• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor in talks to fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

raw

What a truly fantastic gif. McMahon sniffing the cash and nodding to himself like he's just understood some greater truth is just great.

nillah

Banned
Best two out of three, second fight is mma, if there is a third fight you go street fight or a round of Smash Brothers LIVE

they already got what they wanted out of this, everyone will be talking about it. Then Conor will come out on ESPN and all these other outlets to promote his fight with Nate Diaz.

Free promotion.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The pre-fight talk will be legendary, probably a couple of the GOAT press conferences ever.

The fight itself would be easy work for Mayweather, he'd humiliate Conor, probably KO him in a couple rounds.

GodofWine

I'd like to see them agree to a huge split purse, boxing only, bell rings, connor and floyd trade a few little jabs, and then BOOM, Conner says F it and kicks Floyd in the head, drops him cold, grabs a mic and proclaims that boxing is dead.

That would be an epic Connon thing to do.

I'd like to see them agree to a huge split purse, boxing only, bell rings, connor and floyd trade a few little jabs, and then BOOM, Conner says F it and kicks Floyd in the head, drops him cold, grabs a mic and proclaims that boxing is dead.

That would be an epic Connon thing to do.

And then the commission strips him of his purse.

Tekniqs

lol what for?

Conor doesn't deserve to be in the same boxing ring as Floyd

and Floyd doesn't deserve to be in the same octagon as Conor

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To the boxing fans writing off Conor, I wouldn't be nearly so confident -- especially if it was kickboxing, but even under something closer to boxing rules. Conor has far more impressive KOs on his record (like Jose Aldo) than Floyd does in the past ten years. He has legit power and technique and would be a real threat to Floyd, which is why I doubt Floyd would ever take the fight.

Don't overestimate Conor's loss to Diaz either -- Diaz (1) outweighed him by a ton in that fight and (2) still barely won via a lucky sub after getting annihilated and nearly finished in the first round, neither of which will be an issue with Floyd. This matchup would let Conor showcase all of his strengths and none of his weaknesses. A Conor who doesn't have to worry about takedowns and can't be beaten by someone snatching a lucky sub? That is absolutely scary.

Kevin Iole ‏@KevinI 4s4 seconds ago

Per @BovadaLV, if the fight which is not happening were to happen @FloydMayweather would be 1-20 or minus-2000. @TheNotoriousMMA is plus-900

lol -2000

Edit - How about Conor defends his belt

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
To the boxing fans writing off Conor, I wouldn't be nearly so confident -- especially if it was kickboxing, but even under something closer to boxing rules. Conor has far more impressive KOs on his record (like Jose Aldo) than Floyd does in the past ten years. He has legit power and technique and would be a real threat to Floyd, which is why I doubt Floyd would ever take the fight.

Don't overestimate Conor's loss to Diaz either -- Diaz (1) outweighed him by a ton in that fight and (2) still barely won via a lucky sub after getting annihilated and nearly finished in the first round, neither of which will be an issue with Floyd. This matchup would let Conor showcase all of his strengths and none of his weaknesses. A Conor who doesn't have to worry about takedowns and can't be beaten by someone snatching a lucky sub? That is absolutely scary.

I dont want to underestimate him, and I would rather him win however Floyd is 49-0 for a reason and he is undoubtedly the best counter puncher in boxing history.

old

Sounds to me like Connor is trying to piss off the UFC and gain some leverage back.

"Oh, don't want me to fight Floyd? Better give me that Diaz fight at 200 then."

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What weight does mayweather usually box at also what is the height and reach comparison to Mcgregor?

Mayweather fought longest at boxing welterweight and around it, which matches close to MMA featherweight where McGregor has fought most of his UFC career. Conor would have an inch or two reach and height advantage in the fantasy world where this happens and isn't just Conor trying to say "See? I did promotion!" to get back on the good side of the UFC.

Sounds to me like Connor is trying to piss off the UFC and gain some leverage back.

"Oh, don't want me to fight Floyd? Better give me that Diaz fight at 200 then."

If he wants to fight at 200 he can explain to Jon Jones why he should be in the main event

I like Conor and even after his defeat still think he's a great fighter but Mayweather has beaten some great fighters in his time and made many of them look like amateurs, he is a technical master when it comes to boxing and unless age has slowed him down since retiring I can't see anyone not fully committed to boxing taking him on

Euphor!a

Banned
To the boxing fans writing off Conor, I wouldn't be nearly so confident -- especially if it was kickboxing, but even under something closer to boxing rules. Conor has far more impressive KOs on his record (like Jose Aldo) than Floyd does in the past ten years. He has legit power and technique and would be a real threat to Floyd,

No, he wouldn't be. Floyd would make him look like a complete joke in a boxing match.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

laugh.gif

1355.gif

BadAss2961

Floyd won't rush forward chin first like Aldo did.

Conor's power is irrelevant. They wouldn't be using the little 4 oz MMA gloves. Plus it's doubtful he has the kind of power guys like Canelo or Cotto have anyway.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Thanks bro I needed that laugh

I doubt it. Conor isn't doing a straight boxing match with Floyd for only $7 million after he was pissed that he was only getting $10 million at 200. He has a match with Diaz at 202 anyways it seems.

Besides those points, Conor is a good boxer, Floyd is one of the very best of all time. Conor knows that, he's not an idiot.

What's to stop the UFC from garnishing his payout for breach of contract?

It wouldn't even get that far. As has already been pointed out, they'd go to a judge and get an injunction to stop the fight ever happening. That's what ahppened to Randy Couture and Rampage JAckson in similar situations.

That's not going to stop people from fantasising about the fight happening though

the sources in the OP are trash and none of the details make any sense.

would you take $10 million to lose a boxing match to one of the greatest boxers of all time? Or would you take maybe half that and probably get choked out by Nate Diaz again?
he was going to get 10 million plus points to fight Nate Diaz again.

Even under a kickboxing ruleset, I wouldn't give it to Conor. Floyd is a slippery fucker who will just run around the ring and jab him to death. Nothing short of being allowed takedowns and grappling as in a full mma fight, can Conor realistically stop his trolling.

McGregor would get destroyed anyway. Hopefully for him it's not real.

Hell, he isn't beating Diaz either. No situation where he outlasts Diaz standing or on the ground. McGregor should have really retired.

The Beard

The shit talking would be monumental. The lead up to the fight would be 100X more exciting than the actual fight. I always knew Mayweather would fight again, but this fight against Conor will never happen.

I'm much more of an MMA fan than a boxing fan and you're delusional. Floyd has some of the best striking defense in the history of boxing.

(1)Diaz didn't outweigh Conor by a ton. Diaz has most often fought at 155 and there was about a 2 pound difference at the weigh in. (2) lol

Ok, this is a troll post.

EnthronedReaper

Neo Member
If this happens I'm putting 5 Hundo down on Gregor. His chances of winning are unfathomable but if by chance he does, it would be the best pay out. since everyone and their grandma would go for the easy mayweather victory

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I hope this happens and Mcgregor retires a rich man. I would gladly get my ass kicked by Mayweather for millions too.

Fuck you Dana.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"Strictly boxing and Connor would have to lose 25lbs".

There isn't a boxer on earth that's going to beat Floyd in those conditions. Why the fuck would any non-boxer think this is a good idea?

The result of believing your own hype

Floyd gonna say 'let him be comfortable'

Obviously not going to happen, but if it ever did, I think the fairest way to do it would be for them to meet halfway. Halfway between boxing and MMA = K1/Glory rules. Bang.

VoxPop

Glad this was all bs.

Conor got worked in boxing by Diaz. Him fighting Mayweather is literally career suicide aside from the payday.

People that have been training and conditioning their entire lives to be boxers and fight with their hands and they lose to Floyd at the top level and you think a MMA fighter with a distinctly average striking ability, in the boxing world, could actually have a chance.

nilbog21

Banned

ok straight up delusional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom