• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Jesus Christian

I'm the top poster in this thread. First time ever probably.

I need Yurt to push me down to 2nd.

Jurt pls.

Hitcher ask some questions.

CCS

Banned
A few days ago when we had half an inch of snow, pretty much all the trains just stopped working. What is it with England and everything going to shit as soon as there's a few flakes of snow?

Is Danny Ings going to be 2015's Charlie Adam?

Did I just make a Hitcher post?

No, and no.

1) Ings is decent at worst
2) Adam is dogshit
3) We signed Adam based on him having 2 attributes, good free kicks and long passing. Both of them turned to shit when he joined
4) Even if Ings flops, he isn't a dirty cunt like Adam is

I'd like better than Ings (if we finish 7th that probably ain't happening) but at least he shouldn't be a fucking embarassment like it was when that gap-toothed chubby twat was waddling about for us every other week

Carroll, Downing, Adam. Fucking hell. There's going back to basics, then there's going back to the fucking 60s.

Linius

A few days ago when we had half an inch of snow, pretty much all the trains just stopped working. What is it with England and everything going to shit as soon as there's a few flakes of snow?

It's the same in The Netherlands. And we all shit on our railways for it pretending like we're the only country in Europe where that happens :p

Obviously shit needs to change though.

Like most things, it's because of our century old infrastructure. We've invested very little into upgrades and modernising - and it's actually massively expensive to upgrade, more so than building from scratch in many cases.

The particular issue with rail tracks is that the snow jams up the points and sometimes freezes over which means the tracks don't move as they should, or that there's risk that they won't. Don't know enough about it but I assume our tracks don't have the heating or self cleaning tech that modern day tracks would. Some train companies actually run trains through the night when there is risk of snow to try and keep the tracks clear and live.

It's an opportunity cost thing too - why shell out to upgrade for 1/2 days a year?

CCS

Banned
Like most things, it's because of our century old infrastructure. We've invested very little into upgrades and modernising - and it's actually massively expensive to upgrade, more so than building from scratch in many cases.

The particular issue with rail tracks is that the snow jams up the points and sometimes freezes over which means the tracks don't move as they should, or that there's risk that they won't. Don't know enough about it but I assume our tracks don't have the heating or self cleaning tech that modern day tracks would. Some train companies actually run trains through the night when there is risk of snow to try and keep the tracks clear and live.

I don't know much about infrastructure, but that makes sense knowing how little we invest into it. I wish we'd just can HS2 and use that money to fix things that already exist, because by god there's a lot of stuff that's in dire need of it.

Blablurn

B9UZWRSIIAALzkS.jpg:large

B9UZWPJIQAArVBo.jpg:large

B9UZWRNIAAEIY1Y.jpg:large

jBX8nGI.png

Salazar

In 2013 he was convicted in absentia of fraud, but the sentence was overturned 2 months later after he and the complainant reached a settlement.

I was reading about a conviction by default the other day - checking a name and some dates in ODNB.

Tresilian was summoned to answer the appeal in parliament and on failing to appear was condemned by default, on 13 February 1388. Six days later he was found hiding in disguise in Westminster. His discovery caused a sensation, coming when proceedings against the king's supporters were at their height. According to Favent, Tresilian was spotted as he observed proceedings from the roof of a house next to Westminster Palace, and was subsequently discovered hiding under a table, heavily bearded and wearing eccentric clothes, so that he looked more like a pilgrim or beggar than a royal justice. Knighton attests the strange clothes and adds that the beard was false, and that Tresilian was recognized by his distinctive voice. He was dragged out to cries of ‘We havet hym’, and brought before parliament. He claimed the sanctuary of Westminster Abbey, but Gloucester denied the claim. Attempts to argue that the procedure against him had been founded in error were likewise brushed aside, and the original sentence was quickly carried out. Tresilian was drawn on a hurdle to Tyburn, where physical force was needed to make him ascend the scaffold. His clothes, which were found to be filled with protective charms, were stripped off, and he was hanged naked, finally having his throat cut.

Exciting times.

El Topo

Mohamed Zidan is still hanging around in Dortmund and is training with our team. The guy hasn't had a club since summer 2013 :lol #EchteLiebe

I think he's just happy that he can keep in shape somewhere. What's the alternative? One of those training camps organized by unemployed football players? Pretty nice of Dortmund actually.

King_Moc

Banned
No, and no.

1) Ings is decent at worst
2) Adam is dogshit
3) We signed Adam based on him having 2 attributes, good free kicks and long passing. Both of them turned to shit when he joined
4) Even if Ings flops, he isn't a dirty cunt like Adam is

I'd like better than Ings (if we finish 7th that probably ain't happening) but at least he shouldn't be a fucking embarassment like it was when that gap-toothed chubby twat was waddling about for us every other week

Carroll, Downing, Adam. Fucking hell. There's going back to basics, then there's going back to the fucking 60s.

It irrittated me no end against West Ham the other week when the commentators said "Stewart Downing will have a point to prove here". He had 2 years and only managed to proves that he's fucking useless. An attacking winger getting no goals or assists in an entire season is a fucking embarrassment.

It irrittated me no end against West Ham the other week when the commentators said "Stewart Downing will have a point to prove here". He had 2 years and only managed to proves that he's fucking useless. An attacking winger getting no goals or assists in an entire season is a fucking embarrassment.

You have to wonder whether the system or the current players at the time prevented his development. This season alone proves he is a very effective attacking midfielder. He didn't just sprout into that at West Ham, he'd shown that at his previous clubs.

The problem at that time was Liverpool, not Downing. Clearly something wasn't working for him there - that isn't something that is exclusive to Downing, a lot of players suffered hard times during those seasons.

The same could be said of Sturridge wherever he was. He is currently in a system that favours him with players who favour the way he plays which is why he is an excellent player.

I don't think Liverpool's system favours Lallana either. When you have people like Henderson, Gerrard and Coutinho at the club who will traditionally do all of the things he was noticed for (free kicks, corners, long balls, driving the ball forward) he is obviously going to get lost in the pack.

It is why Torres was less than excellent at Chelsea - that system did not suit him at all.

moojito

So they have a 7 minute applause and a 14 minute applause?

Only a matter of time until we get the nike sponsored 23 minute applause

King_Moc

Banned
You have to wonder whether the system or the current players at the time prevented his development. This season alone proves he is a very effective attacking midfielder. He didn't just sprout into that at West Ham, he'd shown that at his previous clubs.

The problem at that time was Liverpool, not Downing. Clearly something wasn't working for him there - that isn't something that is exclusive to Downing, a lot of players suffered hard times during those seasons.

The same could be said of Sturridge wherever he was. He is currently in a system that favours him with players who favour the way he plays which is why he is an excellent player.

I don't think Liverpool's system favours Lallana either. When you have people like Henderson, Gerrard and Coutinho at the club who will traditionally do all of the things he was noticed for (free kicks, corners, long balls, driving the ball forward) he is obviously going to get lost in the pack.

It is why Torres was less than excellent at Chelsea - that system did not suit him at all.

What's so hard about hitting long balls to Andy Carroll? He seems to manage it ok now. I'm not so sure about the current system not suiting Lallana. He normally plays ok, I just think he's a bit outclassed by Coutinho and Sterling and does a similar thing.

Torres was shit well before he left for Chelsea. And Sturridge was excellent everywhere else, as well as far as I can remember. Just wasn't given the gametime by Chelsea.

Salazar

Mate, they said that about Mame Biram Diouf against us :lol

PowderedToast

lallana looks like a player who plays himself into form. but with increased competition and injury he has only impressed in flashes. when he's firing he is fantastic, and scored one of my fav goals this season

Linius

Pls win against Go Ahead, you need to get that 2nd place or all of Dutch football will be doomed for years to come.

BDSuRvX.png

This just got in. I want to support De Boer but with these kind of line-ups he's making it hard to do so. He's got no fucking balls. And in the process he kills our most creative players by having them play to a set of rules.

confuziz

Banned
BDSuRvX.png

This just got in. I want to support De Boer but with these kind of line-ups he's making it hard to do so. He's got no fucking balls. And in the process he kills our most creative players by having them play to a set of rules.

Schone as false 9 again? rip in pieces.

Yen

I've never seen a Liverpool player who lacked more bottle than Stewart Downing. Under Kenny, the ball would be passed to him and rather than run down the wing, take in his man or attempt anything, like lump the ball towards Carroll, he'd turn round and pass the ball to Enrique and hide. He showed some signs of competency under Brendan on the right, but he was still so ineffectual on the left we once lined up with Downing at left back and Enrique at left wing. I think he had about 2 goals and 2 assists under Brendan.

Linius

It seems so obvious. De Boer just doesn't care anymore. He wants to leave.

Nah, that hasn't got shit to do with it.

Frank has always been scared to take risks. He wants to play safe and wants players to just pass the ball around and don't risks. If you put three young players up front it can go two ways of course. But at least you know there's a decent chance of things going our way. With Schöne up front you just miss a guy who can finish chances. What's the point of playing two wingers if you don't have anyone in the box anyways.

GorillaJu

Burnley's stadium literally sounds like a golf match. Not meant as a slight at all. I like the genuine "wow!" surprise in their voices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom