• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

hwy_61

Banned
What I wanted: a fookin conor win by KO in round tree

What I expected: same old shit from Floyd, boring ass fight with Floyd dominating the entire time (pacquiao fight hello), decision win for Mayweather

What I got: an even fight for 8 rounds, TKO victory for Floyd in the 10th

honestly I was entertained. it exceed my realistic expectations, even if my crazy dream scenario didn't come true. fun night out enjoying it with friends who aren't into combat sports. those first 4 rounds were crazy hype.

Even fight huh

zewone

But whole reason why this fight is a thing is because Mayweather is the most popular/ famous/ best boxer in the business, without him there is no fight.
You know that Conor is a bigger draw than Mayweather right?

Conor does 1+ million PPVs every time he fights.

Mayweathers "last fight" against Berto did 400k.

This is one of the very very few times in life there isn't really a major "loser" here. Twitter being very positive on both Floyd and Conor. They both made out of here really well and most everyone seemed to enjoy the fight.

Dopus

Banned

What I expected: same old shit from Floyd, boring ass fight with Floyd dominating the entire time (pacquiao fight hello), decision win for Mayweather

honestly I was entertained. it exceed my realistic expectations, even if my crazy dream scenario didn't come true. fun night out enjoying it with friends who aren't into combat sports. those first 4 rounds were crazy hype.

Even for 8 rounds?

Derwind

Strangest fight I ever saw, I'm impressed that McGregor tried to stay in the ring that many rounds, though as soon as they started icing the man and you could tell he was breathing heavier than before I knew the fight was done.

Mayweather just kept closing the distance & McGregor just kept backing off and falling back to his MMA training. Those illegal hammer shots to the back of the head and constantly positioning himself to the back of Mayweather, he was in scramble mode. Your not in the octagon, its a boxing match.

I'll give it to McGregor he was getting some good jabs & uppercuts in but his punches were too shallow. Only way McGregor was winning that match was a knockout, Mayweather just had the point advantage, all his punches were clean, precise and had far more force behind it.

For his first offical boxing match, he showed he could go a few rounds. But for all his trash talk, in the end Mayweather humbled him.

50-0 Baby!

Lol

Forward

You have to have some thing that is going to compel people. You can't just say "Well make them buy it again!". Why would they buy it again? HOw are you going to convince people to buy it again? You sound like the kind of person that thinks any video game that bombs just needed "marketing".

Yup. Lightning in a bottle.

lmao. Hot take sports/boxing fans in a nutshell.

"Rocky Marciano was a true champion! Always moved forward! None of this defensive crap!"

"How many of his fights have you actually watched?"

"None."

Marciano had t-rex arms, he pretty much had to always be moving forward to be in range.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That was an awesome, incredible fight and totally worth the $100 PPV. Anyone who expected a better show than that is insane.

Connor had way more aggression and drive than anyone could have reasonably anticipated. His fast jabs and reaction times were way better than pretty much the last ten MW Opponents, in a sport he doesn't play. Connor gave every fan exactly what they wanted in the start.

And yet, at the end of the day, it ended how we all expected it to end: MW with the win. MW is unquestionably the better boxer - and yeah, yeah, 40 years. But also 40 years of experience. Of practice. Of winning. MW losing would have been a monumental upset, so you can't be pissed at the result.

And on top of that, McG gave it his all to the very end. His stamina just isn't there. But he isn't trained for it and it's too late for him to change that now. He was fatigued but kept pushing as bet he could.

The ref called it right when he should have. At that point, there was no turning it around. A KO was inevitable; but a foolish decision when we can embrace a safe end.

Both fighters were very respectful in the end.

I loved watching it. Will probably be the most ENTERTAINING fight I'll ever get to watch for as long as I live. 10/10.

TraBuch

Banned
I bet Aaron Pryor would've knocked McGregor out in the first round. Which confirms to me that Aaron Pryor is better than Mayweather and is the best non-heavyweight ever.

Something entertaining? I get the boxing snobs will scoff at this, but I'm sure a lot of people found it boring. It's as simple as that. Please save me the condescending lecture on boxing and how I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm not a boxing snob or anything like that. I'm actually a casual fan just like you. I just didn't think the fight was boring.

Besides, it's not like it was over in... one punch.

Alright, I'll stop lol.

sirap

This is one of the very very few times in life there isn't really a major "loser" here. Twitter being very positive on both Floyd and Conor. They both made out of here really well and most everyone seemed to enjoy the fight.

It's just Gaf being Gaf. Gotta play the extremes.

nbraun80

But whole reason why this fight is a thing is because Mayweather is the most popular/ famous/ best boxer in the business, without him there is no fight.
Think the point is they are both currently the most popular in their respected sports, it's the combo of the two that made the big draw.

zewone

He never said his price. Which is going to be atleast 20 +million.
Dana white already said he would change the pay structure to match boxing purses for Conor to stay in the UFC.

He'll be fighting Diaz for the belt very soon. Maybe even December.

Heroman

Banned

Connor vs any other boxer isn't close to breaking the record and he isn't making anywhere near the money he making and ufc probably wouldn't even let him fight the fight since there is no money to be made.

That was an awesome, incredible fight and totally worth the $100 PPV. Anyone who expected a better show than that is insane.

Connor had way more aggression and drive than anyone could have reasonably anticipated. His fast jabs and reaction times were way better than pretty much the last ten MW Opponents, in a sport he doesn't play. Connor gave every fan exactly what they wanted in the start.

And yet, at the end of the day, it ended how we all expected it to end: MW with the win. MW is unquestionably the better boxer - and yeah, yeah, 40 years. But also 40 years of experience. Of practice. Of winning. MW losing would have been a monumental upset, so you can't be pissed at the result.

And on top of that, McG gave it his all to the very end. His stamina just isn't there. But he isn't trained for it and it's too late for him to change that now. He was fatigued but kept pushing as bet he could.

The ref called it right when he should have. At that point, there was no turning it around. A KO was inevitable; but a foolish decision when we can embrace a safe end.

Both fighters were very respectful in the end.

I loved watching it. Will probably be the most ENTERTAINING fight I'll ever get to watch for as long as I live. 10/10.

Sorry but highly likely there is a fight 10x better in just 3 weeks.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Ggg vs May would get him a lot of money. I think he comes back from retirement again for that. It's hard to leave that money on the table.

Syder

Andre Berto was a complete nobody. This is like saying Pacquiao isn't a draw because the Horn fight wasn't on PPV.

It takes TWO to make a PPV a box office smash.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Sorry but highly likely there is a fight 10x better in just 3 weeks.

That's why I put the focus on "entertaining." Lots of better fights to come; but a more clinical, precise match to me isn't necessarily more "fun."

zewone

Connor vs any other boxer isn't close to breaking the record and he isn't making anywhere near the money he making and ufc probably wouldn't even let him fight the fight since there is no money to be made.
It's not breaking the record, but Conor doing another boxing match would sell more PPVs than if Mayweather went for 51-0.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Conor should box again . I enjoyed this.

Problem is its not really good for boxing in the end.

Sure you get the people who are fans of McGregor wanting to see him fight - but you have two problems:

- You have to have another high ranked fighter in his class to draw in viewers
- Any high ranked fighter that you bring in is going to destroy Conor.

Conor is an MMA fighter, not a Boxer. He had a hard time going against his training to not grab, not hit in the back of the head, not elbow strike. And MMA rounds are shorter, because the amount of energy expelled is more. Boxing is not his world, and frankly, it's not fair to him, or other boxers for him to be trying to jump into that ring. He fought against a retired boxer and lost. That should be enough for the curiosity to come to an end.

Sentenza

Official scorecards:

Capture.0.png

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So we have Phelps Vs a Great White and then Conor Vs Floyd. What's next? Usain Bolt races a cheetah? Ninja Warrior with a human versus a Chimpanzee?

He already said he is fighting again.

Yeah boxing Paulie Malignaggi once he convinces him to come out of retirement. Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov would destroy Conor and he knows it so he is not going to fight again in the UFC unless the payday is so ridiculous he cannot turn it down.

Top Bottom