• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikkun

MGS is goat when you're 12. Incredible

Serie A / Italy / tv footygaf I've heard good things about the Gomorra tv series. Worth a watch?

Probably.

I didn't care, not my cup of tea, but (obviously) everybody here talked about it.

The prduction value should be good (on par with UK shows I guess since it's produced by Sky Italia)

And now LVG is flattered in comparison because the rest of the league is shit.

Moyes would have been in his element this season.

Moyes wasn't sacked in February. Try comparing their records in April. With Moyes, United got worse in the 2nd half of the season.

There's a lot of things that LVG has done that have frustrated me. He has been far from perfect. I'll wait to see how United improve in the coming months. With Moyes I saw no reason why he should be trusted to steady the ship. That's all there is to it.

Wilbur

Banned
Isn't it a #fact the United under Van Gaal has played the most (if not one of the most) long balls this season?

Don't really care if it is true to be honest, I'm not the type that finds the long ball inherently bad.

I also think we're third in overall passing stats, so it's a bit of a misnomer.

I can't hate Liverpool.

They gave me one of the most fun days in my school days.

dudek1.jpg

I can't even state how I laughed at this in 2005.
I don't dislike Liverpool at all, and largely for the same reason. I've had a special place in my heart for Gerrard ever since that day. I'd take him as a broken, crippled, slipping dotard at Napoli when he's had enough of America.

Wilbur

Banned
Moyes wasn't sacked in February. Try comparing their records in April. With Moyes, United got worse in the 2nd half of the season.

There's a lot of things that LVG has done that have frustrated me. He has been far from perfect. I'll wait to see how United improve in the coming months. With Moyes I saw no reason why he should be trusted to steady the ship. That's all there is to it.

Said this in Whatsapp last night, LVG has lost me a fair amount since Aug, but I still feel far more secure than with Moyseh. Simple as that really. Given the choice between the two, LVG any day.

Bold One

He was something everyone could point to and say "there's the problem" but the real problem was the players and the burning mess Fergie left.

I think Moyes has been vindicated by the start LVG has had. LVG got to spend £150m+ to fix that mess and has only done marginally better.

Would you trust Moyes with 150 million? I like him just fine, and in fact most United fans badly wanted him to do well, so much in fact we refused to see the signs. Under Moyes there wasn't really any sings that things would get better.

he didn't really build a machine. he kept an old rickety machine running with glue, cellotape and sawdust, makeshift solutions applied with such experience and mastery of the mechanics to keep it running very well. then handed it to someone else who inevitably had it break and fall to pieces.

it didn't really help that he bought a bunch of expensive new parts that were broken or shit or when he had the perfect part for the main problem with the machine, he decided he liked his old broken down parts too much so just threw it away.

All the more impressive if you ask me

KidJr

Ancelotti is a great manager. Moyes is awful and I can't even believe people think of him as good. Ancelotti also benefits from having the richest squad in the world.

I am enjoying the Moyes experiment in Spain. I actually like Everton. Especially since Moyes is gone since they don't just play hoof ball.

Moyes, for some reason, was loved by the press like Redknapp. Can you believe a man that won a single honor in 32 years of managing was considered for the England job? Me neither, but the English press were sure up for it.

I only wish Moyes was given more time at Man United. He just needed more time. lol.

This is shocking

Empty

Ancelotti is a great manager. Moyes is awful and I can't even believe people think of him as good. Ancelotti also benefits from having the richest squad in the world.

I am enjoying the Moyes experiment in Spain. I actually like Everton. Especially since Moyes is gone since they don't just play hoof ball.

Moyes, for some reason, was loved by the press like Redknapp. Can you believe a man that won a single honor in 32 years of managing was considered for the England job? Me neither, but the English press were sure up for it.

I only wish Moyes was given more time at Man United. He just needed more time. lol.

moyes is liked by the british press because he was one of the best managers in england for like ten years. not the best or the second best, but one of the best.

which is still really quite good. like talking about him being a midtable manager is interesting in the context of whether he should be manager of a club that wants to be top three in the world. but in the context of whether he's good at his job, he's absolutely the best midtable manager out there. there's a lot of managers in england, people like redknapp, pulis, pardew, allardyce, hodgson etc never were as good as him over that period. if it's so fucking easy just to grind and hoof then why was his everton so much better than the other midtable teams. why can't they repeat what he did consistently over that period.

All the more impressive if you ask me

yeah. it was crazy. the way he had the team that just lost to city playing was amazing. what a bad team that was. no rvp just valencia crossing to rooney, young cutting inside and old man scholes pinging passes after cleverly and anderson storming teams broke down.

i just don't like the narrative that 'moyes inherited a title winning team'. i don't consider it a fair reflection of what he had to use.

Salvadora

Don't really care if it is true to be honest, I'm not the type that finds the long ball inherently bad.

I also think we're third in overall passing stats, so it's a bit of a misnomer.
Well, not really.

You're third in overall passing and much has been made about it (on here, at least) about how negative it's been. Long balls are not inherently bad, you're right, but the stats build a picture of a manager who's playing poor, hoofball football.

Compare that with Moyes who had history rewrote post-Everton to that effect as you very well pointed out

81 - Man Utd have made more crosses in a single game than any other Premier League side since the beginning of 2006/07. Bombardment. — OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 9, 2014

Hoof it down the wing, and then hoof it in the box 81 or 82 times. Draw against the bottom of the table. Football genius David Moyes.

Said this in Whatsapp last night, LVG has lost me a fair amount since Aug, but I still feel far more secure than with Moyseh. Simple as that really. Given the choice between the two, LVG any day.

People forget that it wasn't just the points/position in the table that made us lose faith. It was the lack of improvement on the pitch, bad man management, no history at winning things, and rumors of his bad training that wouldn't get the best from technical players. He simply could not be trusted to lead United in the future.

LVG has history of working at a big club and winning trophies. It sucks that Moyes doesn't have that to fall back on, but that's part of a manager's credentials. LVG's training sessions have the players working on the ball more than Moyes did which also makes me trust him more. He's a better personality to deal with big egos as well.

LVG has to show us that United will improve under him.The above leads me to believe he can, but it's obviously not a guarantee. If United don't improve in the coming months, a lot of us will completely lose faith in him.

Rikkun

Wait, Ibarbo is injured already?

I still have a bad feeling about Juventus vs. Milan.

EDIT: Holy shit Ibarbo will skip Roma Juventus too.
What a time to rob a fourth scudetto.

Suen

gaucci-e-gheddafi.jpeg

History repeats. It's CRAZY to think that the best Serie B team, getting closer and closer to Serie A is Carpi.

Carpi is a small city near Modena.

Carpi will probably replace Parma next year.
When we qualified for EL and Berlusconi shamelessly forced us to accept a part of Milan's debt in an attempt to win the EL spot from us UEFA was telling Parma that it may have to play in Modena's stadium because some shit was wrong with Stadio Ennio Tardini.

Elchele

Mourinho was replaced pretty easily with Ancelotti.

Has that changed how he is rated as a manager? No.

Maybe in UK, but outside his failure at RM was very bad for his reputation. Specially when Ancelotti managed to win the CL in his first season, in comparison

lol.

What does this even mean?

Make him operate on a tight budget, buy into the football he wants to play as a fanbase and squad, accept that he'll get the best out of the players who aren't necessarily the best players in the team*.

He was perfect for Everton, and they were perfect for him imo. And I think he'll do well at Sociedad if the fans accept his style of play, which to be frank was all over the place at Everton, but bizarrely one-note at Man Utd.

I'm not sure if he simply couldn't handle the pressure at Man Utd, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was just overwhelmed by the expectation and went into his shell as Rodgers did earlier in the season, when the situation called for him to start making big changes.

He's big, he's strong, he's quick.

*similar point to the one KidA just made. Aside from Januzaj, whose best form has come under Moyes tbf.

moyes is liked by the british press because he was one of the best managers in england for like ten years. not the best or the second best, but one of the best.

which is still really quite good. like talking about him being a midtable manager is interesting in the context of whether he should be manager of a club that wants to be top three in the world. but in the context of whether he's good at his job, he's absolutely the best midtable manager out there. there's a lot of managers in england, people like redknapp, pulis, pardew, allardyce, hodgson etc never were as good as him over that period. if it's so fucking easy just to grind and hoof then why was his everton so much better than the other midtable teams. why can't they repeat what he did consistently over that period.

He never beat a top side on the road. His replacement did just that, by beating him. I don't rate any of the managers you listed as good. All awful retreads. Now freaking Tim Sherwood is going to get a PL job. It's revolting.

Salvadora

Maybe in UK, but outside his failure at RM was very bad for his reputation. Specially when Ancelotti managed to win the CL in his first season, in comparison
I think most people know that Madrid can be incredibly toxic and he was competing against an absolutely sublime Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Last year, for example, showed the decline of their main rivals.

No to undersell Ancelotti's achievement of course, but the landscape was different.

Lightning

Banned
I think most people know that Madrid can be incredibly toxic and he was competing against an absolutely sublime Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Last year, for example, showed the decline of their main rivals.

No to undersell Ancelotti's achievement of course, but the landscape was different.
Mourinho himself can be incredibly toxic. They are a perfect fit.

jtb

Banned
Madrid were terrible before Mourinho arrived. More than not winning the CL, what tarnished his reputation at Madrid was his constant cuntish antics. And dropping Casillas lol.

Moyes and Pardew are good managers. Dumb to put them in the same sentence as Redknapp. Pretty sure they're both better than Hodgson too, though that might be a bit more debatable.

Salvadora

Madrid were terrible before Mourinho arrived. More than not winning the CL, what tarnished his reputation at Madrid was his constant cuntish antics. And dropping Casillas lol.
Dropping Casillas was completely warranted and should have continued post-Mourinho.

The only thing that possibly harmed his reputation at Madrid was losing the team.

Oh, and poking Vilanova in the eye.

Yen

Anyone know if it's possible to get a 24 or 48 hour code for XBL? Set up the wifi on my Xbox and would like to test it out before buying.

jtb

Banned
Dropping Casillas was completely warranted and should have continued post-Mourinho.

The only thing that possibly harmed his reputation at Madrid was losing the team.

Oh, and poking Vilanova in the eye.

Oh Casillas has destroyed his reputation too.

But dropping Casillas and losing the team were connected, no? Wasn't Casillas the one constantly leaking shit to the press? The whole Spanish/Portuguese split between the players? etc.

Wilbur

Banned

Moyes and Pardew are good managers. Dumb to put them in the same sentence as Redknapp. Pretty sure they're both better than Hodgson too, though that might be a bit more debatable.

Hodgson would be perfect for England if we stopped pretending we're a big nation

Should sit back and play deep but the media wouldn't like it so instead we're stuck in a halfway house with a defensive coach who is encouraged to play attacking football with a bunch of players not particularly suited to either.

Pardew certainly is a better coach and an underrated tactician who unfortunately is a fucking hilarious cunt which muddies opinion of him. It's pretty disappointing when he's one of the top English coaches, but there we are.

Moronho parked two buses during the Gerrard slip game when there was almost no motivation to do so other than to deny Liverpool the title that Chelsea weren't in competition for(at the time). Seemed rather unsporting to me, but they got the win.

The eye poke showed me what a cunt that man is. Haven't liked him since. Good manager, but he almost always plays with the 1st or 2nd richest squads in his leagues. 1st or 2nd richest squads generally win. Would like to see what he could do for a World Cup squad when he tires of club football.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a 24 or 48 hour code for XBL? Set up the wifi on my Xbox and would like to test it out before buying.

48 hour codes are available but I'm not entirely sure where to get one from.

Moronho parked two buses during the Gerrard slip game when there was almost no motivation to do so other than to deny Liverpool the title that Chelsea weren't in competition for(at the time). Seemed rather unsporting to me, but they got the win.

How was it unsporting? We had a CL game 3 days after which was more important, we played a weakened team and Jose still wanted to try and get something out of it. Liverpool were in great form (I think?) and there is certainly a rivalry between the two teams, we weren't going to hand it to them on a plate and we never will, we played to our strength with secret agent Stevie in tow, nothing unsporting about it.

Salvadora

The eye poke showed me what a cunt that man is. Haven't liked him since. Good manager, but he almost always plays with the 1st or 2nd richest squads in his leagues. 1st or 2nd richest squads generally win. Would like to see what he could do for a World Cup squad when he tires of club football.
He was playing a big away match against an incredibly in form team.

Anything else would have been throwing the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom