• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Carcetti

My hopes go out to everyone affected. It's scary watching this even from the other side of the world :(

How many hours in is the eye supposed to hit the Keys?

sflufan

Banned
Miami radar indicating decent rain bands over South Florida, but moving pretty rapidly through.

Marathon Key experienced the highest wind gusts so far (57 mph).

Rixxan

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.

You sound utterly entitled

If this happens to miss you you should feel thankful and nothing else

Well I just met the messenger of death in my neighborhood. This is on the boarder of Orange and Seminole where Altamonte, Maitland, and Orlando all meet. I was in my garage when this older guy who was walking his dogs stopped to talk to me. He said he expects 120mph winds in the neighborhood and that all the houses are flattened with just a couple of walls left standing. I said that doesn't sound right and that my house, and practically every house on the street, was all brick and cinder block with a newer roofs. That also made me question why the fuck hasn't he left. He said he has somewhere to go if he needs to....uhuh. Also lovingly added that we won't have power for two weeks. Think I need to wash down that experience with a buffalo chicken tender sub from Publix.

Should have looked him square in the eye, patted him on the shoulder and replied, "I'll see ya in anotha' life, brotha'."

Grym

Having gone to Key West two years ago, I'm thinking about all the historic stuff at risk. Southern White House and Hemingway House don't seem like they'd be very well hardened against a storm this strong. The old Fort ruins (like the ones with the garden inside, forget the name) seem like they'd do okay, though the gardens themselves might not be.

Marcello Tower. Yeah I would think the ruins would be okay too (dunno though?). Gardens grow back. Aren't there historic gravesites near that beach there too?

(Edit...yeah this place: https://www.africanburialgroundathiggsbeach.org/ )

I would think Hemingway house would be in trouble too.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
154304_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

2pm update track puts the eye right over my house at about 6am Monday. Yikes.

Steejee

Watching these people at the southernmost point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ld45pUueQ&ab_channel=KevinNovobilsky

not sure if to laugh or cry. I'm more pissed people bringing their pets out in this.

Guy trying to take a selfie with a crashing wave and I'm sitting here hoping he gets taken down in the process.

... and as I type that he almost does and decides he's had enough.

Wonder who these people are - Key West should be empty at this point, who the hell is hanging out there still? Are they planning to drive the entire road out tonight?

sflufan

Banned
As I said yesterday, if the Keys are devastated, I really do believe the time has come to abandon the Keys as a place of permanent human habitation. I simply don't believe that they are tenable for human settlement at this point.

Buy out property owners and turn it into a national park that will be visitable from December to May and closed during hurricane season.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I hope those people can take care of themselves and won't ask others to risk their lives to rescue them.

yeah i try to pop on once in a while to see the weather conditions and it rarely takes more than a minute for people to be on the screen chasing dogs or taking selfies at any of these keys cams. i don't even think they're aware of the camera most of the time just really that ignorant i suppose and it becomes this incredibly morbid thing so i can't watch anymore.

is there no way to get out of the keys at this point? google maps estimates to get west of miami are ~3 hours

Steejee

As I said yesterday, if the Keys are devastated, I really do believe the time has come to abandon the Keys as a place of permanent human habitation. I simply don't believe that they are tenable for human settlement at this point.

Buy out property owners and turn it into a national park that will be visitable from December to May and closed during hurricane season.

I think I'd be game for that. Could be the 'modern' version of Dry Tortugas.

Even when i visited during some lovely weather it was crazy to see how built up it was. Part of it is that I live in Boston, and up here in New England the difference between low and high tide is pretty large, so seeing everything so low to the water at all times was weird to me. Beyond that though, there's just nothing protecting the island. I wonder how anyone there can get any sort of home insurance.

Watching the live cams, looks like the waves are coming in harder now at southernmost point(s).

You have a point, but there is a Naval Air Station and military airport in Key West, I doubt that would be abandoned.

Briarios

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.

"it's such a disappointment that bullet didn't hit me; I mean, I got scared for nothing that he pulled that gun. Now he's gone and I'm not dead, and that fear was for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest."

Fuck off, people are going to die from this or actually have their lives ruined, and I don't give a flip that your life was disrupted. While you're sitting there whining like an entitled brat, I'm figuring out the logistics for my elderly parents and my wife's mom who is in an evacuation zone.

If all our homes are still standing on Monday, and the storm fizzled out ... I'll be dancing for joy, not crying that I had to miss some work or had to do an insane amount of preparations.

On another note, Be Safe Tampa Bay is trending on Twitter ... that's kind of surreal.

sflufan

Banned
You have a point, but there is a Naval Air Station and military airport in Key West, I doubt that would be abandoned.

Oh no - those will stay of course.

I essentially mean that the Keys would be "nationalized" into a national park, military facilities, or scientific research facilities.

Just not any permanent private residential or commercial settlement.

III-V

Its surreal, but Tampa is past due for a major storm, and this entire area would be devastated as we have so much property near the water.

Irminsul

Copy of my post from the other thread:

Euro 12z run in three-hour steps (as usual, time on the bottom right is in UTC+2 or EDT+6):

Maybe a nudge further west than 00z, but not really much.

Wind gusts in km/h (mph * 1.6):

A few notes on that: The earliest estimates for wind gusts (i.e., at the beginning of the animation) are around 200 km/h or 120 mph. That means, gusts are estimated around what Irma currently has as sustained wind speeds.

That doesn't mean this follows strictly when it hits land in Florida, of course. But it does show the wind model of the ECMWF currently underestimates Irma.

Landfall wind gusts are again around 160 mph, so for those who were disappointed at Irma weakening to a measly category 3 hurricane, don't be. Those winds should put Irma well into category 4. Yes, that paragraph was slightly sarcastic.

Also, do note the strong winds on the panhandle. That wasn't modelled like this before.

Snaku

Banned

You make it sound like only a couple hundred people live there. You'd be displacing tens of thousands of people, many of whom depend on commercial fishing for their livelihood and that's all they know. Then there's the tourism industry that could never survive only being able to operate a few months out of the year.

sinkfla87

Its surreal, but Tampa is past due for a major storm, and this entire area would be devastated as we have so much property near the water.

I can't help but always feel the same way about here lol. I mean we had freak weather for the past 3 years (flooding, iced roads, and an isolated tornado) but when you go a long time without a hurricane (especially in Florida) it always feels like you're just waiting for a bad one the longer you go without. Be safe man.

bf33c96b684ae43996093b08e2c3b1f9.png

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!?

"Man I'm going to make this my Facebook profile picture so everyone knows how tough I am. I was born to die, motherfuckers."

sflufan

Banned
You make it sound like only a couple hundred people live there. You'd be displacing tens of thousands of people, many of whom depend on commercial fishing for their livelihood and that's all they know. Then there's the tourism industry that could never survive only being able to operate a few months out of the year.

I am absolutely aware of the significant challenges involved with plan, but we have come to the point where such unthinkably drastic actions need to be considered.

Syder

It could still be a Cat 4 when it makes landfall in Florida...

III-V

I can't help but always feel the same way about here lol. I mean we had freak weather for the past 3 years (flooding, iced roads, and an isolated tornado) but when you go a long time without a hurricane (especially in Florida) it always feels like you're just waiting for a bad one the longer you go without. Be safe man.

"Man I'm going to make this my Facebook profile picture so everyone knows how tough I am. I was born to die, motherfuckers."

Our last major hurricane was in 1921, almost 100 years ago.

siganddaxter

Neo Member
I'm in a hospital in fort Myers, playing Mario rabbids and charging all my devices. Ugh I just hope my house and GFs family are okay after all this. Fuck fuck fuck

manfestival

the eye is going right through my home too. oh this gives me an uneasy feeling. even more that I wont be home for who knows how long.

The keys most likely won't be habitable within the next 30-40 years, if not sooner. It's only realistic, as unfortunate as it is.

Snaku

Banned
The keys most likely won't be habitable within the next 30-40 years, if not sooner. It's only realistic, as unfortunate as it is.

I'm aware, climate change will take care of that eventually. But I don't think the answer is to tell people who are probably gonna lose their homes due to this storm that they're also gonna lose their livelihood as well.

Wow

MechDX

How certain is it that the storm will go north and not continue west out into the gulf?
Cold front just came through Houston this week and it will prevent it from going further west.

Also learned this week all the flood run off from SE Texas has cooled the gulf near Galveston off so much it wont strengthen a storm

I'm aware, climate change will take care of that eventually. But I don't think the answer is to tell people who are probably gonna lose their homes due to this storm that they're also gonna lose their livelihood as well.

In the same scenario all their businesses and boats are wrecked too, no? Really would make sense to take whatever insurance money they get and start anew.

Top Bottom