• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Some crazy debates on Milan and general anti-Juve forums right now. Some people simply can't comprehend how perspective works, loool. They're saying both Sky and Mediaset (lol?) intentionally fucked up the lines ...

B9R3M5FIgAAyFnY.png

What a time to be Juventino. Actually, it's just like any other time.

Alien: Isolation.

Fucking disgrace. I sympathise with the Milan fans. The sooner Juve are thrown out of Serie A, the better.

inky

The "I don't care 'bout story, I just want to have fun" line being spouted here is utter nonsense.

Tomb Raider is a crappy facsimile of a tired formula that isn't even fun to play. The one thing it had going for it in terms of fun (environmental puzzles, raiding tombs, climbing, etc) was stripped out to make room for more drab cinematic nonsense, 0 exploration and by the numbers shooty gameplay. The whole point of games like Tomb Raider is to take out any significant gameplay depth in favor of presentation, so how can the result be "it's better now because gameplay" when in fact it has more story and less gameplay than it ever did before.

Wilbur

Banned
The "I don't care 'bout story, I just want to have fun" line being spouted here is utter nonsense.

Tomb Raider is a crappy facsimile of a tired formula that isn't even fun to play. The one thing it had going for it in terms of fun (environmental puzzles, raiding tombs, climbing, etc) was stripped out to make room for more drab cinematic nonsense, 0 exploration and by the numbers shooty gameplay. The whole point of games like Tomb Raider is to take out any significant gameplay depth in favor of presentation.

If a game has a great story, brilliant. If it doesn't, I'm not fussed as long as it's fun to play (which Tomb Raider was; easy to pick up, not overtly challenging, nor difficult to be good at). If a game with shit gameplay has a great story, I think it fails as a video game.

I haven't played that Deadly Premonition, but I've seen so many people say they love it despite the gameplay... when that's far and beyond the most important part of a game.

Scum

If a game has a great story, brilliant. If it doesn't, I'm not fussed as long as it's fun to play (which Tomb Raider was; easy to pick up, not overtly challenging, nor difficult to be good at). If a game with shit gameplay has a great story, I think it fails as a video game.

I haven't played that Deadly Premonition, but I've seen so many people say they love it despite the gameplay... when that's far and beyond the most important part of a game.

You won't get far on Gamingside...

...and, I suppose, that's a good thing.
ibdwxPBoU0iP8Z.png

Clegg

FAO L1nett:

Agree with you about the performance threads. I ignore them these days and am better off for it. New Vegas hasn't been too bad for me yet though. Have had one lock up in about 10 hours of game play, the odd frame rate drop and stutter, but apart from that it's been ok. A bit concerned about the expanding size of my save file though. That's what did in my initial playthrough of Skyrim.

Don't want to get involved in that debate about whether Xenoblade should have been ported to the 3DS or WiiU. Yeah the graphics aren't quite as good on the 3DS and the frame rate has taken a hit, but it's a fantastic game all the same and it's pretty impressive that such a vast game with long draw distances looks to have translated well to a handheld device.

Fintan

Well there you go. Like I say, I haven't played it, but I've seen so many say its unwieldy, difficult to play, handles poorly.
Yeah, it is all those things, but it's like a good-bad movie. It's charming in its incompetence. Very funny throughout, even in the crappy combat sections. I played it with a group of friends, not sure how good it would be to play alone.

inky

But my point is even without taking into account any story (like, pretending it wasn't there) the game is plain boring to play. And there's less of it because it has been stripped out in favor of cinematic moments to boot. I don't think the gameplay is interesting or engaging. I couldn't tell you shit what old TRs are about either, but I can write an essay on the difference between complex platforming and puzzles vs awful, inconsequential cinematic gameplay.

I can understand liking Deadly Premonition, but make no mistake, people suffer through it to get to the interesting parts. You won't see anyone saying "it's fun to play mechanically". It's a bad game. Bargain bin material. That good aspect of it is what make people even bother with it.

GQman2121

Banned
The gaming side is a 4 out 10 for me. They're so focused on numbers (sales, resolutions, top __ list) and online battles that it's pointless to even attempt to have a discussion over there.

We've accomplished more in the last 100 posts on Tomb Raider, and such, than most on the gaming side have in weeks, if not years. This place has really gone to shit since becoming so mainstream.

This thread though just keeps on trucking.

Gameplay should obviously be the most important aspect in most games
though there are some exceptions
. Which makes me wonder why TLOU and RDR are regarded so highly.

That's not to say their bad games
although I think RDR isn't a good game

GQman2121

Banned
Yep. gameplay is the most important thing in videogames

But then you have games like the original Assassins Creed, the campaigns of Modern Warfare 2 & 3, and LA Noire where everything about them is appalling.

It's hard to imagine that someone took a look at those games and said, yes, here's $50 million dollars to make that happen.

Scum

The gaming side is a 4 out 10 for me. They're so focused on numbers (sales, resolutions, top __ list) and online battles that it's pointless to even attempt to have a discussion over there.

We've accomplished more in the last 100 posts on Tomb Raider, and such, than most on the gaming side have in weeks, if not years. This place has really gone to shit since becoming so mainstream.

This thread though just keeps on trucking.

This is why I love it when the "norm" is disrupted. The mental gymnastics becomes hilarious to watch. lol

CCS

Banned

For me the reason I love TLOU is that the story is incredible, and while the gameplay isn't the best ever, it's good enough that I enjoy it in and of itself rather than just enduring it.

Wilbur

Banned

Their gameplay certainly isn't bad though; TLOU might have pretty standard gameplay but it isn't unwieldy or clunky. Just nothing innovative. But that's fine by me.

Pennywise

Is Xenoblade just another jrpg, or something special, I see so many threads full of people climaxing to it.

It's a Nintendo game, so you have to look through some people that went overboard for every fart that comes from Ninty.

It's a pretty good JRPG, I mean the Wii one and the Wii U game looks even better.
Last gen we had nearly no good JRPG, a couple of mediocore ones and alot of freaking bad games.

The thirst is real obviously :p

Hixx

Tomb Raider is a crappy facsimile of a tired formula that isn't even fun to play. The one thing it had going for it in terms of fun (environmental puzzles, raiding tombs, climbing, etc) was stripped out to make room for more drab cinematic nonsense, 0 exploration and by the numbers shooty gameplay. The whole point of games like Tomb Raider is to take out any significant gameplay depth in favor of presentation, so how can the result be "it's better now because gameplay" when in fact it has more story and less gameplay than it ever did before.

It really isn't nonsense, though. It's called an opinion and who the fuck are you to call it "utter nonsense"?

Some of my favourite games have absolutely awful stories and writing. Absolutely dreadful. Shenmue and Resident Evil 4 - some of the one-liners in Resi 4 are delightful but by and large the writing and story are absolute cack. But I love them because they do other things brilliantly.

Scum

Is Xenoblade just another jrpg, or something special? I see so many threads full of people climaxing to it.

Xenoblade Chronicles was actually a bloody great game. Looks like cack on an archaic Wii but everything else is brilliant. It's a game I'd expect from 90s Squaresoft. The sequel is shaping up to be something special too.

GQman2121

Banned
This is why I love it when the "norm" is disrupted. The mental gymnastics becomes hilarious to watch. lol

I do love a good a GAF investigation where someone is called out and their post history is laid out for all to see. It's sad and disruptive, but it also shames people in a way where I hope others see that their efforts or agenda pandering is a waste of their lives. And there's so many of these people now.

Their gameplay certainly isn't bad though; TLOU might have pretty standard gameplay but it isn't unwieldy or clunky. Just nothing innovative. But that's fine by me.

I'd agree with that, it wasn't for me but that's down to my personal preferences. Like I said though, because the gameplay was pretty standard I was surprised at how it wiped the floor with everyone else in the GOTY conversation that year.

inky

It really isn't nonsense, though. It's called an opinion and who the fuck are you to call it "utter nonsense"?

Some of my favourite games have absolutely awful stories and writing. Absolutely dreadful. Shenmue and Resident Evil 4 - some of the one-liners in Resi 4 are delightful but by and large the writing and story are absolute cack. But I love them because they do other things brilliantly.

LOL. And? Who is saying it needs a good story fucking hell. I'm having a Pulga "please learn to read" moment here. Tomb Raider doesn't do anything gameplay related brilliantly. It's a by the numbers, AAA wannabe Uncharted that even fails at that.

OK, are you still with me? Read carefully this sentence: when I say the "I don't care 'bout story, I just want to have fun" comment in relation to Tomb Raider is, in fact, "utter nonsense" it is because we are not arguing tomb Raider sucks because its story is poor, but because the overall package is poor, gameplay included. I even bring it up again in a subsequent post:

But my point is even without taking into account any story (like, pretending it wasn't there) the game is plain boring to play.

I agree with the notion that gameplay is more important. I agree that a game having a crap story is inconsequential as long as it is fun to play, and that games that have crap stories can be fun to play if their gameplay is good. And I've you'd read my post twice before commenting you'd realize I wasn't denying any of these points.

I know it's your shit opinion that the game is fun to play. I disagree with your shit opinion, but I'm not attacking that shit opinion. I'm saying the idea that "story" is what comes into equation when I say TR sucks is utter nonsense, because it is utter nonsense. No one is talking about story.

faridmon

Thank god I have never put any weight on the gaming side's taste of games. They are always arguing about things that they know it ain't true and hence have a weird perception on things.

As a result of that, I bloody loved every minute of FF XII Revenant Wings while GAF can continue hating it.

What a mediocre movie Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is..

WTF?

CCS

Banned
Sometimes people use the phrase "hivemind " to avoid having to say anything intelligent, but it definitely exists over on gaming side. There's certain topics you just can't have any sort of intelligent discussion about there.

The gameplay in TLOU was pretty standard yeah, but it does it exceptionally well. Everything about that game just worked for me. Such a well-crafted game and beautifully handled.

Actually, a lot of my favourite games control terribly but they are so well-done, that it's easy to overlook the flaws. Like Resi 4 for example, that game has pretty shit controls but the pacing and variety is absolutely incredible. It never lets up.

El Topo

Is Xenoblade just another jrpg, or something special? I see so many threads full of people climaxing to it.

It's a good (but not amazing) RPG with an interesting story, some wonderful scenery and one of the best soundtracks of all time. I had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed the eventful story, but the soundtrack elevates it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom