• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/15 |OT14| The one where Europa&Champions League are sensationally back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's the fat guy

Ronaldo

Christian Vieri

3sixty or hixx laughed when I said teams can't defend today. I'm not sure if the attacking has become priority or if the strikers have become much better.

How many strikers in recent years have got 30+ goals in 1 season. RVP, Suarez, Messi, Zlatan, Ronaldo, Cavani, Eto'o, Falcao, Costa, Aguero, Torres, Milito, Villa, Forlan, Luca Toni, Mario Gomez, Lewandowski, Benzema, Dzeko, ROONEY, Drogba etc all have. Neymar is 6 away from doing it this season too. Di Natale has probably done so as well though I am not sure.

That is a huge list of strikers. 30+ used to be a huge achievement. Just doesn't feel that way anymore. I dunno, maybe strikers always scored that much but I don't remember it that way.

We have to pray Bartra fixes this.

edit
Forgot to mention that, not only do some of these strikers beat 30, Messi for example has more than doubled that. Scored 73 in one of the seasons, forgot which.

Seventy-three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h04NIUnsEjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3wVll733M

This is a two part video with Gullit and Vieri, they talk about how it was almost impossible to score 4 against 11 vs the Milan greats in training unless you got lucky with a shot from distance. Bobo says that Gullit and Van Basten would have 70 goals if they played today lol

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah look as someone who wished Song left us long before he did, I can tell you Hitcher you dont want him in your team week in week out, as a back option yeah he's good but he's not a consistent performer at the top level. Thing is I dont even think it's lack of ability, it's pure concentration with that guy.

Cavani is so good isnt it he, think someone said yday truly one of the worst things him being played out wide. I think Lewa is better than Cavani (wouldnt blame anyone for thinking different though). As much as I applaud Giroud for his improvement for Arsenal to really transcend we still need an upgrade, I hope Wenger realizes this.

@Blaburn your posts last night were sensational lol, but you seem like you get football so why so upset? You'll take the at the Allianz no problem and Pep wont be so stupid when you get a team of stature.

Yeah, it was me; honestly Cavani would be main man at any club that doesn't have Messi, Ronaldo or Ibra, and at least with the former two he'd play up front.

Blablurn

@Blaburn your posts last night were sensational lol, but you seem like you get football so why so upset? You'll take the at the Allianz no problem and Pep wont be so stupid when you get a team of stature.

Not sure if I get football but what Pep is doing this year is pretty strange. And Donezk is strong on counters. One goal in Munich and we have a problem. They are not like Hamburg. I'm just very cautious about this year.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Given up on Lambert, Balotelli and Lovren are on the edge. The pair of them have enough ability imo to be successes at Liverpool, but they'll be lucky if we don't cash in on them before they show it.

Attracting good bids for them will be difficult though if we want to sell them. Remember when SerieA was a yardstick for good strikers? If you could make it there, you could make it anywhere.

137191.jpg

YW7mTdb.gif

hard to juggle two careers m8

448cea1886be1f2a75e3019ff2c55714f205bae2.jpg

Yen

"@OptaJoe: 4 - Only four of the 22 Premier League defeats Liverpool have suffered under Brendan Rodgers have come after December. Stamina."

Key is Rodgers' periodisation, according to that coach who posts on RAWK.

United vs Arsenal in the FA Cup 6th Round will be played on Monday night now - these TV companies are taking the piss.

Bradford vs Reading will be free to air on BT Sport, good move.

L1NETT

Early saturday

will take it

Glad we ain't got it on a fucking MONDAY

Jesus TV execs sort it out

Nice touch that ours is free to air. Everyone can witness the greatest cup run since.....well ours in 2012/13 :p

KidJr

Yeah, it was me; honestly Cavani would be main man at any club that doesn't have Messi, Ronaldo or Ibra, and at least with the former two he'd play up front.

Yeah totally agree. And his conversation rate was pretty good in Serie A if I remember correctly.

Not sure if I get football but what Pep is doing this year is pretty strange. And Donezk is strong on counters. One goal in Munich and we have a problem. They are not like Hamburg. I'm just very cautious about this year.

I guess I havent seen make some ridiclous statements that pop up from time to time.

I dont know why Pep decided to adopt one of the weirdest formations I've seen since Mike Bassets Christmas tree however what I do know is that Pep knows better than most managers, how to create spaces between banks of four. You'll be fine and still one of the favs with Chelsea RM and Barca imo.

Also Verratti, Matuidi, Lavezzi what players. For me Chelsea were bad yesterday though, I know they were away from home and I think first half they were ok, they looked after the ball well enough but second half they were anonymous, they cant afford to have another game like that because towards the end PSG really were starting to carve them open for fun. Chelsea defended pretty well (despite the Cahill marking). I expect roles reversed at the Bridge and I still expect Chelsea to go through.

I like Willian, I really do, but I'm not sure he offers enough tbh.

Yeah totally agree. And his conversation rate was pretty good in Serie A if I remember correctly.

I guess I havent seen make some ridiclous statements that pop up from time to time.

I dont know why Pep decided to adopt one of the weirdest formations I've seen since Mike Bassets Christmas tree however what I do know is that Pep knows better than most managers, how to create spaces between banks of four. You'll be fine and still one of the favs with Chelsea RM and Barca imo.

Also Verratti, Matuidi, Lavezzi what players. For me Chelsea were bad yesterday though, I know they were away from home and I think first half they were ok, they looked after the ball well enough but second half they were anonymous, they cant afford to have another game like that because towards the end PSG really were starting to carve them open for fun. Chelsea defended pretty well (despite the Cahill marking). I expect roles reversed at the Bridge and I still expect Chelsea to go through.

I like Willian, I really do, but I'm not sure he offers enough tbh.

How was he?

I fell asleep before the game started. I wanted to watch for him

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
even Pep was infected by Conte's back three AIDS

Edit: he was absolutely incredible Shanks :( fucking bamboozled Costa quite a few times too

Wilbur

Banned
Really good article on the Guardian concerning the history of Italian football immigrants - http://www.theguardian.com/football...lemma-racism-foreign-players?CMP=share_btn_tw

I'm not entirely sure on how I feel about it all. Do I think Balotelli qualifies as Italian? Yes. Do I think Mo Farah qualifies as British. Yes. They were youths when they moved, they've been brought up in the school system and with the culture.

Do I think the likes of Camoranesi or Kevin Pietersen should be able to represent countries that they don't really have any link to throughout formative years? I don't think so. Same with Arteta and Almunia, when that was bandied about.

I don't believe there's such a thing as English or Irish or Italian blood; for instance, my father's Irish but he doesn't bring us up in any way that includes Irish culture. I consider myself completely English, despite the fact I could play for Ireland at a sport. It's different when you have, say, Asian or African parents who give you food from the culture and you wear the clothes and grow up with the religion, but I never did do that with any of my dad's Irish stuff.

L1NETT

ok so maybe chelsea fans are in fact racists

ban the filth from europe

TrueBlue's post in the OT thread is the best on this

Sadly there is a awful lineage in a certain section of chelsea support. Yes other clubs have vile homophobic/racist/sexist vermin among them but the National Front links at Chelsea were dreadfully strong.

Think in 2015 that lineage would have stopped coming but awful to see it linger.

Just shows how far English football needs to mature on so many social issues.

Awful really.

Razor554

Verratti is so fucking good.

Barça should totally go for him in 2016. Thing is that PSG is not a selling club so it would be very hard to sign him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think we could rock a solid 3-5-2

Weidenfeller
Subotic-Hummels-Sokratis
Piszczek-Gündogan-Sahin-Kampl
Kagawa
Auba-Reus

You can't rock a solid ANYTHING, Milch. You will sink like a solid rock tho harhar.

I'm bringing the bantz early

TrueBlue's post in the OT thread is the best on this

Sadly there is a awful lineage in a certain section of chelsea support. Yes other clubs have vile homophobic/racist/sexist vermin among them but the National Front links at Chelsea were dreadfully strong.

Think in 2015 that lineage would have stopped coming but awful to see it linger.

Just shows how far English football needs to mature on so many social issues.

Awful really.
and it's fucking hilarious considering how influential those players were in 'creating' their history. Drogba, Hasselbaink, Ashley, Makelele, Essien etc..

Wilbur

Banned
PSG are even more jokes than City. Buy a club in a far weaker league so you can completely monopolise it, and still flop.

Rikkun

PSG are even more jokes than City. Buy a club in a far weaker league so you can completely monopolise it, and still flop.

They're gonna fall so hard when Ibra retires.

The only thing that they can do is buy Pogba + top class forward, someone like Ronaldo or... probably no one else right now.

Phlebas

Banned
Ronaldo

Christian Vieri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h04NIUnsEjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3wVll733M

This is a two part video with Gullit and Vieri, they talk about how it was almost impossible to score 4 against 11 vs the Milan greats in training unless you got lucky with a shot from distance. Bobo says that Gullit and Van Basten would have 70 goals if they played today lol

Nice videos.

That mug Ray Hudson still manages to wank off Barcelona

KidJr

Problem is there just isnt enough world class players around anymore and the ones that are cost an preposterous amount of money. Its not like the 90's, early 00's however I do feel we could be returning to those days as there is alot of young talent coming up.

Spanish footGAF who has a higher ceiling baring injuries aside Thiago or Isco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom