• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor in talks to fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the boxing fans writing off Conor, I wouldn't be nearly so confident -- especially if it was kickboxing, but even under something closer to boxing rules. Conor has far more impressive KOs on his record (like Jose Aldo) than Floyd does in the past ten years. He has legit power and technique and would be a real threat to Floyd, which is why I doubt Floyd would ever take the fight.

Don't overestimate Conor's loss to Diaz either -- Diaz (1) outweighed him by a ton in that fight and (2) still barely won via a lucky sub after getting annihilated and nearly finished in the first round, neither of which will be an issue with Floyd. This matchup would let Conor showcase all of his strengths and none of his weaknesses. A Conor who doesn't have to worry about takedowns and can't be beaten by someone snatching a lucky sub? That is absolutely scary.

A lucky Sub? from... Diaz? Are you delusional dude?

Wait, I read the rest of your post also. You are delusional. McGregor has no chance against Diaz in a MMA or Boxing match. He would get destroyed by Mayweather.

charsace

I'd like to see them agree to a huge split purse, boxing only, bell rings, connor and floyd trade a few little jabs, and then BOOM, Conner says F it and kicks Floyd in the head, drops him cold, grabs a mic and proclaims that boxing is dead.

That would be an epic Connon thing to do.
Conor wouldn't get the money an would be dead by month's end.

kodecraft

Only the build up would be hype. McGregor can literally out shit talk Floyd, he would have Floyd stuttering and pissed off.

maks

Why not troll since people have actually taken the sun article seriously. At this point his team wants to see how far it goes. Maybe espn mentions it again lol.

Tom_Cody

MzmEzNb.jpg

McGregor is stepping up his boxing training.

TheFlow

Banned
To the boxing fans writing off Conor, I wouldn't be nearly so confident -- especially if it was kickboxing, but even under something closer to boxing rules. Conor has far more impressive KOs on his record (like Jose Aldo) than Floyd does in the past ten years. He has legit power and technique and would be a real threat to Floyd, which is why I doubt Floyd would ever take the fight.

Don't overestimate Conor's loss to Diaz either -- Diaz (1) outweighed him by a ton in that fight and (2) still barely won via a lucky sub after getting annihilated and nearly finished in the first round, neither of which will be an issue with Floyd. This matchup would let Conor showcase all of his strengths and none of his weaknesses. A Conor who doesn't have to worry about takedowns and can't be beaten by someone snatching a lucky sub? That is absolutely scary.
Not this shit again. Mayweather clowns fools because this hype.

Not this shit again. Mayweather clowns fools because this hype.

So true. Hype the fuck outta all these oppenets, but in the ring it isn't even a close match up. Just speaking from a boxing fans point of view, the only way Mayweather is gonna lose a fight, is to fight at middleweight 160, or be off his game in the ring.

Please guys, don't buy into the hype that a non-boxer is gonna beat the best boxer of this era in a boxing match........

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So true. Hype the fuck outta all these oppenets, but in the ring it isn't even a close match up. Just speaking from a boxing fans point of view, the only way Mayweather is gonna lose a fight, is to fight at middleweight 160, or be off his game in the ring.

Please guys, don't buy into the hype that a non-boxer is gonna beat the best boxer of this era in a boxing match........

Haha this reminds me of some conversations with some friends of mine who are huge into MMA but don't care for boxing for whatever reason and they were really sure that McGregor had a real chance. They didn't really seem to get that Connor would have like two thirds of his arsenal eliminated in a straight boxing match. No grappling, no ground game, no kicks, 12 rounds long, etc. Its so stacked in Mayweather's favor already they'd have to give Collin a baseball bat to give him a chance.

Sanjuro

He can still go the distance.

Not sure he is winning, or even landing a shot if Mayweather is actually trying.

nottodisushittoagen.jpeg

Conor is stepping up his boxing training because he isn't a good boxer. Good boxing technique can wreak havoc with a lot of MMA types. To hang with Nate, Conor will need all tools. BJJ should be a main focus, but he's honestly too far behind at this point.

Well it's no secret that Floyd would land at will. A boxing match with Conor would look like his fight against Gatti, but a few times worse.

I just thought he would try to actually box and not treat it like an MMA fight where he only uses his fists. I gave him too much credit, apparently.

flkraven

I'd pay for this. It's great seeing a cocky guy get knocked down a few pegs. The Diaz fight was one of the most memorable sporting event watching experiences I've had in my whole life

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_ohlw2d4p

Yo. I thought maybe there was a chance he was taking this seriously, but he has no concept of using his hands to block. Conor, stahp.

This is embarrassing. He would get smoked by an amateur.

That is fucking dreadful. No head movement, hands down, wide open and getting countered almost every time he throws. Anyone who thinks Mayweather aka the best boxer of his generation wouldn't school someone who looks this amateur is deluded

KingJ2002

That video was a joke... and this fight happening would be an even bigger joke... on UFC.

Mayweather putting on a show and getting conor to take an L would put more attention on boxing than the UFC.

The possibility of conor retiring from fighting after this potential big payday would also mean the UFC loses one of it's brightest stars.

maybe to Conor this is Leverage for the UFC to payout more on his fights... he's clearly trying to become the "Money Mayweather" of the UFC and by doing this stunt he's trying to say "Either you will pay me or boxing will... take your pick"

kmax

Let's face it, Connor will get destroyed if this fight happens.

I'd love to see these two go at it though.

maks

Colin cowherd just said on his radio show that he and friends booked rooms in vegas for September 17 and 18. He didnt think the fight was happening until new info he got just this weekend. He expects news to break in 2 weeks.

highrider

Banned
Like moths to a flame, armchair boxing analysts in a Mayweather thread. But it's true, Connor isn't capable of out boxing Floyd, I'll give him a punchers chance though. He has knockout power, Floyd doesn't anymore.

Fitts

So dumb. If it's boxing, Conor gets destroyed. If MMA, Floyd gets destroyed. Nothing to be gained by either man here.

...well, except for money I guess.

maks

Im trying to figure out why Colins sources thinks its September. Cinco de mayo and New Years should be the biggest dates. It just occured to me that Cannelo vs GGG has been rumored for September in Dallas, i beleive on that same weekend.

It could very well be Mayweathers team trolling Canelo. They started these rumors at his Khan fight and now playing with the rumored GGG fight date.

Everyone knows Mayweather vs McGregor wont be much of a fight but it would likely kill Canelo vs GGG in money.

Im trying to figure out why Colins sources thinks its September. Cinco de mayo and New Years should be the biggest dates. It just occured to me that Cannelo vs GGG has been rumored for September in Dallas, i beleive on that same weekend.

It could very well be Mayweathers team trolling Canelo. They started these rumors at his Khan fight and now playing with the rumored GGG fight date.

Everyone knows Mayweather vs McGregor wont be much of a fight but it would likely kill Canelo vs GGG in money.

Historically Mayweather fights in May and September. Canelo/GGG isn't happening in 2016 so that date is open. Canelo might fight some can the week before or week after.

Mayweather is going to put on a boxing clinic on McGregor, landing clean strikes at will. Mayweather's brittle hands won't be able to land the KO, however.

Mayweather by unanimous decision after 12.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, Conor has awful striking defense. This is just basically a cash-out-and-retire fight if it happens I think. Believe that's what he's been gunning for even on the UFC side. No interest in legit fights in his weight class for example, just clown fights for big money (and by 'clown' I don't necessarily mean easy, like the Diaz rematch that he would probably lose). Can't blame him!

IrishNinja

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_ohlw2d4p

Yo. I thought maybe there was a chance he was taking this seriously, but he has no concept of using his hands to block. Conor, stahp.

This is embarrassing. He would get smoked by an amateur.

this is literally what i see when watching a lot of UFC fighters striking...he's all openings

Wow. Just wow. That is so much worse than I even expected.

Btw, here's a video of his sparring partner getting taken apart by Errol Spence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VooN72RtPk8

damn, this was rough to watch as well

September (forgot the day) is Mexicos Independence Day. big weekend for the boxing world

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Like moths to a flame, armchair boxing analysts in a Mayweather thread. But it's true, Connor isn't capable of out boxing Floyd, I'll give him a punchers chance though. He has knockout power, Floyd doesn't anymore.

You don't need an expert to say that a good to great UFC fighter is going to have serious problems with an undefeated life long professional boxer who is known for clowning fools with a style that isn't flashy at all but super effective. What exactly is Connor going to do when he has trouble with certain strikers in the UFC. Most of his usual arsenal is not allowed in a boxing match and he also has to go probably 10 rounds on top of the weight change needed to meet Floyd's demands. Its like taking your decent road ready sports car and trying to race it against the best F1 Driver in the world on a track he's gone down a thousands time before.

Qvoth

might be true for all i know, but that picture looks so unprofessional makes me think a teenager made it in 15 minutes with microsoft paint or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom