• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Via most recent recon
937.1 *extrapolated* pressure
recon_NOAA2-2711A-IRMA_zoom.png.63e5f5f6a4e237348ac0effc80be2ee8.png

sflufan

Banned
I'm aware, climate change will take care of that eventually. But I don't think the answer is to tell people who are probably gonna lose their homes due to this storm that they're also gonna lose their livelihood as well.

I'm not suggesting that this even begin in the immediate aftermath of this story, but MUST be something that requires the political and economic leadership at both the Federal and State levels to recognize as a real possibility and start to develop plans accordingly.

III-V

The guy on the weather channel literally just repeated my last two points nearly verbatum. Really getting nervous at this point. I have a good set of plans though, just need to execute when the time is right.

2MF

I'm aware, climate change will take care of that eventually. But I don't think the answer is to tell people who are probably gonna lose their homes due to this storm that they're also gonna lose their livelihood as well.

If the worst happens to the Keys, building insurance might be real expensive after that? (assuming people are allowed to rebuild)

I'm glad I visited them last year...

dickroach

the eye is going right through my home too. oh this gives me an uneasy feeling. even more that I wont be home for who knows how long.

my house was in the eye of one of those 2004 Cat 3 storms. being able to walk outside when the rains stopped and its just breezy and chilly for a few minutes was so weird

lots of uprooted trees, but it's not like houses were being demolished

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.

what's wrong with you

III-V

my house was in the eye of one of those 2004 Cat 3 storms. being able to walk outside when the rains stopped and its just breezy and chilly for a few minutes was so weird

I also went through an eye, went outside during it as well. Was down to a cat 2 at that time IIRC.

FiggyCal

Banned

Something similar happened to me during Wilma. The damage it did to our apartment was unreal, but stepping outside for a brief moment was just really amazing. We actually had to leave our house because the roof was caving in.

Steejee

I was hoping for it to happen because I am mean. lol

I'll confess, I did too. Mother Nature providing a small warning tap.

Did have the funny realization that all the structures in the Southernmost point Marker cam, except for maybe the bits of tree, could survive a Cat 5. That shed on the left, IIRC, is basically a solid steel bunker housing an underwater ocean cable access point.

FTF

Is there a link for the mandatory evacuation zones? I have a friend whos sister is in Seminole, close to the water, and is stubbornly not leaving! I need to know if it's a mandatory zone to convince them to gtfo.

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Anyone want to explain to me how you can be this stupid? If theres one thing and one thing only the internet has brought us it's to show us how stupid large amounts of the population can be.

sflufan

Banned
Is there a link for the mandatory evacuation zones? I have a friend whos sister is in Seminole, close to the water, and is stubbornly not leaving! I need to know if it's a mandatory zone to convince them to gtfo.

Seminole County?

Steejee

The guy without the shirt keeps setting himself up to get nailed, managed to escape some comeuppance as no waves as big as the one that knocked the other guy down have come through.

Steejee

Will there anything left of the Keys?

There's plenty of structures that could survive most anything on the Keys, including old forts, military structures, hardened stuff. The catch is there's a lot more that aren't nearly as sturdy and the storm surge is going to cover most of the islands completely. Highest point on Key West is only 18ft, so I guess that's one spot that may stay above water.

Top Bottom