• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Generate

Banned
I wonder if anyone in an evacuation zone thinking they can "ride it out" has actually lived through a powerful hurricane before.

The sustained winds are terrifying, panic-inducing and overwhelming. You will find yourself begging for it to stop. Sometimes, the wind is the least of your worries.

Even when you know you're in a safe place, you don't really stop worrying until after it's gone away completely. And it takes hours for that to happen.

Plus tornadoes coming in every few hours

This is a page which has a bunch of webcams. You can watch this hurricane beating on Florida in real time, or at least until the power or Internet goes out there.

http://basik.co/

Those Florida Keys webcams are going to be wild tomorrow night. It's uhm already kind of windy....

Mifune

Mehmber
Sounds like Naples is gonna get fucking hammered. I'm out of my mind with worry right now. My mom and stepdad were supposed to drive north on Wednesday but decided against because of traffic. And now they're stuck. At a shelter but I don't know if anything there is built to withstand a Cat 4.

In the Tampa area, zone B and feeling super anxious. Have a brick house but really unsure with this hurricane. Please everyone be safe.

TheXbox

Sounds like Naples is gonna get fucking hammered. I'm out of my mind with worry right now. My mom and stepdad were supposed to drive north on Wednesday but decided against because of traffic. And now they're stuck. At a shelter but I don't know if anything there is built to withstand a Cat 4.
My grandma's down there. Fuck, man. It gets worse and worse.

Namikaze

I am in Clearwater and now I'm reading the storm is category 5 and moving closer to where I'm at. Maybe I should just leave the state

My car is so dead otherwise

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I am in Clearwater and now I'm reading the storm is category 5 and moving closer to where I'm at. Maybe I should just leave the state

My car is so dead otherwise

Go east, man. Hit the I4 at night and just drive east.

Fuck, Im seeing reports saying they expect the whole peninsula to lose power. IDK if thats hype or not but I have my grandparents in Pt St Lucie trying to ride this out..

Idk if they can deal with no power...

GDGF

Soothsayer
If anybody is thinking about Alabama, Talladega Motor Speedway is opening up space for folks fleeing the storm. Free. It's where we're headed.

Blizzard

Banned
Fuck, Im seeing reports saying they expect the whole peninsula to lose power. IDK if thats hype or not but I have my grandparents in Pt St Lucie trying to ride this out..

The entire state of Florida? There was a big map a while back that suggests only parts of the state will be impacted, with some areas only having a 10% chance of power loss.

If you have a reputable source that's one thing, but I'd hesitate to trust vague reports.

Dunno. I saw FPL predicting that 90% of customers would lose power, OUC 80%, but those came out hours before the more westward shift. Who knows how it'll end up. Not all outages are created equal, either. There's a world of difference between going without for an hour, 6 hours, or 2+ weeks.

In Sarasota going to my parents concrete home that is more off the coast of Sarasota that is not in an evacuation zone. Extremely nervous though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Bingo.

The fact is, the Keys not only flood but the land itself isn't all that solid. Some build raised houses but in a Cat 5...
Raised houses don't matter when a storm is that strong and the surge is that high.

A good preview of what might happen is the Bolivar Peninsula in Texas after Ike. There's only so much hurricane resistant building you can do, but a direct hit from a strong hurricane and a big surge will just wash most of it away, literally.

dabig2

GOES 30-second imagery is saying no, it isn't making a direct landfall and weakening.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-96-1-100

It looks like it's made the WNW turn to follow the Cuban cays and northern coast. Eye appears to be near Cayo Romano, Cuba, right now.

Yep, posted this in the other thread, but I'll post a basic mapping of the Cuba here too:
montanas.jpg

For this storm to weaken in any significant way that counts, it needs to start heading south pretty much immediately. There's a minor mountain immediately to its south from where it is now, and then you have the Guamaya mountain range to its SW. If it's making that turn northwards now, I wouldn't expect Cuba to thrash it that much. Whatever energy it's losing from skirting the northern Cuba coast will probably just be regained as soon as it enters the Florida straits. Unless the wind shears it down a bit in the next day or some random eyewall replacement happens, expect a Category 5 to soon hit the Keys.

Some guy on CNN that is staying in Key West said he's on the 4th floor of a category 5 rated building and that he's not worried. He also said he'd rather be on his side of washed out bridges than on the other side with looters. Hmm. Kinda makes a *little* sense?

Ferrio

Banned
Some guy on CNN that is staying in Key West said he's on the 4th floor of a category 5 rated building and that he's not worried.

Time to put it to the test I guess. I don't understand the obsession with staying though. Even if you're perfectly safe, experiencing something like that is horrible. If you have the means leave, the stress that the storm will put you through is not worth it.

Time to put it to the test I guess. I don't understand the obsession with staying though. Even if you're perfectly safe, experiencing something like that is horrible. If you have the means leave, the stress that the storm will put you through is not worth it.

It's an adrenaline rush for some

Fine, I'll play along.

It won't be a well-tuned cat5 again for awhile, though that's hardly "significant" weakening. It did seem to use up a lot of effort to collect itself for a Cuban landfall and it's ingested a good deal of dryer air in the NW and it'll take 6-12 hours to completely sort that through, admittedly. That quadrant is sloppy but the inner core presentation is still closed and the wind field has been expanding over water. Hell, the plane just found a high cat4 surface wind. Unless the actual eyewall proper is opened up it's largely on autopilot.

But yeah the pressure did jump some after this landfall, so, hey, that's something. "Significant" is subjective I suppose, after all. Realistically? It would be surprising if this slips below category 4 at any point until a Florida peninsula landfall. Even that doesn't matter all that much! Hell, if could travel in a straight line from where it is, slowly weakening the whole way, and on momentum alone it'll put Key West completely under water in 24 hours and still put TS storm force winds across the entire state of Florida.

There is zero reason to think that the entire Florida peninsula won't still face hurricane conditions in the next 48 hours, with a larger storm surge risk on the west coast now because of the shallow waters.

dickroach

the people that are staying there are not stressed. they live in Key West.

Some guy on CNN that is staying in Key West said he's on the 4th floor of a category 5 rated building and that he's not worried. He also said he'd rather be on his side of washed out bridges than on the other side with looters. Hmm. Kinda makes a *little* sense?

He's in the one and only category 5 rated building in the entirety of the Keys: the National Weather Service office in Key West.

He'll get a nice view of the rest of Key West washing away into the ocean I guess. I'd be scared as fuck but it's going to be one hell of a ride.

This building is not open as a public shelter.

That's sort of the premise for Escape from LA Movie.

The 2am mid-update holds the category 5 of 160 but that's probably generous after the last hour of satellite imagery. Any category 4-5 landfall impacts were in an almost completely uninhabited area of Cuba and the strongest now is staying offshore. Still going to be messy for cities farther up the coast yet, of course.

Top Bottom