• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Ne0n

Banned
yeah, like I'd love if Connor wins, and maybe he gets lucky, but the odds are quite literally stacked up against him.

Floyd is a master at his craft, as stupid as he is, this is NOT mma., and as Syphon said he can take punches, seems he just has the face/head shape built for it, a big shiny head that just smash with a mallet and he'd be fine.

kinda like that car crash Graham guy, the body that could withstand a car crash

graham-body-survive-car-crash-road-safety-victorian-government-patricia-piccinini-14.jpg

kodecraft

i am going to be jumping around going nuts when conor lands dat left hand

This is the type of thinking that got the casual fans to buy this fight. Hoping for the left hand, what if it doesn't come all night? What if it comes and isn't effective?

Long night of boxing baby.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
i am going to be jumping around going nuts when conor lands dat left hand

giphy.gif

The best left handed boxer of the last 50 years landed on Floyd and Floyd was already moving away to deflect some of the impact.

Also, out of prime Pacquiao is faster and stronger than Conor and this was out of timing Floyd's jab, actually boxing at it's finest right here. Conor doesn't have the speed for that, reach? yes, speed and boxing acumen? No.

Whereas, I see Chad Mendes teeing off on Conor and his reach is 6 inches shorter than Floyd's

GargantuanFlakyBaldeagle.gif

In 49 fights, I've never seen anyone come at Floyd like that in any exchange and not catch some shit for their troubles.

So basically, Floyd knows what Conor is going to try to do, that gets taken away with the first two rounds so I hope Conor knows how to fight right handed, because that's what its going to be.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is to laughable to be even trolling, you clearly did not watch that fight.

This Paulie thing is just pathetic he better not be involved with the fight on Showtime.

Look at the gif, Conor punches, overextends himself and is caught up close by someone that has an 8 inch reach disadvantage. What else is there to make of the gif? I could care less about the fight, I'm looking at this from a holistic boxing perspective since only punches were thrown in this particular sequence.

I know Mendes is not faster than Floyd, nor does he hit harder than Floyd and does not possess the boxing skills like Floyd but yet and still, he landed because Conor was out of position. It wasn't because Mendes did something special, it was because Conor left himself out to dry. I've only ever seen one boxer be in correct position 99.9% of the time and it's Floyd. The most obvious 0.1% was when Shane caught him. However, that entire sequence was planned. This was a hall of fame boxer (Mosley) and a hall of fame trainer (Richardson) that devised that. However, the trainer knew what would come after that punch provided Floyd was still standing.

My impression of the fight ... Shane's going to come out and hit Floyd in the mouth and Floyd is going to sprout a tail, grow wings, draw fangs and claws and turn into a dragon in the ring... and start spitting fireballs"

This is a boxing match, Only the boxing aspects matter. However, within that gif, I can point out a few things that are incorrect to do in boxing from Conor and he's going to fight a boxing human cheat code on Saturday? Maybe that article from the NY Times about Conor's safety is correct after all.

Haunted

I'm going off Paulie's statement. He went 12 rounds with Conor apparently twice...and watching the All Access episodes you can see ref Joe Cortez telling Conor he wants to see him actually follow the rules this time....no rabbit punces and hitting behind the head. Connor was just like "yea...yea..yea".

Kavanagh being interviewed on the MMA Hour:
”And then his (Conor's) take on the fight, that he wasn't going to go in as a boxer, he was going to go in as a martial artist if you want to say, as a fighter, as a mixed martial artist, and be able to do sequences and techniques and attacks that are fully within the rules ... there's nothing within the rules to say we can't do the things we have in mind, so we're just going to go in and enjoy it as well."
I'm convinced we'll see Mayweather on the ground during the first two rounds, one way or the other. Whether it's a punch, a grab, a pushdown or an accidental trip, Conor 's camp 100% plans on getting Mayweather to the ground for the imagery and to fuck with him. It's going to be dirty as fuck.

Look at the gif, Conor punches, overextends himself and is caught up close by someone that has an 8 inch reach disadvantage. What else is there to make of the gif? I could care less about the fight, I'm looking at this from a holistic boxing perspective since only punches were thrown in this particular sequence.

I know Mendes is not faster than Floyd, nor does he hit harder than Floyd and does not possess the boxing skills like Floyd but yet and still, he landed because Conor was out of position. It wasn't because Mendes did something special, it was because Conor left himself out to dry. I've only ever seen one boxer be in correct position 99.9% of the time and it's Floyd. The most obvious 0.1% was when Shane caught him. However, that entire sequence was planned. This was a hall of fame boxer (Mosley) and a hall of fame trainer (Richardson) that devised that. However, the trainer knew what would come after that punch provided Floyd was still standing.

This is a boxing match, Only the boxing aspects matter. However, within that gif, I can point out a few things that are incorrect to do in boxing from Conor and he's going to fight a boxing human cheat code on Saturday? Maybe that article from the NY Times about Conor's safety is correct after all.
You're talking about a fight that was put together on about a week's notice. And he still picked apart Mendes eventually. Mendes and Diaz 1 are the most trouble he has had in fights, due to the short notice. A better comparison is how he has dealt with fighters he has had a proper camp of preparation for eg Aldo and Alvarez

weekev

Banned
You're talking about a fight that was put together on about a week's notice. And he still picked apart Mendes eventually. Mendes and Diaz 1 are the most trouble he has had in fights, due to the short notice. A better comparison is how he has dealt with fighters he has had a proper camp of preparation for eg Aldo and Alvarez
With all due respect to Aldo and Alvarez, they are not Floyd Mayweather. Conor has had a camp to prepare for this fight but he's fighting arguably the best boxer the world has ever seen....in his first competitive boxing match. Fair play to him for even making people think he has a chance. My prediction is Mayweather in 6 and a long illustrious Hollywood career of being typecast as the dodgy Irish fighter a la Brad Pitt in snatch for McGregor. So both guys win.

Mayweather Sr on first take

"Let me tell you this right here....Conor gone lose!"
"He will knock out McConor"
"McGregory"

Hes such a mess.

To be honest, I think Conor's lucky that he isn't squaring off against a prime Floyd. He himself and many agree that his last big "hurrah" was against Gatti, rest his soul. He knew at the time that his hands were getting worse and worse and started to drastically change his approach to boxing.

Well there's no disrespect. They aren't boxers, that's they key difference, both however are far better fighters than Mayweather.

LOL Some of ya'll keep putting too much merit into being a jack of all trades and a master of none, against somebody who's a master of one and that's the one Conor is fighting Mayweather at.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Mcgregory somewhere in a tub trying to lose that weight...smh

https://youtu.be/-hANQdqqFB8?t=3m13s

Watched a few seasons of Ultimate Fighter (skipped through the drama stuff they create and just watched the fights and training parts). The saltwater bath to dehydrate you to make weight is difficult to watch. They don't eat for a day or two and then they can't drink water. Run them out to get their weight, then they get food in them.

7 hours to go until the weigh in. If he's doing a saltwater bath right now he's in trouble. He should've been 5 lbs under a week ago with a very strict dieting regimen. I tihnk the "10 lbs over" rumor was started to fuck with McGregor.

It doesn't even matter if he doesn't make weight to be honest. They'll fight for that paper.

Mayweather said that shit and said he wanted a fine for Connor if he doesn't make weight and that they will still fight. But I think for Connor he's ready.

HF2014

Predicting this : At the middle of the 7th round, glass sounds will shatter, Stone Cold Steve Austin will run to the ring, make both fighters speechless, stunner them, and make double fingers to both associations and it will be a draw.

No, no it wasn't, turned it off after he ducked the rebuttal about 8oz gloves and went into an idiotic spiel about Irish Celtic warriors.

Don't listen to this guy. One of the best interviews I've seen.

Fucking haters and trolls man. Relentless...even on Chris Eubanks lol

Anth0ny

LOL Some of ya'll keep putting too much merit into being a jack of all trades and a master of none, against somebody who's a master of one and that's the one Conor is fighting Mayweather at.

Conor is a master of all trades fighting against a former master of one who is now an old out of shape man

Conor is a master of all trades fighting against a former master of one who is now an old out of shape man

He's not a master of all trades, it's amazing how some of ya'll are incapable of assessing talent and relativity. Relatively speaking, the talent pool at the highest level Mayweather was fighting in and his opponents is way above the talent pool at the highest level McGregor is fighting at and his opponents. Even individually, on an athletic and skill level, relatively speaking, Mayweather is at a much higher level than McGregor.

You're getting fooled because they're in two different sports but aren't looking at the differences and depths of each sport and the differences in talent in those divisions Mayweather and McGregor were competing at or what each one possesses.

jett

D-Member
What exactly do fighters eat after the weigh-in to get back all that weight without feeling like shit afterwards?

Top Bottom