• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

He's in the one and only category 5 rated building in the entirety of the Keys: the National Weather Service office in Key West.

He'll get a nice view of the rest of Key West washing away into the ocean I guess. I'd be scared as fuck but it's going to be one hell of a ride.

This building is not open as a public shelter.

Dang. The one building there that could give people a fighting chance isn't open to the public. I guess, though, the people that live in the Keys have enough money to find a way to get out (or is that a misconception?).

I'm watching a hurricane Katrina documentary now, god damn I didn't realize how bad it was, Irma is going to do that to Florida?!?

Katrina didn't do much damage to New Orleans until the levees broke. The storm itself wasn't the problem. The day after Katrina hit, New Orleans thought they dodged a major bullet.....then the levees broke

I wish people wouldn't post stuff as fact without trying to verify it first, especially in a potentially life or death situation like this.
Please scream at me if I seem to make any odd claims going ahead, btw. I'll gladly apologize for anything stupid that comes out of my mouth. Trying to stay as objective as possible.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm currently watching the weather channel and they just showed the updated 2am track.
Thanks. I'm looking at the NOAA website and don't see the category 4 thing called out specifically, but I assume the weather channel forecaster knows what they're talking about.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/090549.shtml

"Reports from the Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that maximum
sustained winds are near 160 mph (260 km/h) with higher gusts. Irma
is a category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind
Scale. Some fluctuations in intensity are likely during the next
day or two, but Irma is expected to remain a powerful hurricane as
it approaches Florida."

They also say the hurricane hunter just reported 930 mb central pressure, unless that part of the report is out of date with the 2 a.m. update.

Please scream at me if I seem to make any odd claims going ahead, btw. I'll gladly apologize for anything stupid that comes out of my mouth. Trying to stay as objective as possible.

I know I quoted your post, but it wasn't aimed directly at you. We've had some really incorrect claims throughout the thread and it ends up confusing people. I certainly hope it's getting weaker, but I've seen no one reporting that it has happened yet.

on CNN they just showed the updated thing, said it hadn't changed at all and was still a Cat5
...ima stop watching CNN.

I took a picture just now of the track via weather channel. Cat. 4 US landfall.

36974531121_d3740003e5_z.jpg

on CNN they just showed the updated thing, said it hadn't changed at all and was still a Cat5

It is still a cat5 and as of right now nothing has changed. Obviously that can change rather quickly. CNN doesn't predict the upcoming weather like the weather channel would, which would explain the different info.

I took a picture just now of the track via weather channel. Cat. 4 US landfall.

Keep in mind they're assuming being over Cuba will weaken it, and that it will not re-strengthen above the warm Gulf waters. The NHC has thus far been too low on their predictions of intensity, so we'll see.

It technically is! The NHC dislikes changing intensities between the regular 6-hour advisories outside of a dramatic and unexpected intensification. Also, they don't really adjust the tracks beyond the 6-hour advisories and just nudge up the starting position. This is largely for bookkeeping, bureaucratic purposes and long-standing habits. The faster computer models run every 6 hours, too, so it allows a chance to refresh everything and look it over from scratch if needed. I honestly have no idea which form of timing came first, but it works so they stick with it.
Did it move west again?
It's doing more or less what was expected, just that it turned west a little earlier and farther than some models thought but it's continued the old motion WNW now.

[/b]

Dang. The one building there that could give people a fighting chance isn't open to the public. I guess, though, the people that live in the Keys have enough money to find a way to get out (or is that a misconception?).

Google the building. That fourth floor looks like it barely has enough room for him, let alone anyone else.

You can't really see it in the pic, but there is a huge concrete section in the back. You can see it on google maps.
This building would have been built with an cat5 hurricane and storm surge in mind, specifically so they could continue to provide public information and emergency communications in situations just like this one. No NWS station ever wants to actually have to test out its extreme tolerances! The NHC building proper survived the worst of Andrew and their equipment failed as conditions were reaching category 5. Everyone survived unharmed inside.

This is not an exaggeration-- Anything under 20 feet above sea level in the Keys risks being completely destroyed and swept out to sea if not made of reinforced concrete, and anything below 50ft could face waves on top. Those numbers are the upper end of what's possible but it's not impossible. Even half that would be devastating and swamp the majority of structures. Anyone remaining in the Keys is essentially writing off their own existences at their own peril. You know it's not a situation you can survive when even the first responders are evacuating. There is absolutely nowhere safe along the entire chain they can stay during the storm.

EBreda

Looks like is literally bouncing off the cost of Cuba. Too bad it's such a destructive force, it's absurdly interesting and I'd love to fly up close to a hurricane of this size and force.

Davilmar

I was afraid that the hurricane was going to move directly west, since Tampa will be directly in the line of fire. My family will be staying, but I have relatives in Haiti and Mexico who are dealing with their own issues. My best friend's entire family is either in Cuba or Miami, and I am praying and hoping the best for them. The same wishes and prayers extended to all of us still in Florida.

geomon

Looks like my area is probably only going to get category 1 conditions. I'm not in a flood zone, so we should be fine. We got the house ready just in case of anything, though, and bought a lot of supplies. Do you think we have enough water?
If you don't need all of that after the storm passes, please consider donating it to those who will desperately need those supplies.

Zyae

remember reading this a few months ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...ifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.dd0011d3b334

By a stroke of gambler's luck, Tampa Bay hasn't suffered a direct hit from a hurricane as powerful as a category 3 or higher in nearly a century. Tampa has doubled down on a bet that another won't strike anytime soon, investing billions of dollars in high-rise condominiums along the waterfront and shipping port upgrades and expanding a hospital on an island in the middle of the bay to make it one of the largest in the state.

Once-sleepy St. Petersburg has gradually followed suit, adorning its downtown coast with high-rise condominiums, new shops and hotels. The city is in the final stages of a plan to build a $45 million pier as a major attraction that would extend out into the bay.

Worried that area leaders weren't adequately focused on the downside of living in a tropic, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council reminded them of the risks by simulating a worst-case scenario hurricane, a category 5 with winds exceeding 156 mph, to demonstrate what would happen if it entered the Gulf of Mexico and turned their way.

The fictitious Phoenix hurricane scenario projects that wind damage would destroy nearly half a million homes and businesses. About 2 million residents would require medical treatment, and the estimated death toll, more than 2,000, would top the number of people who perished from Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi.]

[/b]

Misconception. Most of the people with money who own property in the Keys are Snow Birds, I.E. they use it as Winter Vacation spots or they're folks that rent out the properties.

Everyone else is either service workers (Waiters/Waitresses, Bartenders, Musicians, Store Clerks, etc) or folks that spent a god chunk of their savings/retirement to live there. Outside of that, Key West/Storck Island has a lot of Military/DoD and their families.

the-national-weather-forecast-service-office-in-key-west-with-hurricane-eatth8.jpg

THAT is the building the man is in??? Yeah...uhhh

That whole thing is cement built, which is sturdier than most of the buildings in Key West (like half the island is Historic Monuments that can't be improved upon out of historic materials/styles... including residences). There's a larger tower part too. It's right across the street from a beat up old elementary school that was closed down when I was there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Official emergency bulletins taking this sort of colloquial tone is a really recent thing isn't it? Hope it gets the job done; it definitely is chilling.

***THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS***
***NOWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS WILL BE SAFE***
***TIME IS RUNNING OUT BUT YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO EVACUATE THIS MORNING***
http://www.weather.gov/key/

Sigh. I shouldn't have read that.
If it makes you feel any better, there are a ton of other major cities entirely unprepared for any sort of large storm surge from something or a tsunami and/or a combined flash flooding situation. Sandy massively exposed NYC's weaknesses. Boston escaped effects from Sandy due to a lucky low tide timing. The waters of the Potomac in DC are about 2 feet above sea level with no protection. Anything from Daytona Beach south would not be able to handle a category 5 surge. Problems in NOLA are obvious, and all the land south of the city is slowly being eaten away. In 100 years there's be the levees of the city surrounded by water. We saw Houston be a catastrophe. And this is just the Atlantic coast stuff! Seattle has vulnerabilities, as does San Francisco Bay.

The disaster mitigation system in the US is pretty good inland for larger rivers and lakes but it's lacking in many coastal areas. That's true of the current situation, before any more sea level rise! Miami Beach floods then the wind sneezes inland as an example of a place with essentially zero protection that's been massive overdeveloped. The US needs to have a discussion about how we've overpopulated extremely vulnerable areas that are a matter of "when" and not "if" something will happen to them. Houston from Harvey should be a call to action, but we dare not discuss nature defeating the American spirit so we'll rebuild every 2 years until the end of time. Key West was completely wiped off the map in the past and rebuilt despite there being a 100% chance another hurricane would eventually come and do the exact same thing (as we're perhaps seeing now).
Official emergency bulletins taking this sort of colloquial tone is a really recent thing isn't it? Hope it gets the job done; it definitely is chilling.

***THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS***
***NOWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS WILL BE SAFE***
***TIME IS RUNNING OUT BUT YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO EVACUATE THIS MORNING***
http://www.weather.gov/key/
Yup. Zero places with a high enough elevation to assure safety and this is why first responders are evacuating.

Top Bottom