• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Reading this thread was fucking painful :lol. Imagine how bad it would have been if I'd watched it.

Very disconcerting to see we played poorly again. Nothing against Burnley, because they're playing with pace and fight and spirit and there is no way I expected us to just turn up and do them, but from the sounds of it we're still playing ponderous, predictable shit going forward and because of the woeful personnel everywhere else our defence are constantly under pressure.

That we're third with centre backs like ours, while playing two dead forwards and that potato heed* at the base of midfield... I really don't know if that's impressive or not :lol

I mean that. Liverpool, Spurs, Southampton and Arsenal all play better football. The latter two have better defenders for sure (and you'd most likely be right if you said the former two did as well). They have strikers who are scoring. They aren't forcing players into positions they can't play.

And yet we're ahead of them all. And hard to even say it's because of our colossal summer spend, because they're all either injured, playing shit, or can't get in the side.

Bizarre. Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre. No idea what to think.

As for the other results:

- Disappointed City won, but that was somewhat mitigated by the fact that Chelsea won. We're closer to City than they are to the top. What a time to be alive.

- Nice to see Saints dropping points too. They can do Liverpool next week though as long as we win. That would be lovely.

- Was praying for Palace to win tonight. If they finish above Newcastle this season I'll wank long into the up and coming monsoon months.

- *insert west brom - swansea thoughts here*

* thanks hicky

GQman2121

Banned
Azpili just can't help himself....

33Dpvti.jpg

LTWheels

Lovren seemed alright in his small cameo last night. Our Europa defence should be Lovren, Kolo and one of Skrtel or Can depending on who needs a rest.

I'm worried of Sakho being overplayed and injured. Play Rossiter in Europe.

Looked like a penalty for Stoke from that Crouch header, probably going in if it doesn't hit Milners hand? Might need to see it again though

And a hand of god from Aguero. It runs in the family it seems

Arnie

Lovren seemed alright in his small cameo last night. Our Europa defence should be Lovren, Kolo and one of Skrtel or Can depending on who needs a rest.

I'm worried of Sakho being overplayed and injured. Play Rossiter in Europe.

Rossiter got a pretty serious ankle injury; had surgery today.

Missed the football but it sounds predictably boring. United play shit and win. Chelsea win in the snidiest way possible. Milner scores.

scently

RVP, Falcao and Rooney had one shot between them all game.

And that was a penalty.

Rooney did not play as a striker, hasn't done so in a long while. He was our deepest lying mid today when Blind went off. And while the other two had a very poor game, our main problem, especially in this game, is that we didn't create a lot of chances from open play. 2 goals from corners and a penalty.

Wilbur

Banned
PoolGAF, here's a question:

How confident are you that, by the end of Brendan Rodgers' time at Liverpool, he'll have won a trophy?

Apologies if that sounded like I'm saying he isn't going to
he isn't going to
, but because presumably you lot don't have the mentality of Arsene Wenger 2004-2014, a trophy win would be just as delicious as sustained top four.

You came close in the league last season, you got to the semis of the COC this year: but are you confident that Brendanball will eventually bring the silverware? Do Rodgers' tactics lend themselves well to knockout football? Is a sustained run in the league your best shot (next season or the year after)?

And ultimately, if the trajectory mellows and he keeps you hanging around the top four in this admittedly competitive league, and wins none of the three/four/five trophies available every season, when would it be time to seek a change?

Scum

Scum m8, we took Cuadrado from Fio and gave them Salah, you'll walk it!

Steve, pls. Dead players are usually brought back to life when playing us.

I think this is where it all went wrong in 12/13. We beat Arsenal 2-1, lost at Liverpool 3-2 and then fucked up at home to Fulham after that stupid extra time away at Inter.

I'd play Kane and Eriksen in the first leg but leave them at home for the second irrespective of the result. Either we get the job done at WHL or we go out.

I'm all for it. Love Europa League but sod it, especially if it ruins our league form. Besides, we're guaranteed EL footie next season regardless.

How confident are you that, by the end of Brendan Rodgers' time at Liverpool, he'll have won a trophy?

he isn't going to
, but because presumably you lot don't have the mentality of Arsene Wenger 2004-2014, a trophy win would be just as delicious as sustained top four.

You came close in the league last season, you got to the semis of the COC this year: but are you confident that Brendanball will eventually bring the silverware? Do Rodgers' tactics lend themselves well to knockout football? Is a sustained run in the league your best shot (next season or the year after)?

And ultimately, if the trajectory mellows and he keeps you hanging around the top four in this admittedly competitive league, and wins none of the three/four/five trophies available every season, when would it be time to seek a change?

Seeing a nice variety of jabs here Wilbur.

Food for the soul.

Arnie

he isn't going to

Not confident at all, primarily because of an in-built pessimism rather than anything inherently Brendan.

Ultimately I'm too happy about the majority of Brendanisms to really dwell on that, though. If we were playing shit football I'd question his obvious flaws more openly (knockout tactics, pragmatism, bottle to drop Steven Gerrard, murky transfers, Fabio Borini). On the flip side he's made football ridiculously fun and that spark last season, that genuine bloodlust of premier league superiority was absolutely sensational, even if we fell short at the final hurdle. That's good enough for me, for Brendan. He came in when we were 7th and falling off the face of the earth, his job wasn't to win the premier league.

I always want to see us doing something. I couldn't exist to exist. Go from 7th to 2nd and back to 7th for all I care. We're fluctuating. Trying things. Expanding and evolving. The massive difference between Brendanball in September and Brendanball now is astonishing and it fills me with utter happiness.

In a world where a lot grinds my gears and gets on my tits, to have that solace week in, week out makes it really difficult to worry about the concept of silverware.

And plus, look at lads like Hixx, or Wes. How much of a CUNT would I be to throw a hissyfit about not winning the Capital One Cup.

cremino

So Parma was sold twice in few days, both times for 1 €, the club is indebted for almost 100 milions and in case of bankruptcy they will be relegated to serie D (italian equivalent of football conference)

RiggyRob

Keown: "Van Gaal said he was going to win the league when he came here."

Am I missing something, or has Van Gaal never actually said that?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
So Parma was sold twice in few days, both times for 1 €, the club is indebted for almost 100 milions and in case of bankruptcy they will be relegated to serie D (italian equivalent of football conference)

lets cry for suen, he's already dead

Meier

Sergio Kun Aguero @aguerosergiokun · 3 minutes ago
For the ones asking I'm ok. I stepped out only for precaution. Now let's keep on working for the very important upcoming commitments.

Thank you based 10 day let off.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

you really can't help but laugh at all of this

1 mere Euro

even Arsene Wenger could buy them now with his Suarez tenner

hell, he'd get some change back too

Wilbur

Banned
Not confident at all, primarily because of an in-built pessimism rather than anything inherently Brendan.

Ultimately I'm too happy about the majority of Brendanisms to really dwell on that, though. If we were playing shit football I'd question his obvious flaws more openly (knockout tactics, pragmatism, bottle to drop Steven Gerrard, murky transfers, Fabio Borini). On the flip side he's made football ridiculously fun and that spark last season, that genuine bloodlust of premier league superiority was absolutely sensational, even if we fell short at the final hurdle. That's good enough for me, for Brendan. He came in when we were 7th and falling off the face of the earth, his job wasn't to win the premier league.

I always want to see us doing something. I couldn't exist to exist. Go from 7th to 2nd and back to 7th for all I care. We're fluctuating. Trying things. Expanding and evolving. The massive difference between Brendanball in September and Brendanball now is astonishing and it fills me with utter happiness.

In a world where a lot grinds my gears and gets on my tits, to have that solace week in, week out makes it really difficult to worry about the concept of silverware.

And plus, look at lads like Hixx, or Wes. How much of a CUNT would I be to throw a hissyfit about not winning the Capital One Cup.

This is fair. Absolutely fair.

I mean, I'm coming from an extremely privileged position. I'm eternally grateful that, back when I couldn't tell my Norwiches from my Newcastles and my Birminghams from my bollocks, Dwight joined Becks at United and not the other way around. It may well have been me offering to stand back to back with Wes and tell him that it'll only take one bullet, honest.

I'm coming from a position where, even if we played turgid football, we still won something. In the 15/16 years I've followed United, I can't remember very many where we've won nowt. It's difficult for me to see that fun equates to happiness when it comes to football. And that sounds massively cunty considering we have fans of clubs in far more precarious positions. We're third, for fuck's sake.

But eventually, van Gaal is going to be judged on silverware. There must be a worry that Rodgers may go another season or two without it, and relatively speaking for Liverpool, that's four or five seasons without winning anything. That's bad. That's the kind of thing that sees managers at top clubs sacked.

So I just wonder whether that impacts on his legacy at all, or when it does, etc.

I'm just looking for something to talk about. Please understand.

K1LLER7

Keown: "Van Gaal said he was going to win the league when he came here."

Am I missing something, or has Van Gaal never actually said that?
if I remember correctly:

Wants to win the league in the 3 years he's here.

1st year is/was to rebuild the team. Get CL.

2nd & 3rd - Aim for the league & CL titles.

At the moment, it's not looking too good. Hopefully we have a good summer in the window, especially now Gaal has worked with the team for a season. He'll (hopefully) know what we need.

Arnie

This is fair. Absolutely fair.

I mean, I'm coming from an extremely privileged position. I'm eternally grateful that, back when I couldn't tell my Norwiches from my Newcastles and my Birminghams from my bollocks, Dwight joined Becks at United and not the other way around. It may well have been me offering to stand back to back with Wes and tell him that it'll only take one bullet, honest.

I'm coming from a position where, even if we played turgid football, we still won something. In the 15/16 years I've followed United, I can't remember very many where we've won nowt. It's difficult for me to see that fun equates to happiness when it comes to football. And that sounds massively cunty considering we have fans of clubs in far more precarious positions. We're third, for fuck's sake.

But eventually, van Gaal is going to be judged on silverware. There must be a worry that Rodgers may go another season or two without it, and relatively speaking for Liverpool, that's four or five seasons without winning anything. That's bad. That's the kind of thing that sees managers at top clubs sacked.

So I just wonder whether that impacts on his legacy at all, or when it does, etc.

I'm just looking for something to talk about. Please understand.

I just think talk without context or nuance is pointless. And any contextual, nuanced discussion of Brendan Rodgers at this stage is that he's a sensational manager that has transformed Liverpool Football Club in a relatively short period of time, to the point where he legitimately challenged for the Premier League with the likes of Henderson, Flanagan, 33 year old Gerrard and Sterling. The squad also contained Victor Moses, Aly Cissokho, Iago Aspas and Joe Allen.

We might not have won it but considering the squad we had it was fucking remarkable. He made a group of lads play brilliantly. And they weren't all brilliant players.

Meier

Mous reaction gon be gud when Ivanovic gets banned

Vine I just saw of it was hard to tell what happened. If he wasn't punished and they don't have a better camera angle, he'll probably be okay you'd think.

I can guarantee he brings up the Milner handball (?) off the line. I still think it hit his chest or body first but it does seem to deflect into his arm/hand so you know he'll bring it up.

dc89

Sergio Kun Aguero @aguerosergiokun · 3 minutes ago
For the ones asking I'm ok. I stepped out only for precaution. Now let's keep on working for the very important upcoming commitments.

Thank you based 10 day let off.

Thank goodness.

Wilbur

Banned
I just think talk without context or nuance is pointless. And any contextual, nuanced discussion of Brendan Rodgers at this stage is that he's a sensational manager that has transformed Liverpool Football Club in a relatively short period of time, to the point where he legitimately challenged for the Premier League with the likes of Henderson, Flanagan, 33 year old Gerrard and Sterling. The squad also contained Victor Moses, Aly Cissokho, Iago Aspas and Joe Allen.

We might not have won it but considering the squad we had it was fucking remarkable. He made a group of lads play brilliantly. And they weren't all brilliant players.

Fucking hell I forgot you had Aly Cissokho

Meier

http://giant.gfycat.com/AntiqueAnchoredDowitcher.gif[img]

Incredible[/QUOTE]

Bro. Never, ever embed a gif that size. Just link to the gfy. This thing is probably 20-30 megs and just destroys the thread on Chrome browsers and kills people's data on their phones.

Great save though.. fuck you, Romelu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom