• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/15 |OT14| The one where Europa&Champions League are sensationally back

Status
Not open for further replies.
mad DJ skills too

tumblr_n2c4gtDqVb1qc8wb5o6_400.gif

Pjanic at the disco.

Goodnight.

I think he signed an extension last season or at the beginning of this season till 2018, but that never really meant anything when it comes to Roma.

He scores and assists all the same, he's an unbelievable CM and very Cesc Fabregas, I rate him SO highly. 50 million though? I'm not sure anyone is worth that much, unless he's a striker who guarantees 30 goals, but he's only 24! A FETUS! And well, if Herrera is worth 36 million then by all means, pay 50 for Pjanic.

edit: what Zabo said too!

Herrera: 13 games, 4 goals and 3 assists

Pjanic: 27 games, 3 goals and 5 assists

i2jh80atGPQWU.png

Also Kompany vs Chelsea a few weeks ago. Didn't stretch his feet in fear to score an OG, and Remy scored.

Also,

Pkgljzr.gif

Eugh

Genuinely the first time I thought it would happen. It felt like destiny. It felt like we were riding an unstoppable train. Then The Great Slip of 2014 happened, and we fell apart spectacularly. What a time.

Seriously feels like the hangover from that has been killing us until B-Rod changed our formation.

Zabojnik

i2jh80atGPQWU.png

That's in PL though, where I heard everybody runs like crazy. You just pass the ball forward in the general direction of your strikers, someone's gonna make that run. In Serie A it's much more complicated, you have to yell at people to make them move.

Fintan

Eugh

Genuinely the first time I thought it would happen. It felt like destiny. It felt like we were riding an unstoppable train. Then The Great Slip of 2014 happened, and we fell apart spectacularly. What a time.

Seriously feels like the hangover from that has been killing us until B-Rod changed our formation.
Do you think you're more likely to finish 4th or win the Europa League? Which will Liverpool prioritise?

RaGe_pt

Champions league is back! So exciting. We are going to have a hard game but hopefully we get out of Switzerland with a win or a draw. Brahimi is going to score today.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

i2jh80atGPQWU.png

a goal on Yeovil, Preston, Cambridge U....your boy is crap yo. And that's precisely why Pjanic starts more

When Pjanic is on the pitch you can feel his energetic aura on the attacking half.

Do you think you're more likely to finish 4th or win the Europa League? Which will Liverpool prioritise?

Really don't have a clue.

We're good enough to win the EL undoubtedly. We're close enough to finish top 4 as well. Think we'll just have to take each game as it comes, and see who's most fit to play.

Prioritise EL, get knocked out and finish 7th. Terrible.
Prioritise league, finish 5th and get knocked out. Not good enough.
Prioritise neither, team gets exhausted, finish 7th and get knocked out. Horrendous.

Whatever we do has scope to go horribly wrong if we put all the eggs in one basket, or if we put them in neither. Potentially 3 more FA Cup games to fit in as well, and we're way too far into that to put out any kind of weakened team imo.

Fuck it. Balls out for all 3. This is why we bought those players in the summer, to help when the games start coming thick and fast, and players start getting tired. Whether the likes of Enrique, Johnson, Lovren, Lambert are good enough is another question (they're not), but we'll just have to trust them to not fuck things up for us when needed.

Doesn't matter anyway unless Sturridge can stay fit somehow, our entire season is pretty much reliant on him being available and in form, and that's been true throughout his absence as well. Need Lucas back sharpish as well. I worry badly about our next 2 league fixtures without him. Allen's been okay the last 2 matches, but Southampton and City are a different proposition in midfield.

Fintan

Really don't have a clue.

We're good enough to win the EL undoubtedly. We're close enough to finish top 4 as well. Think we'll just have to take each game as it comes, and see who's most fit to play.

Prioritise EL, get knocked out and finish 7th. Terrible.
Prioritise league, finish 5th and get knocked out. Not good enough.
Prioritise neither, team gets exhausted, finish 7th and get knocked out. Horrendous.

Whatever we do has scope to go horribly wrong if we put all the eggs in one basket, or if we put them in neither. Potentially 3 more FA Cup games to fit in as well, and we're way too far into that to put out any kind of weakened team imo.

Fuck it. Balls out for all 3. This is why we bought those players in the summer, to help when the games start coming thick and fast, and players start getting tired. Whether the likes of Enrique, Johnson, Lovren, Lambert are good enough is another question (they're not), but we'll just have to trust them to not fuck things up for us when needed.

Doesn't matter anyway unless Sturridge can stay fit somehow, our entire season is pretty much reliant on him being available and in form, and that's been true throughout his absence as well. Need Lucas back sharpish as well. I worry badly about our next 2 league fixtures without him. Allen's been okay the last 2 matches, but Southampton and City are a different proposition in midfield.
It's definitely an interesting situation,would feel very risky banking on a knockout competition. Worked for us in 2012 though. Completely different from Everton. They may as well go all out for EL, but maybe they're still slightly worried about relegation.

King_Moc

Banned
Hmm. Sounds like a big risk.

Fuck it. A fair amount of the depth has been bought already, lets spend that PL money on a massive gun for the battleship.

still need a keeper, centreback, leftback, DM and 2 strikers. That would be 7 players. Too many probably, even though only 2 or 3 of them would probably go straight into the first 11 including Pjanic

You reckon we still need a keeper? I think Migs might be alright now. Definitely need a DM and at least one striker though.

Watch Brendan buy an attacking midfielder.

CCS

Banned
You reckon we still need a keeper? I think Migs might be alright now. Definitely need a DM and at least one striker though.

Watch Brendan buy an attacking midfielder.

I reckon you do, even if it's only as a backup. If Mig gets injured or something I have no faith whatsoever in Jones.

You reckon we still need a keeper? I think Migs might be alright now.

I'm more than happy to keep Mig if he carries on like this. We definitely need someone better than Jones to take over if Mignolet's form dips again, or he gets injured.

edit: Fuck you CCS, you stole my post

King_Moc

Banned
I reckon you do, even if it's only as a backup. If Mig gets injured or something I have no faith whatsoever in Jones.

I'm more than happy to keep Mig if he carries on like this. We definitely need someone better than Jones to take over if Mignolet's form dips again, or he gets injured.

edit: Fuck you CCS, you stole my post

Right, I agree with that. But when I think of reserve keepers, I think of tiny transfer fees and wages, so I don't think it affects the rest of the transfers or anything.

CCS

Banned
Right, I agree with that. But when I think of reserve keepers, I think of tiny transfer fees and wages, so I don't think it affects the rest of the transfers or anything.

Yeah that's a fair point. I wonder how much Rodgers is likely to have available to spend in the summer.

Yeah, should be easy enough to replace Jones without any protracted contract talks and shit like that. Gets more complicated if we look to bring in someone new for the first 11.

Can't decide if I want us to go for Song. Definitely want us to if Lucas leaves.

Yeah, should be easy enough to replace Jones without any protracted contract talks and shit like that. Gets more complicated if we look to bring in someone new for the first 11.

Can't decide if I want us to go for Song. Definitely want us to if Lucas leaves.
Song is terrible defensively so if you want him to defend...no.

3Sixty

Song is fucking shite.

Don't get the hype what so ever. Absolute liability

Yeah that's a fair point. I wonder how much Rodgers is likely to have available to spend in the summer.

That's the golden question innit. I was sure we'd spend significantly in January, but nothing happened.

A lot of it must come down to how much FSG trust Rodgers and the committee to spend wisely. Hopefully the Ascension of Emre (and Markovic, Lallana, Moreno, and belatedly Sakho and Mignolet) will give him some credit there.

Whatever happens, we can't shake up the squad so much again, as we already saw like 2 months ago how badly it can effect the team as you try and fit 4+ new signings into the team at once.

Would rather just blow it all on a Pjanic buy :p

Song has been fine defensively overall for West Ham imo (didn't rate it at Arsenal), but I could easily see him becoming shite in that department again.

Rikkun

That's the golden question innit. I was sure we'd spend significantly in January, but nothing happened.

A lot of it must come down to how much FSG trust Rodgers and the committee to spend wisely. Hopefully the Ascension of Emre (and Markovic, Lallana, Moreno, and belatedly Sakho and Mignolet) will give him some credit there.

Whatever happens, we can't shake up the squad so much again, as we already saw like 2 months ago how badly it can effect the team as you try and fit 4+ new signings into the team at once.

Song has been fine defensively overall for West Ham imo (didn't rate it at Arsenal), but I could easily see him becoming shite in that department again.

U forgot about Balotelli there

L1NETT

Song is fucking shite.

Don't get the hype what so ever. Absolute liability

Aye

when he was linked to United in summer (probably teenagers posing at ITKunts in fairness) always baffled me

nae disrespect to West Ham but that is his level.

Bloke doesn't have any positional discipline whatsoever

CCS

Banned

To be honest I think Liverpool have most of the makings of a strong team at the moment. They just need a couple more players in the middle, and cover for Strurridge for the half of the season when he's crocked and you'll be looking pretty good.

No chance. He has good games, sure. But then did you see him against us? We were awful and he made at least 5/6 simple errors letting our players through. He think he's better than he is which is always costing him and eventually ends up costing his team.

Wilbur

Banned

He was fucking terrible against us. Positionally, playing risky passes in dangerous positions that didn't come off very often, offered no support whatsoever defensively.

U forgot about Balotelli there

Given up on Lambert, Balotelli and Lovren are on the edge. The pair of them have enough ability imo to be successes at Liverpool, but they'll be lucky if we don't cash in on them before they show it.

Attracting good bids for them will be difficult though if we want to sell them. Remember when SerieA was a yardstick for good strikers? If you could make it there, you could make it anywhere.

137191.jpg

YW7mTdb.gif

King_Moc

Banned

Surely that role has Can's name all over it? He'd be perfect. Should be Lucas in there for now, with Can as a kind of utility midfielder/defender in the meantime.

No chance. He has good games, sure. But then did you see him against us? We were awful and he made at least 5/6 simple errors letting our players through. He think he's better than he is which is always costing him and eventually ends up costing his team.

Hmm. He had a weird one against us as well. Was positionally fine, made a few nice interceptions and tackles, but made 3 or 4 incredibly sloppy passes that the likes of Mascherano, Lucas, Fernandinho and Matic just don't make

(I'm not suggesting that Lucas belongs in that company necessarily, but he keeps it similarly simple and safe when passing close to our own third)

noal

Banned

Maybe Liverpool are in the same situation as United whereas they are waiting until summer as they are after a higher class of player that are much easier to pull off then.

You don't need wholesale changes do you? You seem to have a good core of players to build on.

Fuck's sake, I keep forgetting that Can is suited for that role. If we can get a good centreback to replace him (Lovren, ideally ¬¬), he could be a boss DM. He's a box to box centreback, ffs :p

CCS

Banned
Fuck's sake, I keep forgetting that Can is suited for that role. If we can get a good centreback to replace him (Lovren, ideally ¬¬), he could be a boss DM. He's a box to box centreback, ffs :p

I hope Lovren improves, but looking at his history it seems more likely he had a fluke good season last year due to the team around him.

Wilbur

Banned
Hmm. He had a weird one against us as well. Was positionally fine, made a few nice interceptions and tackles, but made 3 or 4 incredibly sloppy passes that the likes of Mascherano, Lucas, Fernandinho and Matic just don't make

(I'm not suggesting that Lucas belongs in that company necessarily, but he keeps it similarly simple and safe when passing close to our own third)

Fernandinho's been pretty sloppy too recently.

Maybe Liverpool are in the same situation as United whereas they are waiting until summer as they are after a higher class of player that are much easier to pull off then.

You don't need wholesale changes do you? You seem to have a good core of players to build on.

Not in the first 11, no. Especially if we plan to use 3-4-2-1 indefinitely (B-Rod's favourite word)

Not happy with Enrique being second choice leftback, Lovren/Johnson/Toure being second choice CB (which also prevents Can being played at DM), Jones being second choice keeper.

The biggest problem is obviously up front. With Sturridge's injury problems, its vital that someone can step up, and they just can't. Sterling does an admirable job replacing his style of play to an extent, but he doesn't have the ruthlessness we need from our lone striker.

We have a lot players though who I am happy to have in the team any week, especially in this formation and form. Its a slow process though, trying to fill the squad with those players and getting rid of the Borinis. Especially when they refuse to fucking leave ¬¬

Wilbur

Banned
If Liverpool are to persist with their formation, then

Mig
Can/CB - Skrtel - Sakho
Ibe/Markovic - Henderson - Can/Lucas - Moreno
Coutinho/Lallana - Sterling
Sturridge

is a good team, make no mistake. I think they'd certainly need a fantastic centre back (because Sakho isn't yet, and I don't think Skrtel is either), and arguably a keeper, but besides from that it's a really balanced, strong first team with a few good alternatives too. Don't think they need as much work as you think, Hitch.

First choice CB, second choice CF (assuming Balo isn't resuscitated), better CM cover than Allen.

If Liverpool are to persist with their formation, then

Mig
Can/CB - Skrtel - Sakho
Ibe/Markovic - Henderson - Can/Lucas - Moreno
Coutinho/Lallana - Sterling
Sturridge

is a good team, make no mistake. I think they'd certainly need a fantastic centre back (because Sakho isn't yet, and I don't think Skrtel is either), and arguably a keeper, but besides from that it's a really balanced, strong first team with a few good alternatives too. Don't think they need as much work as you think, Hitch.

First choice CB, second choice CF (assuming Balo isn't resuscitated), better CM cover than Allen.

Borini needs to be bombed out but he clings on.

tumblr_ldhy6gn74F1qa0krjo1_400.gif

As I said, I'm quite happy with the first 11. Ibe and Lallana are the only squad players who I have no reservations about though

Not sure what's going on with Origi and Ilori, maybe one of them can have a good impact next season.

Wilbur

Banned
Borini needs to be bombed out but he clings on.

tumblr_ldhy6gn74F1qa0krjo1_400.gif

As I said, I'm quite happy with the first 11. Ibe and Lallana are the only squad players who I have no reservations about though

Not sure what's going on with Origi and Ilori, maybe one of them can have a good impact next season.

Forgot about both of them. Luckily (unluckily for everyone who hates your fucking club), you'll be avoiding the departure of someone so key to your play and you probably won't be buying three hundred players again.

Think you give Kolo a bit of an unfair rap; as a reserve centre back I haven't seen him do much wrong in a Pool shirt. Wisdom to come back and all.

KidJr

Yeah look as someone who wished Song left us long before he did, I can tell you Hitcher you dont want him in your team week in week out, as a back option yeah he's good but he's not a consistent performer at the top level. Thing is I dont even think it's lack of ability, it's pure concentration with that guy.

Cavani is so good isnt it he, think someone said yday truly one of the worst things him being played out wide. I think Lewa is better than Cavani (wouldnt blame anyone for thinking different though). As much as I applaud Giroud for his improvement for Arsenal to really transcend we still need an upgrade, I hope Wenger realizes this.

@Blaburn your posts last night were sensational lol, but you seem like you get football so why so upset? You'll take the at the Allianz no problem and Pep wont be so stupid when you get a team of stature.

Forgot about both of them. Luckily (unluckily for everyone who hates your fucking club), you'll be avoiding the departure of someone so key to your play and you probably won't be buying three hundred players again.

Think you give Kolo a bit of an unfair rap; as a reserve centre back I haven't seen him do much wrong in a Pool shirt. Wisdom to come back and all.

Forgot about Widsom. Wouldn't be surprised if we send Ilori out again and take Wisdom back for CB depth

Sterling could leave if he's a cunt :p

I'm fine with Toure replacing Skrtel or Sakho for the odd game but Can is the one we're looking to remove from CB, and that probably won't happen til we get a centreback who's better on the ball than Toure/Lovren, and not as likely to do something fucking stupid like Johnson is.

I'd hate for the Gallagher brothers to be icons of my club to the extent they are for City. Watching this PL Years thing on Sky, camera lingers on Liam for like 10 seconds. He has fuck all to do with football. Would rather see that cunt Mike Summerbee's reaction :p

Is it bellendish or human nature to abide by Suarez after the racism charge, when I'd have wanted him out if he was merely a decent player like Lallana or someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom