• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Nuu

Banned
I've never watched boxing in my life and didn't even know about this fight until getting to work and seeing my coworker had the pre-game playing. He's a huge MMA fan and asked who I thought would win. After telling him I have no clue as I don't pay attention to the stuff he explained briefly the history and my immediate thought was "obviously the pro boxer wins the boxing match as an MMA fighter is trained and conditioned for something different". So you don't need to be particularly astute or well-versed in either sport to see the outcome.

Pretty much this shit.

It would be like an american football team vs a rugby team...in american football. Who would win?

The answer is obvious.

HiiiLife

A3ve5Ii.jpg

Not the underwear tho lol.

Belker

I watched all the fights and like the start of them MayMac fight when it was seeing two disciplines trying to somehow fit together.

The end of the fight wasn't enjoyable, apart from a kind of scab-picking pleasure from seeing a master dismantle an apprentice.

I think the £20 I spent wasn't fully earned in entertainment, but not fully wasted.

So I don't understand. Floyd obviously was laying low early on feeling McGregor out. Floyd is a very smart boxer. But what I don't understand is why judges are rewarding a strategy and not what's going on in the ring? McGregor landed punches in those early rounds, and some decent ones at that, but because it's part of Mayweather's plan he McGregor still loses the rounds.

I've had a problem with how judges score Mayweathers fights for a while. And to be clear, I'm not saying McGregor was ahead or that Pac should have won. I'm just saying judges aren't rewarding what's actually happening. No reasonable person can say Floyd won both round one and round two. I think McGregor won round 3 and maybe one more round, but thosea are definitely more debatable.

I didn't see the judges scores of 1/2 but I agree he should have them on points, but it was the usual mayweather game plan, slug the first 3/4 rounds out defending, tiring and learning then ramp up

Akainu

pXVq8g0.jpg

Diehard MMA fans are already forming their narrative. They seem keen on erasing all footage between rounds 3 and 10 so they can pretend Mayweather didnt completely dismantle Conor BEFORE he was gassed. If Conor wasn't so keen on going for repeat back mount attempts, to escape Floyd teeing off on him, he might have lasted all 12.

They also need to realize Floyd gave Conor those early rounds for free.

Moral victory? Aren't they both shitheads?

It was easy money for both. McGregor only got hit hard a few times, dude made a shit load of cash for just getting gassed.

Yep, people on message boards will take shots at each other, but Floyd and Conor played everyone and both walked out stupid rich.

Sentenza

I think one of the younger harder hitting boxing stars puts Conor on the mat in this situation.
Likely. Mayweather is very skilled but he hasn't ever been a powerhouse, and arguably even a bit pillow-fisted since he moved above the 140 pounds.

A boxer like Canelo, despise having been completely outclassed when he faced Floyd, hitting air for 12 rounds, would have likely inflicted far more damage to Connor in this scenario.

Same goes for GGG, Spence Jr, Lemieux... It's a long list, really.

LosDaddie

Banned
People don't understand that these guys don't have the power to knock the other out unless it's some miracle combo, or (more likely) a lucky punch to the side of the temple.

JettDash

Wait. Its actually legal for the participants to bet on themselves in boxing? You can't do that in any other sports that I'm aware of

I don't think it is illegal in other sports. You would just get in trouble with the NFL or whatever.

Though if Tom Brady wants to bet $1m that he wins the Superbowl, I don't see the problem.

Syder

Because most boxing judges don't give you points for hitting a guy in the arms and back of the head. People around here predictably overrated the fuck out of Conor's performance in those first few rounds. All you needed was Joe Rogan yelling every time Conor slapped Floyd's arms to really cement the delusion.
You summed 95% of the posts in the first 6 rounds perfectly.

labx

Banned
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, as long as mcg wasn't knocked flat in 2 he had 'won' the participants trophy. This fight had different expectations and both fighters basically got what they wanted.

100% agree. Both of them are getting what they wanted from the fight. (Money, of course). A good show nonetheless.

LOLDSFAN

pXVq8g0.jpg

Diehard MMA fans are already forming their narrative. They seem keen on erasing all footage between rounds 3 and 10 so they can pretend Mayweather didnt completely dismantle Conor BEFORE he was gassed. If Conor wasn't so keen on going for repeat back mount attempts, to escape Floyd teeing off on him, he might have lasted all 12.

They also need to realize Floyd gave Conor those early rounds for free.

Huh.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
-375 Mayweather, hoo boy, lots of kool-aid must've been going down the hatch over the last few months for that line to be real life. Was gonna fly out to Vegas after I heard last night, but hurricane in town. :|

My guess is he doesn't fight again unless UFC is willing to give him more of the lion's share of his next PPV fight.

That's what i've been thinking. I know the UFC and Dana liked this idea because it was going to give more attention to the sport. But it also gave Conor a taste of what the UFC really can't offer him in terms of money. He likely made more in this one fight than he has in his entire MMA career.

Dana said they would change the pay structure for him to match boxing purses to keep him from being lured to other boxing fights.

I guess that would be one way to do it. I'll be curious to see if this fight does anything to boost PPV buys for his next UFC fight where he gets more in Mayweather range. Right now including this fight Mayweather will have the top 4 sporting PPV buys in history. Being able to get a fight with him is an instant payday for any fighter.

FUME5

Anecdotal, but there was a huge crowd at the pub I watched this at, and most people were talking up how well Conor did post fight.

TaterTots

Banned
Hindsight.

Conor literally got mercd, the way everyone said he would. Gas out. I can't understand how he didn't train to not gas out.

The only explanation, is that this is a setup.

They come from 2 different sports. A big component of boxing is endurance. Floyd has been doing it for a long, long time. Can't just throw someone in the ring with a veteran and expect their endurance to be better like that lol. This, "its a work" angle is hilarious. If Floyd would of lost it wouldn't be a thing.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
because Conor wasn't actually landing anythingMMA fans get salty after defensive wins in that sport too. Tyron Woodley is one of the most hated Champions of all time because his fights are "boring".

It figures that casuals think Conor's performance was good. Not only did Floyd give Conor those rounds, he actively tried to stop Conor from getting points deducted or disqualified.

Tonight's card was garbage from top to bottom and anyone that paid the full $100 has been swiftly punished for being a mark for this carny bullshit. This was not a spectacle, and I pray to God something like this never happens again; it wasn't worth the months of build-up.

Go buy Canelo Alvarez v Gennady Golovkin if you want to be entertained (Sept 16th)

Is it fun to be this much of a snob?

Ugh...

Floyd did great educating people on what makes a boxing a great, tactical combat sport.

Just leave it at that.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Dude this has to be one of the worst performances that mayweather had. Even though he won, I believe that he actually wont't come back for another match.

Didn't guy come out of retirement for this? He was done. This is his absolute final fight. If there is ever another, it would have to exceed the supposed 300mil he's getting out of this, exponentially, and even then, he may not even do it, just to keep the 50/0,

Heroman

Banned
-375 Mayweather, hoo boy, lots of kool-aid must've been going down the hatch over the last few months for that line to be real life. Was gonna fly out to Vegas after I heard last night, but hurricane in town. :|
So this is where the add money goes lol

JettDash

I know right.

I got in at -400 and -375

lol

Tall4Life

Saying this match sucked because it wasn't a great technical/pure boxing match is like saying Hogan/Rock at Wrestlemania X8 is shit because of lack of technical prowess

it's a spectacle folks

This was my second time watching a boxing match and I really enjoyed it. Sorry to say but I'm glad I stayed away from the gaf thread whilst I was watching because man some of you guys' comments were so negative and annoying. Whilst I'm sat here thoroughly enjoying the fight most of you were complaining about how boring it was and how mayweather was just playing with mcgregor. You're just like tv gaf haha.

Top Bottom