• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor in talks to fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
XGPOOil.jpg

I ain't gon say it no mo

Respek

The rules favor Mayweather too much. Even with the weight difference, Connor winning is almost impossible. Mayweather would outbox him and distance himself. There is no way McGregor can catch him.

If he also has to lose nearly 20 kilos then it won't just be a freakshow but dangerous. the weight cut for that combined with the punishment he is gonna take to the head. Don't do it Conor! Even if its the biggest pay day of your life, the head trauma is not worth it. He's not a boxer. He is an MMA fighter.

Mayweather in a MMA fight would have been even more disastrous, but here we are....

I dont believe this at all. Conor would stand zero chance in a boxing match with one of the greatest boxers of all time and he has to know that.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
What weight does mayweather usually box at also what is the height and reach comparison to Mcgregor?

I dont believe this at all. Conor would stand zero chance in a boxing match with one of the greatest boxers of all time and he has to know that.

would you take $10 million to lose a boxing match to one of the greatest boxers of all time? Or would you take maybe half that and probably get choked out by Nate Diaz again?

TheStruggler

would you take $10 million to lose a boxing match to one of the greatest boxers of all time? Or would you take maybe half that and probably get choked out by Nate Diaz again?

this right here, even if he loses he is making bank. Hell i'd go against mayweather for a 500,000 pay day.

3N16MA

Banned

Exactly. Losing to Mayweather doesn't even damage his image as he would be stepping into Mayweather's world. He loses, collects more cash than he could make with the UFC, still has MMA open with little to no damage to his career.

newjeruse

I wonder how hard it would be for a UFC guy to not instinctively counter with a MMA move in a boxing match. You would think it's kind of hard-coded into their wiring.

They should meet halfway under Glory kickboxing rules to make this actually interesting. Conor is still handicapped, but Floyd has to deal with something outside of his comfort zone.

TheStruggler

Mcgregor will have to counter and counter, jesus this very well could turn into a wwe match with all the reversals on finishes

IF this is even real, gotta hand it to Floyd for figuring out how to get the biggest payday for his 50th win with the least amount of risk. He'd have to fight an actually dangerous pro boxer to get anywhere near the same purse. And obviously Connor is no dummy to think he has any legitimate chance. I think it would be a shoot with Connor expecting to lose but not giving a fuck because he just wants the payday. It's like the proverbial ordinary Joe fighting Mike Tyson for a million dollars.

Fox318

I wonder how hard it would be for a UFC guy to not instinctively counter with a MMA move in a boxing match. You would think it's kind of hard-coded into their wiring.

I mean guys kickbox and do MMA and Conor was a boxer.

Not like Floyd is gonna shoot for a single leg, only thing Floyd will do in the fight is hug and collect his checks.

Maxim726X

Oh man, can I put money on this now?

Conor is going to get embarrassed on national television... Hope the payday is worth it.

TheStruggler

Not like Floyd is gonna shoot for a single leg, only thing Floyd will do in the Fight is hug and collect his checks.

I actually wonder what Mcgregors retaliation would be due to all the clinching that mayweather does. I hate how much clinching there is in boxing, you should be only allowed a certain amount of clinches per round and if you go over you lose a point

Furyous

Can you edit your post as it's not 10 mill it's more like over 30, possibly 40, and upwards of 50 mill for Connor. I base these numbers off the purses from Mayweather's previous opponents even going on the low end.

Yes, I would take $10 million to lose to the greatest boxer of his generation. Conor comes from the slums so this fight is basically hitting the lotto. Take this fight and retire. Mayweather is making at least $100 million from this fight as that is "low" six figures. It's not really low to me but it's low for him.

Not going to happen. He's signed to a contract with the UFC and there's not a chance he'd get out of it for something like this. Connor should be careful with these the publicity games he's been playing recently. With this, and other stuff like claiming he was back on the UFC 200 card when he wasn't, he is going to lose credibility pretty quickly.

Yeah this. UFC fighters do grappling sometimes because UFC lets them. They will not let Conor box. He won't be able to retire to get out of the contract because Randy Couture tried that and got fucked in court.

Not to mention that no reputable commission would sanction a fight between Floyd and someone who never boxed before.

This is another negotiating tactic just like claiming he was back on UFC 200. Both his PR team and the press who are buying this have lost their minds

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The only way Connor wins is if he fights at 170+ lbs and Floyd has one hand tied behind his back.

DKehoe

The UFC will let fighters do grappling and BJJ events.

pyyYoGI.jpg

maybe it will feature shoot grappling?

They need to get permission from UFC to do that. Bisping getting permission to do that UR Fight grappling match or guys like Josh Barnett getting permission to do Metamoris is a whole different thing than Conor doing a boxing match with Mayweather.

It is not going to happen and acting like it might is pointless.

They need to get permission from UFC to do that. Bisping getting permission to do that UR Fight grappling match or guys like Josh Barnett getting permission to do Metamoris is a whole different thing than Conor doing a boxing match with Mayweather.

It is not going to happen and acting like it might is pointless.

I'm stunned that anyone is buying into this nonsense tbqh

The problem with free speech absolutism is we can't ban any journalist who takes this seriously from ever writing again

BadAss2961

Worth it for Conor. He'll get wrecked, but it's the biggest payday he'll ever receive. He also has nothing to lose.

BadAss2961

Not like Floyd is gonna shoot for a single leg, only thing Floyd will do in the fight is hug and collect his checks.
Nah, Conor would get stopped. Boxers are on a whole 'nother level with their hands.

JimiNutz

Banned
Completely ludicrous.
Conor is never going to beat Floyd in straight boxing just as Floyd will never beat Conor at MMA or kickboxing.

Conor is also way too big and would have to cut way too much weight.

The whole thing would be a freakshow fight and I'm not interested in seeing it. Conor is surely only in it for the payday.

BadAss2961

Completely ludicrous.
Conor is never going to beat Floyd in straight boxing just as Floyd will never beat Conor at MMA or kickboxing.

Conor is also way too big and would have to cut way too much weight.

The whole thing would be a freakshow fight and I'm not interested in seeing it. Conor is surely only in it for the payday.
Conor would cut less weight fighting Floyd than he does to make Featherweight in UFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom