• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Official emergency bulletins taking this sort of colloquial tone is a really recent thing isn't it? Hope it gets the job done; it definitely is chilling.

***THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS***
***NOWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS WILL BE SAFE***
***TIME IS RUNNING OUT BUT YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO EVACUATE THIS MORNING***
http://www.weather.gov/key/

Go back and read the last warnings before Katrina. They were pretty dire.

It really does look like Irma is just riding the coast of Cuba without really going inland... It may have much of a drop in intensity...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It really does look like Irma is just riding the coast of Cuba without really going inland... It may have much of a drop in intensity...

I wonder if major storms like this have some type of propensity to do that if it's tracking parallel with a coast via prevailing factors?

weekev

Banned
Did you see the one from Harvey last week? It literally said "GET OUT OR DIE, Loss of life is certain"
I think it is good to be as clear and direct as that. People thinking they can ride this out in the Keys need to think again and get out. There is a chance it's already too late.

Anybody in Tampa Zone B?

My dad is there about 1-2 miles from the beach. What's the elevation like? He said they're expecting storm surge of 5 feet, anyone know how this might affect his area? If it helps, I think he said there's 2 sides, one with a seawall and one without, and he's on the side without? Does that ring a bell to anyone?

So this thing is basically hitting Tallahassee because at this point any further west has it in the ocean and hitting Tallahassee full force right?

I'm upset I'm still here because my girlfriends job won't let her leave until Sunday. We'll basically be hitting the road Sunday 1am for Alabama even though that's still getting hit but not as bad.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Did you see the one from Harvey last week? It literally said "GET OUT OR DIE, Loss of life is certain"

Go back and read the last warnings before Katrina. They were pretty dire.
I remember the "certain death" warning during Ike in 2008 here in Texas when it was too late to evacuate and we didn't evacuate, and I was in the direct hit zone on the coast.

That was not a fun night to ride out.

Goddamit I just looked up my dad's house on a map. South tampa, like 4 blocks from the eastern coast of than peninsula thing.

The fuck was he thinking staying there :-/

sfedai0

Banned
Goddamit I just looked up my dad's house on a map. South tampa, like 4 blocks from the eastern coast of than peninsula thing.

The fuck was he thinking staying there :-/

Theres still time but he needs to leave like immediately. Tampa is not looking very good at all right now.

Is there definitely no convincing him to at least move to his closest shelter?

He's sleeping right now so I can't even get in touch for another 3-4 hours until he wakes up. But I'm west coast, so I'll be sleeping. Guess I'll try to wake up at like 4am. Where are the shelters?

Edit: according to https://www.google.com/amp/wfla.com...s-tampa-bay-area-ahead-of-hurricane-irma/amp/, hillsborough county is opening these shelters to zone a, and he's in Zone B. I guess i can tell him to try anyway

I also think I remember one of the mandatory evac notices before they released a dam during Harvey telling people to make sure they wrote their SSN on their arms so their bodies could be identified.

weekev

Banned
He's sleeping right now so I can't even get in touch for another 3-4 hours until he wakes up. But I'm west coast, so I'll be sleeping. Guess I'll try to wake up at like 4am. Where are the shelters?

Edit: according to https://www.google.com/amp/wfla.com...s-tampa-bay-area-ahead-of-hurricane-irma/amp/, hillsborough county is opening these shelters to zone a, and he's in Zone B. I guess i can tell him to try anyway
There's a list of shelters in Tampa here. He could try the closest one, can't see anyone being turned away.

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...ns-and-shelters-across-tampa-bay/67-471931687

My uncle is crazy and holding out in his apartment. My cousin flew in to make sure he doesn't get killed. They liveblogged their grocery shopping earlier today. Supermarket was like a train hit it.

Just made it back home to Indiana. After over 24 hours on the road. Was in Orlando at Disney with my wife and kids. Cut our trip a day short.

We left Orlando at around 330am. Took us an hour to check out of our resort because of all the tree contractors checking in for the storm.

Honestly was smooth sailing out of Orlando and up until Ocala. Things got real dicey there and traffic was bumper to bumper all the way until Chattanooga. Took some off shoots in Georgia to try and avoid the gridlock but I don't think it made a difference.

The trip would have been a little shorter had we not had two kids under four with us. Had to stop for nursing and changing and potty a lot.

Had planned on getting a room along the way but everything up to Chattanooga was booked. So I slept an hour or so at a rest stop and by then the kids were conked out asleep so we just drove it straight through.

I just want to say best of luck to everyone in its path.

Talked to a woman at a gas station on the FL/GA border who was coming from Michigan to pick up her elderly father in Orlando. Stuff like that is just gut wrenching. Not to mention the folks who have no means of evacuating.

Sorry for rambling. On a caffeine high. Just glad to be home with my family.

Again, thinking of everyone here impacted.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Dunno. I saw FPL predicting that 90% of customers would lose power, OUC 80%, but those came out hours before the more westward shift. Who knows how it'll end up. Not all outages are created equal, either. There's a world of difference between going without for an hour, 6 hours, or 2+ weeks.

And after all that bragging over how they've made upgrades over the years for this kinda stuff. 90% without power?!

Irminsul

For those who like animations, here is what I posted in the other hurricane thread about Irma's projected part:

Euro run from 0000 UTC:

hurricane_irma_201709ccufu.gif

Note that, despite the landfall in Cuba, Irma restrengthenes again and shows no slower wind speeds than before when making landfall in Florida:

Bonus: Project rainfall until Monday 5 PM EDT in mm (100 mm are roughly 4 inches):

For those who like animations, here is what I posted in the other hurricane thread about Irma's projected part:

Euro run from 0000 UTC:

Note that, despite the landfall in Cuba, Irma restrengthenes again and shows no slower wind speeds than before when making landfall in Florida:

Bonus: Project rainfall until Monday 5 PM EDT in mm (100 mm are roughly 4 inches):

Jesus Christ. It's going to pretty much hit all of Florida isn't it.

Ferrio

Banned
Irma going for the crossup. Has a hurricane ever did a turn like that and landfall on west florida? Don't think I've ever seen that.

edit: Ah charley did.

5am update: Back down to 155, so "category 4.9" as someone coined yesterday. Almost the entire eye is back over water so the weakening trend of the pressure going up might level off. A plane was just going through the center and the update is being posted a few minutes late (which is quite unusual).

Mostly this is wait and see mode for the next 12 hours or so until it's in the Florida Straights and we see when a turn to the north starts. The satellite look is messier than it was all day yesterday so Cuba has had clear impacts on Irma.

Finally, some marginally good news on intensity:
There is an opportunity for Irma to re-intensity as it crosses the
warm waters of the Florida Straits. However, the large-scale
models forecast significant westerly shear developing at about
24 h, and it is unclear how much strengthening could occur before
then. [...] Irma is still expected to be a dangerous hurricane as it
approaches the Florida Keys and the west coast of Florida.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
New track puts going right up Charlotte Harbor, almost a repeat of Charley.

Not again... :(

Irminsul

With the land interaction on Cuba I don't see it strengthening back up to a cat. 5 before it hits the US and neither does the NHC
That's in line with the Euro run I posted above. It shows wind gusts around 260 km/h or 160 mph, which means sustained winds are below that.

Note, though, that you shouldn't think this strictly in categories. It's still on the high end of Cat 4.

On another note, the European model (until now) has fared better than any other model w.r.t. tracking track accuracy. Including the official, human-made NHC forecast: https://arstechnica.com/science/201...e-been-pretty-terrible-during-hurricane-irma/

Hesh

Hearing about people in the Keys trying to ride this out is disheartening. Isn't it likely that the entirety of the Keys will be submerged after Irma hits?

Nictel

CubaGAF is not really represented here, or? The focus is on Florida here (expectedly) but I can't imagine the situation in Cuba right now.

Following the hurricanes is a double feeling: it is fascinating but it feels bad to do so too much as it is costing peoples lives.

The models seem to be pushing it more and more west, what are the chances it goes all the way west?

CubaGAF is not really represented here, or? The focus is on Florida here (expectedly) but I can't imagine the situation in Cuba right now.

Following the hurricanes is a double feeling: it is fascinating but it feels bad to do so too much as it is costing peoples lives.

The models seem to be pushing it more and more west, what are the chances it goes all the way west?

Even without a killer storm heading their way Cuba has wonky power and spotty internet.
In my hometown the power would go out for almost an entire day just because, most are just now getting into using Facebook.

Dre3001

I am seriously rethinking staying in Tallahassee as this thing continues moving west. What is the projected strength by the time it hits Tallahassee?

I am seriously rethinking staying in Tallahassee as this thing continues moving west. What is the projected strength by the time it hits Tallahassee?

Supposed to be a 2 but that's with it passing over land. I'm in Tallahassee too and the trend is more and more west, I'm operating under the assumption it's gonna hit the water and hitting us at a 4 and evacuating Sunday morning.

No models have said this but you'll understand if I'm not waiting on models/implicitly trusting them on how bad we'll get hit.

Me and my girlfriend checked earlier today and you can get a hotel in Mississippi but the prices are high. Good luck fellow Tallahassian

SRV

As someone living in Europe, I can't imagine the shear destruction that comes with these. Watching the news and live streams and it is just crazy that some people want to ride it out, especially in some really questionable locations.

I hope to all of gaf affected by this, that you and yours are safe!

trickblu

Neo Member
He's in the one and only category 5 rated building in the entirety of the Keys: the National Weather Service office in Key West.

He'll get a nice view of the rest of Key West washing away into the ocean I guess. I'd be scared as fuck but it's going to be one hell of a ride.

This building is not open as a public shelter.

He could be at the La Concha hotel on Duval Street. They opened their doors to locals for the storm.

Ephemeris

Orlando here. Mostly ready (still peeved the apartment isn't boarding up the windows) and already [not] looking forward to the lack of power that's sure to affect me for a couple days.

Stay safe FL-GAF

Blizzard

Banned
That scary weather alert tone just before 6 in the morning with DANGER LEVEL: EXTREME and everything was great fun. And then I went and looked at the update, and it was practically identical to the hurricane warning from midnight which also had the scary tone.

Neither applies to me for another 12+ hours basically, so I have to think that's going to contribute to people not taking weather alerts seriously if a tornado actually pops up. :|

Top Bottom