• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

commedieu

Banned
Yeah, winning the early rounds clearly wasn't the goal for Mayweather. He pretty much did nothing, threw barely anything. Didn't seem phased by Conor's shots either. The goal was to study, figure, download and ultimately tire him out. He wanted to stop him.

If he was going for rounds we would of seen his more traditional defensive counter-play style in full force with a lot more movement, and he almost certainly would of won those early rounds. He saved his energy, lost the rounds so he could unload in the later rounds.

Again. Exactly like everyone said. I'm just amazed that he wasn't even warned. Or trained.

He just died the way everyone said. But had hope that he did some different training.

Turin

Banned
Anecdotal, but there was a huge crowd at the pub I watched this at, and most people were talking up how well Conor did post fight.

I think he deserves credit getting himself as prepared as he was.

Still, Floyd gave him everything he could possibly want to score the upset.

hwy_61

Banned
So you are saying there was a massive skill difference between one of the greatest boxers ever and a guy making his boxing debut? Who could have predicted that?

But that left, bro.

I had to endure this for months and months.

People at work
People at the barbershop
IN LINE FOR A CINNAMON ROLL AT IKEA

Did we watch the same fight? Because he tagged conor. Remember every hit on conor, is insured by all of the bullshit he talked.

It's like quad damage.

He didn't last 10 rounds.

Floyd decided to end it in 10 rounds.

That's my point tho, people all over social media are blowing up what a great fight that was and how Conor was so good until he got gassed like.

Floyd was treating him like a sparring partner for a few rounds then decided to end it cause he had enough of that shit.

I was pleasantly surprised with this. It was more entertaining than Paq v MW. You could tell immediately that MW was baiting Conor in so it was inevitable that Conor was going to get gassed but Conor did get some good tags in on one of the greatest fighters of all-time.

I think MW could have taken care of McGregor earlier but I am glad he didn't. It was simply fun to see McGregor land consecutive jabs and clean hooks and cuts. It might have been a little longer than Floyd wanted but he still got his W and put the illusion on that Conor could go 9+ against Floyd.

SpacLock

After Brexit and Trump, a Conor victory would signal the end of days

What? What the fuck does that mean?

Anyway, I personally wanted to see McGregor do some more damage, but talk about outclassed. Sheesh. Entertaining fight, that's for damn sure!

Why are MMA and Boxing fans taking this serious?

It was fun and that's it. Enjoy the moment.

Exactly it was just a fun fight. I had a great time and it pretty much went exactly how I thought it would (though McGregor lasted a little bit longer than I expected)

This isn't Conor's sport, and Floyd was trying to put on a show. It was just a fun one off fight

commedieu

Banned
That's my point tho, people all over social media are blowing up what a great fight that was and how Conor was so good until he got gassed like.

Floyd was treating him like a sparring partner for a few rounds then decided to end it cause he had enough of that shit.

He had total control. It was impressive to watch boxing vs a eager ufc guy at his prime. Totally dismantled.

Feel stupid for thinking Conor had a chance.

FRS1987

I can't believe boxing fans are acting like this was a forgone conclusion... I remember the same people saying this wouldn't go past round 5.

At the same time Floyd was practically toying with him the entire early rounds. It prob would have been different if he actually was being aggressive in the beginning but he played it extremely safe like he usually does. Conor did well though, at least way better than I initially thought.

Drensch

I'll reiterate if people want to see a more traditionally exciting boxing match they should tune in for the Canelo vs GGG in a few weeks. There are have been a lot of great fights this year but that one especially should satisfy people looking for much more of a visceral boxing match between two legit hungry pro's.
Yep, should be great.

zewone

Are we just gonna ignore all his talk about finishing this fight under four rounds and rip off Floyd's head and all this other shit?

Some of you are desperate for him to have his cake and eat it too. Mystic Mac! He says what he will do and then does it! But it's cool when he doesn't.
You sound like a guy who has never put anything on the line in your life. Why not actually learn a martial art and compete yourself?

Grow up.

zelas

And Floyd still couldn't knock him out. Gas tank was Conor's downfall.

LOL! Dude wasn't going to win whether the ref stepped in or not. Mayweather being the vastly superior boxer was Conor's downfall. Ask Conor to step in the ring with someone that isnt an old man and actually matches his size. See how well he does then.

hwy_61

Banned
Why are MMA and Boxing fans taking this serious?

It was fun and that's it. Enjoy the moment.

Because of the media hype. Death of boxing/MMA got thrown around so much. It's easy to see people getting worked up over months and months of that shit

Oh wow. ESPN just released some behind the scenes footage of Mayweather preparing for this fight:

2ti9o.gif

lol

Facts. Floyd is waaay too smart to do MMA and he would never/should never take that kind of paycut

He wouldn't do it even if he got 100+ million. Unless he's willing to take the money to satisfy his haters. That's a lot of money, but he knows he would go in there to get destroyed far worse than what he did to Conor. He's rich enough so letting all his haters have the satisfaction of seeing his arm broken or faced punched while mounted wouldn't be worth it.

Conor can try and shit talk Floyd to bait him into a MMA fight, but it'll never happen.

Sentenza

What does fought like a Mexican mean?
Those are generalizations used to summarize styles that tend to be common among fighters of a certain nationality/school.

The mexican school of boxing is very aggressive. Mexican fighters typically don't spare themselves and go to war on the ring.
The cuban school of boxing is typically very skillful, graceful, elegant.
Russian boxing tends to be very technical: simple and not very flashy, but built on strong fundamental, so extremely effective.

etc, etc.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should drop Floyd and Conor off in a jungle and have them face off in a Predator style death match.

abuC

Even with 8 ounce gloves i'm shocked Conor's punches were so soft

The gloves difference is overstated, punching force between boxing gloves and MMA gloves have been tested and it's virtually the same. The gloves aren't to protect the fighters from impact, they're to protect their hands from breaking.

Rubenov

Its gonna be a while before we get a more skilled fighter than Mayweather.

Maybe not again in my lifetime.

Yep. He fought and beat the best (Manny, Canelo, Coto the last few great ones)... and was never even close to losing a match.

Best boxer I've seen in my 35 years; even if not always the most "entertaining" his skills are above everyone else's.

Are we just gonna ignore all his talk about finishing this fight under four rounds and rip off Floyd's head and all this other shit?

Some of you are desperate for him to have his cake and eat it too. Mystic Mac! He says what he will do and then does it! But it's cool when he doesn't.

That was just to sell tickets bro. But yeah Mac sure can talk shit.

ViciousDS

Banned
I thought the fight was entertaining. But Conor definitely was muscle reacting to mma. He looked like he was going to throw a kick to counter almost every time

Top Bottom