• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Draper

I clarified that he was dumb for thinking he could win, which he was. Did you miss that post? As dumb as Floyd would be if he went into an MMA ring, even with a big payout.

I saw that post...in fact I addressed that post. I can see you're taking the Conor approach to an altercation.

Aimlessly flounder about.

Acorn

I can't see him going back to UFC purses after this, Dana doesn't have anything he wants either.

UFC are down another draw. Brock, Bones, McGregor, Ronda all gone.

hwy_61

Banned
Didn't even sellout?
KuGsj.gif

Just stop, Brendan, for Christ's sake.

Conor dick rider from the beginning. Goddamn

Is anyone with a minimum of $30 mil for being the belle at the dance for 9 rounds before getting TKO'd, really a bum?

Winning for losing is for real.

Yes? He in no universe would ever be a top P4P fighter or ranked globally as a pure boxer.

This was a show, theater. He's a shit boxer at this level lol

Easy Money

I'm so glad McGregor got wrecked, I was getting screamed at all night whenever some over night fight expert would get excited when he landed some random punch....

However! When that shit was over you bet your mother fucking ass I lit that whole club up and blasted all the haters and almost got into a few different fight all the way home, shit talking all the overnight fight experts....

GAF... It was incredible, I was bathed in so much hate i loved it

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Floyd just made the biggest payday of his career to basically have a late night sparring match against the beefy dude from the Y that thinks he can fight

Conor McGregor is one of the best fighters in the world, not a random shmuck from the Y. Boxing and MMA are just very different combat sports and he was always gonna take an L here. Anyone who thought otherwise has a very poor understanding of how the respective sports work and probably also a poor understanding of how clinically sharp PBF's boxing game is, how good his defense and chin are, and what that meant for McGregor's realistic "puncher's chance" here as a 0-0 pro boxer crossing over from MMA.

Magilla

Banned
Why not? People paid because they didn't know what to expect. Will Conor kick him? Will he land a lucky shot? Will Floyd knock the amateur out? That is a valuable factor you seem completely oblivious to.

They bought in because they were rubes. And they could be rubes for the next fight. It's all a value proposition. Same as this fight and the "next".

A few of those contradict the developing narrative that Conor only lost because he was gassed, not because Floyd was toying with him from round one.

I mean, I don't think anyone who is serious about combat sports believes that Conor lost only because he was gassed or that Conor won the early rounds because he's some super-duper boxer.

It's pretty obvious that Floyd was being Floyd and spent the early rounds putting change in the meter. That's not quite the same as "toying" with Conor. I don't that's an accurate way to describe it. But there's no question in my mind that Conor was never ahead in any meaningful sense. (If I race against the 10000m world champion, and I spend the first 200m ahead of him because I'm sprinting, it's neither true that he's "toying" with me nor true that I'm actually beating him. Haha.)

The ticket prices prolly didn't help.

The ticket prices were also steadily dropping specifically because it wasn't selling out

Some tickets at the T-Mobile arena could be had for as little as $1,100, while seats closer to the action were being listed on secondary markets for less than they originally cost. A day before the fight, there were also hundreds of tickets left at the box office.

Jesse Lawrence of TicketIQ, a reseller and market analysis site, said promoters misjudged their market when they priced the arena from $2,500 in the upper sections to $10,000 at ringside. He said roughly 10 percent of the 20,000-seat arena remained for sale.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/mayweather-mcgregor-ticket-prices-dropping-49425958

besada

Banned
I saw that post...in fact I addressed that post. I can see you're taking the Conor approach to an altercation.

Aimlessly flounder about.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about the nature of the communication we've had and the wisdom of Connor McGregor.

Conor McGregor is one of the best fighters in the world, not a random shmuck from the Y. Boxing and MMA are just very different combat sports and he was always gonna take an L here. Anyone who thought otherwise has a very poor understanding of how the respective sports work and probably also a poor understanding of how clinically sharp PBF's boxing game is, how good his defense and chin are, and what that meant for McGregor's realistic "puncher's chance" here as a 0-0 pro boxer crossing over from MMA.

I am not saying he can't fight in general. It was an analogy to boxing specifically, because he can't fight as a boxer, at least not against the level of competition in one of the greatest to ever put on a pair of gloves.

The technical disparity as well as disparity in ability were so evident that was the first thing that came to mind.

Not sure if srs but Floyd used to be significantly more aggressive. He changed as a fighter because his hands are brittle as fuck, they break really easily, plus he was getting older. He's said so himself, the Gatti fight was his last hurrah fighting like that.

Bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I meant that Floyd didnt just fight with the interest of winning, he wanted to entertain.

I think the last time I saw him really sit down and throw some true hard shots was against Chop Chop Corley, which was before Gatti. I think even against Gatti, barring a few hard shots to the body, Floyd was throwing at 60% and just letting the sheer accumulation bust Gatti apart.

Anth0ny

What I wanted: a fookin conor win by KO in round tree

What I expected: same old shit from Floyd, boring ass fight with Floyd dominating the entire time (pacquiao fight hello), decision win for Mayweather

What I got: an even fight for 8 rounds, TKO victory for Floyd in the 10th

honestly I was entertained. it exceed my realistic expectations, even if my crazy dream scenario didn't come true. fun night out enjoying it with friends who aren't into combat sports. those first 4 rounds were crazy hype.

They bought in because they were rubes. And they could be rubes for the next fight. It's all a value proposition. Same as this fight and the "next".

You have to have some thing that is going to compel people. You can't just say "Well make them buy it again!". Why would they buy it again? HOw are you going to convince people to buy it again? You sound like the kind of person that thinks any video game that bombs just needed "marketing".

Forward

Yes, he is a bum ass boxer, no question. Straight trash.

Wordplay, my good sir. I would argue his match up was against his own fanbase. And he outboxed them all.

Bums... don't get stacks.

Dude is straight up Scrooge McDuckin' into his winnings, for life, after this farce.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Fight out of the high guard stance and let him tire out hitting gloves and elbows. Pretty smart gameplan and something none of us expected. Winky Wright and Joshua Clottey would be proud. Broner tried to use that stance against Mikey Garcia but he doesn't know what he's doing and poorly imitates Mayweather's fighting style including the shoulder roll.

I respectfully ask you to speak for yourself. Floyd pulled a Rocky and it was obvious from almost the first round. You need a lot of stamina for boxing matches, and with MMA, AFAIK? I see fights end quickly on a regular basis. Connor didn't have the stamina or the brains to understand what Floyd's gameplan was. Plain and simple.

He was hoping to brute force him into a K.O given all his talk up till the fight.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Conor should box again . I enjoyed this.

Again? He hasn't boxed yet. He had to repeatedly be reminded that he was supposed to be boxing this time.

Top Bottom