter is a great resource for news if you guys aren't using it btw.

Keeps going west, it will be worse for places like PCB and even up here in Atlanta. Im worried about these trees we have. Kids will probably be sleeping in the hallway.

If the hurricane keeps moving west and hits the pan handle, he'll be worst off than if he just stayed in Land O Lakes. Isn't it right on the coast?
Yeah. Pensacola is on the ass end of Florida outside of the current cone, but it's right on the coast and you'd be fucked if the storm drifted westward enough. If I was evacuating now I'd pick anywhere far inland where I could get a room, so it wouldn't matter too much if the path shifted east or west since the storm would've weakened substantially at that point regardless. Some wind and rain is NBD if the alternative is a major hurricane.

My mom and brother are staying in Tallahassee, as is everyone else I know there (and I grew up there, so that's a lot).

That being said I expect it's going to be quite a bit nastier than hermine.

Anyone else in Tallahassee choosing to stay put? Just read on the Democrat that we should most likely be fine but there is a very slight chance it'll swerve our way. A little anxious but I hate worrying about shit I can't control. :/

Family is open to the idea of bailing but none of us really know where tf we'd go and if it's even worth leaving Tally. My girlfriend's folks already picked her up and they're going to Georgia I think.
I'm still here. I'm definitely a lot more anxious now that it keeps moving west. Was hoping it would stay out east

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm watching this on MSNBC. With Irma slowly moving west, is there a possibility that this will miss Florida?

One of the models has been showing that for a while now (although by quite a stretch). So yes, there's a possibility. It has shifted about 50 miles west just today alone. If this sort of change maintains, it may be 20 miles or so off the coast - but I wouldn't bet on it.

Additionally, the massive power of the storm is wide (60-70 miles I've heard?) so it's impacts will be far reaching, no matter where it is on the western side it is.

Miss Florida? Highly unlikely. Like...99.98% unlikely.

GYODX

I wonder if anyone in an evacuation zone thinking they can "ride it out" has actually lived through a powerful hurricane before.

The sustained winds are terrifying, panic-inducing and overwhelming. You will find yourself begging for it to stop. Sometimes, the wind is the least of your worries.

Even when you know you're in a safe place, you don't really stop worrying until after it's gone away completely. And it takes hours for that to happen.

He said only zone a is mandatory evac. He said everyone in his neighborhood is his staying, idk I haven't seen his house so hard for me to know how bad it is. He's more worried about losing the house than himself

Frankly, if he is freaking out, he needs to leave. Maybe if he is friends with neighbors atleast get together and try to come up with something to help each other.

Jacksonville is going to get hammered with rain and surge from what I am seeing. I don't think it will be too bad where your at.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching this on MSNBC. With Irma slowly moving west, is there a possibility that this will miss Florida?

No way all of it will miss Florida unfortunately. But if we're lucky we'll only get the bands and not the eye or eye wall. But I fear for whoever gets the full force of the eye wall.

People still in keywest tho why (from reddit irma thread) duval st live cam....

DSmI9of.jpg

No way all of it will miss Florida unfortunately. But if we're lucky we'll only get the bands and not the eye or eye wall. But I fear for whoever gets the full force of the eye wall.

Same. I'm terrified for everyone and the state, and I don't even live in Florida, but to hear what this storm is going to bring is horrible. I'm sending my thoughts and prayers to you all that's going to be affected by this.

Wensih

I think I'll be staying put. I'm going to bring my car over to the Spirit Garage Monday so that I don't risk a tree/large branches from falling on it.

Still nervous as heck but Im hoping were alright in Seminole County. We have plenty of water and baby formula so the important stuff is there.

Friend is staying with us which makes me feel great. Any extra set of hands for the newborn is greatly appreciated.

He brought his PC over and were playing some games right now. Trying to keep the mood as light as possible

Blizzard

Banned
Here's a page about hurricane history in the Keys: http://www.keyshistory.org/hurricanelist.html

As a side note to show some things never change, with people talking about the government creating hurricanes now, that page also says people accused the government of "seeding" hurricane Betsy about the same time frame, since there was a project "stormfury" that involved silver iodine crystals distributed in clouds.

Maybe they have no idea how serious it is? they could also be tourists ?

Nah. Locals. I lived there for a few years and some of the locals were telling me about the last big one that had hit and how the how island was underwater. Talking about how they had to steal people's (small) boats for their families due to the flooding, etc... but they were talking about it like a badge of honor. Some of the locals are just like that. They'll ride out anything that comes that way. But I don't know if it's just not caring or if they don't have the means to really evacuate. Not many, if any at all, of the islands are safe from flooding.

Just talked to my dad in Tampa, zone b. He's scared out of his mind, and didn't prepare. No boards, no generator, no battery powered lanterns. He said he's about a mile and a half from the beach and they're expecting 5 ft storm surges

Tell him to get out of there right now. Right. Now.

There is still time.

There's a north component back in the motion. The GFS actually nailed this little drift and pause in the last run, which is bad because it's sending this to Naples as a category 5. Only a bit farther west would be the worst for Tampa.

So, I convinced that Irma is trying to checklist as many countries hit as possible with landfalls. I see no other reason why it would wander over to the Cuban coast, barely lean its center over land, and now start to pull back away from it. So that's... Antigua, France, the Netherlands, the UK, the US, the Bahamas and Cuba. I'll have to check but I don't think it actually made landfall over any territory of the Turks and Caicos.
Holy shit a tear jerker publix commercial while watching the news for storm updates. There is no difference between this thread and real life now
Anderson Cooper was shilling for Publix earlier tonight live on air, actually!
Are there even any shelters in Key West?
I don't have an answer to that, but the first responders are evacuating tomorrow morning. So I'm thinking a "no."
that is the single dumbest thing I've ever heard.
See above.

Tonky

A bit off topic but what governing equations do the models use to simulate the path of the hurricane? Is it Navier-Stokes?

Ow, just got a hurricane warning emergency message while wearing earphones. Thanks for deafening tone NWS.
So yeah, brace yourselves Tampa Bay.

Earendil

The latest models show this going right over my house in Cape Coral. We're in Panama City now, but I'm afraid of what my house will look like when we get back.

MartyStu

I'm still here. I'm definitely a lot more anxious now that it keeps moving west. Was hoping it would stay out east

I too am staying put. I have enough food and water to ride it out for several weeks.

Even got my sister to come up from Orlando.

I pray to god it does not decide to juke west. I have no plans for that.

Tell him to get out of there right now. Right. Now.

There is still time.

I tried :-/. He said he's more worried about his house than himself, and he doesn't know how long he's going to be out of power. I don't know if he's in denial or just feels helpless. He also has a wife (not my mom, although incidentally she lives in Houston and just went through Harvey :-/) and three kids.

trickblu

Neo Member
Just saw a Monroe County administrator on CNN say "There are no shelters in the keys".

Monroe County has actually decided to open up several schools throughout the Keys as refuges of last resort starting at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday. But yes, the standard policy is that no shelters are supposed to be open if the hurricane is category 3 or greater. Hospitals close down. Emergency services also shut down once the winds reach tropical storm force.

Monroe County is opening four refuges of last resort: https://www.facebook.com/MonroeCountyFLBOCC/posts/1597048053673031

Top Bottom