• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Floyd just made the biggest payday of his career to basically have a late night sparring match against the beefy dude from the Y that thinks he can fight

His manager and whoever pulled this booking deserve double their rate.

After 49 fights, Floyd finally decided to fight for the crowd and give them a show.

This is crazy how they worked this thing so that everyone comes out a winner. Floyd gets his mega money, his 50-0 and goes out with a casual audience pleasing fight that will help wipe away a little of the bad taste left over from the Pac fight.

Conor gets his huge payday, added respect from the casual audience because (by whatever means) he made it into the late rounds, he didnt get beat up too much, and now bis star is bigger than ever and can cash out with a few more big paydays (if he even still wants to fight after this kind of money).

They worked this shit to perfection.

He's not wrong...

LMFAO HOLY SHIIIIIIT......
mjgrin.png

Hindsight.

Conor literally got mercd, the way everyone said he would. Gas out. I can't understand how he didn't train to not gas out.

The only explanation, is that this is a setup.

I don't think it's anything that sinister.

McGregor would have to double his ring stamina to last 12 rounds. There simply wasn't enough training time to do this. Only shot McGregor ever had was if he knocked Mayweather out in the early rounds. That round 3 boast by McGregor was pretty deliberate I thought.

He had total control. It was impressive to watch boxing vs a eager ufc guy at his prime. Totally dismantled.

Feel stupid for thinking Conor had a chance.

Don't worry about it, Dana and Connor are master sales guys ;)

Mayweather always said trust him and he will make you rich, just folllow the money team!

And all the TMT fighters won tonight also

Heroman

Banned
How not? Mayweather proves he still the best in the world, McGregor showed he could go 10 rounds with the best and they both make 9 figure dollars amounts.
No, McGregor at point in the fight hot control he was playing Mayweather's game and got killed for it. At no point was he going with the best.

TraBuch

Banned
Yep. He fought and beat the best (Manny, Canelo, Coto the last few great ones)... and was never even close to losing a match.

Best boxer I've seen in my 35 years; even if not always the most "entertaining" his skills are above everyone else's.
I think we all know Prince Naseem would've beaten him and out-trashed talked him and out-entranced him.

Syder

Can you imagine if it was Canelo or GGG fighting Conor lol.
Conor is extremely lucky that the greatest of all time is a defensive maestro and not a knockout merchant. Even old and busted Pacquiao would've put Conor on his ass.

I said back in February that no one should expect anything from this but they'll eat it up anyway. The only good thing about this mess was the build-up and even that fell way short of my expectations.

This fight goes however Floyd chooses. If he wants it to go long and give viewers their money's worth, he will. (Although, who knows how many rounds McGregor can go with his limited gas tank also he's going to be even more screwed with 10 oz gloves)

McGregor has good footwork, yes, but we've seen his sparring; Mayweather WILL land, we're talking about P4P one of the GOATs and Money didn't decline with age. Even at 40, his fundamentals are just going to completely expose Conor.
RG0BS1U.gif

Nydius

Stephen a right now l����

IT'S JUST A BURGER!

...goddamn I want to invent a TV that mutes just Stephen A based on the pitch of his voice. When he gets too worked up, it automatically turns on an saves my eardrums.

keenerz

Conor just walked out with a $100 million in a fight that isn't his sport at all and does nothing to tarnish his legacy whatsoever in MMA.

If that's dumb, I want some of what he's having
I believe McGregor was only guaranteed a 30 Million dollar pay out where Mayweather was guaranteed the 100 million

besada

Banned
How is McGregor dumb.

He got $100m and didn't even get beat up that bad.

Dumb in the sense of possibly thinking he could win in a cross-over sport like that. Getting paid does absolutely nothing to wind back the weeks of bullshit he has to eat now. They were always going to get paid.

Magilla

Banned
Oh come on. You know they coming for that rematch money. This fight shouldn't have never happened, but it did. And it wasn't a total farce. So they are going to hype the unnecessary rematch.

Beefy

Floyd just made the biggest payday of his career to basically have a late night sparring match against the beefy dude from the Y that thinks he can fight

His manager and whoever pulled this booking deserve double their rate.

Conner just got his biggest payday for shit talking and getting gassed and taking about 8 hard hits.

So this is the first fight in Boxing or UFC I've ever watched in my adult life and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great strategy by Floyd and Conor looked tired way early. Seemed like Floyd was fucking with him.

Fight was totally worth it.

After 49 fights, Floyd finally decided to fight for the crowd and give them a show.

This is crazy how they worked this thing so that everyone comes out a winner. Floyd gets his mega money, his 50-0 and goes out with a casual audience pleasing fight that will help wipe away a little of the bad taste left over from the Pac fight.

Conor gets his huge payday, added respect from the casual audience because (by whatever means) he made it into the late rounds, he didnt get beat up too much, and now bis star is bigger than ever and can cash out with a few more big paydays (if he even still wants to fight after this kind of money).

They worked this shit to perfection.

This is the correct take away from the fight

I believe McGregor was only guaranteed a 30 Million dollar pay out where Mayweather was guaranteed the 100 million

That was without any cut of PPV / Gate / Merch. Conor will make $100 and Floyd will make like $300

Tall4Life

Dumb in the sense of possibly thinking he could win in a cross-over sport like that. Getting paid does absolutely nothing to wind back the weeks of bullshit he has to eat now. They were always going to get paid.
Why would he hype a fight saying "aw shucks m8 i know i'm gonna lose big whatever ya know"

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I really think people are trying their best not to give Conor credit. He looked great for the first 4 rounds and while it became obvious by 5 that Floyd was trying to gas him, he still got some great punches in and went all the way to 10. I'm not saying that makes Conor the second greatest boxer ever but he did pretty good for his first ever fight against the best boxer of all time.

*sigh*

I don't like Mayweather as a person either dude, but c'mon.

Floyd toyed with Conor. Seriously. It was a sparring match for him. The fight was a textbook lesson that they teach JV boxers: PACE YOURSELF.

Conor went full retard out the gate. Floyd put his guard up, and let Conor tire himself out. He was struggling by the fourth round. By the fifth, Floyd just started to turn on the heat. He wasn't even BREATHING hard. By the tenth? Conor was struggling to even keep his gloves up.

And this is with the ref throwing Conor bones the entire damn match. By that 4th round hammerfist, he should have at least docked him points. By the 5th round rear mount, he should have been disqualified. He let them fight.

Conor should be congratulated for getting a payday that any other MMA fighter dreams of, being able to fight a fighter that many boxers would have dreamed of fighting.

But that wasn't a good fight. He stepped into Floyd's house, and lost accordingly.

Oh come on. You know they coming for that rematch money. This fight shouldn't have never happened, but it did. And it wasn't a total farce. So they are going to hype the unnecessary rematch.

There is not going to be a rematch. This was completely non-competitive. You can't sell this shit to people again. Same with a Paq rematch.

He was selling a fight that would increase his payday, I don't for one second believe Conor thought he was winning.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Something entertaining? I get the boxing snobs will scoff at this, but I'm sure a lot of people found it boring. It's as simple as that. Please save me the condescending lecture on boxing and how I don't know what I'm talking about.

This wasn't much of a boxing match. You want to watch a good fight, watch Canelo Vs GGG in a few weeks and that should have all the fireworks that this fight lacked.

hwy_61

Banned

He'll be fine. I bet fans on both sides will admire the attempt.

Draper

This is such a silly stance. Of course he was going to be cocky- it's the nature of competitiveness and raking in the crowds...

JettDash

If I was him, I would talk all kinds of BS to sell the fight and make maximum money and not even mean it.

Magilla

Banned
There is not going to be a rematch. This was completely non-competitive. You can't sell this shit to people again. Same with a Paq rematch.

I'm not disagreeing but I am. It wasn't going to be competitive to begin with, but they got that ppv money. Why would they think they cant get it again?

cordy

Banned
There's no rematch. Dudes said the same thing after that Pac fight and look at what happened. Those 2 dudes are gonna be partying it up LIKE FUCK tonight once they get this shit out of the way. They got everybody and now they're gonna not give a fuck and have fun.

Those 2 are probably the 2 least people in the world who give a fuck about the result. They're good.

Tubie

Conor is extremely lucky that the greatest of all time is a defensive maestro and not a knockout merchant. Even old and busted Pacquiao would've put Conor on his ass.

I said back in February that no one should expect anything from this but they'll eat it up anyway. The only good thing about this mess was the build-up and even that fell way short of my expectations.

RG0BS1U.gif

It's amazing how many of us predicted the Conor tiring himself out after the 3rd round thing. While we had to endure all the bullshit reasons Conor fans thought he would not gas himself in a 12 round boxing match lol.

zewone

What bullshit does he have to eat? From boxing fans and analysts?

He doesn't give a shit.

He'll go back to MMA smelling like roses. He's getting nothing but praise from the fans, fellow fighters and analysts.

I really think people are trying their best not to give Conor credit. He looked great for the first 4 rounds and while it became obvious by 5 that Floyd was trying to gas him, he still got some great punches in and went all the way to 10. I'm not saying that makes Conor the second greatest boxer ever but he did pretty good for his first ever fight against the best boxer of all time.

Don't bother responding to him he does this frequently. He turns everything into a race issue no matter what the context is. Floyd is an abusive racist? don't worry he doesn't care because he thinks the only reason people hate Floyd is for racial reasons.

I think you have a very loose definition of "great". Conor didn't do jack in the first few rounds. He was very active, and in boxing and combat sports in general, people often confuse activity for achievement. All of that activity accomplished nothing other than to tire him out faster.

Top Bottom