• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The downside of GAF's strict moderation policy is that it produces epiphenomenally this teleological mentality where a discussion is settled when the other side is banned. It's the victory-condition approach to video games injected into some naïve conception of debate.

Honestly, I wouldn't still be on GAF if it didn't prune itself so assiduously, but the way in which this can, at times, be thuggishly reappropriated by non-admin/mod participants for pathetic ends can get quite annoying.

use your thesaurus more next time plz

pulga

Banned
use your thesaurus more next time plz

9vU7w8t.png

Bold One

The downside of GAF's strict moderation policy is that it produces epiphenomenally this teleological mentality where a discussion is settled when the other side is banned. It's the victory-condition approach to video games injected into some naïve conception of debate.

Honestly, I wouldn't still be on GAF if it didn't prune itself so assiduously, but the way in which this can, at times, be thuggishly reappropriated by non-admin/mod participants for pathetic ends can get quite annoying.

wow, them be some mighty big words, we're not but humble footgaffers...

you are absolutely correct, any real discussion or debate killed dead in its track the moment a subsection of gaf claims offence, the mods must kowtow, they always do. Its one thing to post with the sensitivities of others in mind and you absolutely should. The problem is now certain groups are using their 'feelings' and 'sensitivities' not as a shield but as a spear to subject others to their own standards, values and ideals..

but on the real, the mods know it, its why they are so sensitive about the term 'hive-mind', and woe betide the poor fool who goes against it.

Wilbur

Banned
Wha?

As someone who knows jackshit about the language, his comment seems a OK

You guys are pulling my legs aren't you?

So you think that Spurs are a horrible autonomous of a club, and you don't know that we only pull one leg, but you do know epiphenomenally teleological means?

Farid you are the riddle that keeps on riddlin'

pulga

Banned
Football 2014/2015 |OT14| A bunch of epiphenomenally teleological m8s

edit: what was it he called me a couple of weeks back? :lol

faridmon

you are absolutely correct, any real discussion or debate killed dead in its track the moment a subsection of gaf claims offence, the mods must kowtow, they always do. Its one thing to post with the sensitivities of others in mind and you absolutely should. The problem is now certain groups are using their 'feelings' and 'sensitivities' not as a shield but as a spear to subject others to their own standards, values and ideals..

but on the real, the mods know it, its why they are so sensitive about the term 'hive-mind', and woe betide the poor fool who goes against it.

The main problem I am having is the level of hypocrisy that stems out of those debates and hence the moderators who are watching those unfolds. For instance, Racism and homophobia are absolute no-no (as it should, I should add) yet, attacking religious people or certain others with individual tastes (such as Alternative music) is actually encouraged on the basis of ''free critical opinions''. Yes, racisms and homophobia are bigger offences than say beliefs, but calling a group that holds such belief terrorist and back-water buffons is just as hurtful, because you are being told following something makes you incapable of making rationale decision.

Also, I need to ask you again how to hide some of those threads again? because I have tried and sort of came back empty handed.

Esch

Banned
The main problem I am having is the level of hypocrisy that stems out of those debates and hence the moderators who are watching those unfolds. For instance, Racism and homophobia are absolute no-no (as it should, I should add) yet, attacking religious people or certain others with individual tastes (such as Alternative music) is actually encouraged on the basis of ''free critical opinions''. Yes, racisms and homophobia are bigger offences than say beliefs, but calling a group that holds such belief terrorist and back-water buffons is just as hurtful, because you are being told following something makes you incapable of making rationale decision.

Also, I need to ask you again how to hide some of those threads again? because I have tried and sort of came back empty handed.

it's a video game forum.

Wilbur

Banned
I knew what teleological arguments were but:

Epiphenomenalism is a mind–body philosophy marked by the belief that basic physical events (sense organs, neural impulses, and muscle contractions) are causal with respect to mental events (thought, consciousness, and cognition). Mental events are viewed as completely dependent on physical functions and, as such, have no independent existence or causal efficacy; it is a mere appearance. Fear seems to make the heart beat faster; though, according to epiphenomenalism, the state of the nervous system causes the heart to beat faster. Because mental events are a kind of overflow that cannot cause anything physical, yet have non-physical properties, epiphenomenalism is viewed as a form of property dualism.

If you learnt this from watching Sushi Pussy Demon IV: The Quest for Spock

damn

pulga

Banned

Epiphenomenalism is a mind–body philosophy marked by the belief that basic physical events (sense organs, neural impulses, and muscle contractions) are causal with respect to mental events (thought, consciousness, and cognition). Mental events are viewed as completely dependent on physical functions and, as such, have no independent existence or causal efficacy; it is a mere appearance. Fear seems to make the heart beat faster; though, according to epiphenomenalism, the state of the nervous system causes the heart to beat faster. Because mental events are a kind of overflow that cannot cause anything physical, yet have non-physical properties, epiphenomenalism is viewed as a form of property dualism.

damn

this is why you're chicken grilling and farid is living the life

what a time to be faridmon

faridmon

damn

WTF are you talking about? Teleological arguments and epiphenomenal dualism was in Sushi Pussy Demon II: The Green Liquid. in IV they went on to the subject of Cognitive constructivism (theory by Michael Frayn) which Benjamin Libe alluded to in his experiments about human perception.

At least get your facts right.

mate i've spent all day using big words to put in movie reviews

dont lecture me on this u cis scum

If it doesn't include words such ''Teleological'' and ''epiphenomenal'', it ain't big.

speaking of which, I need to update my blog. Its been dead for months now :/
Writing sucks.

If MGSV gets delayed to fucking September because Konami US wants more time to promote it, someone is gonna get hurt.

Its fucking MGS, it doesn't need anymore promotion ffs. Its on 5 platforms, is a big name brand, all they risk doing is getting mixed up with other big hitters, when June will be fine.

Scum!

Let me know if Majora's Mask 3DS is any good m8. I dunno whether to wait till my birthday next month or wait till after work tomorrow and get it then
D5Jy4CR.png

#firstworldproblems

Wilbur

Banned
WTF are you talking about? Teleological arguments and epiphenomenal dualism was in Sushi Pussy Demon II: The Green Liquid. in IV they went on to the subject of Cognitive constructivism (theory by Michael Frayn) which Benjamin Libe alluded to in his experiments about human perception.

At least get your facts right.

If it doesn't include words such ''Teleological'' and ''epiphenomenal'', it ain't big.

speaking of which, I need to update my blog. Its been dead for months now :/
Writing sucks.

God you're amazing

It does. So much editing and re-editing, wondering whether it's good or not, worrying whether anyone reads it

I just put all my movie reviews, football blogs, old essays and poems and shit on a blog so I can bang it on a cv and have a bit of a portfolio

pls feel free to read it

Pennywise

Remember when I said September and everyone Said I was wrong

God I love myself
Solopist.

If MGSV gets delayed to fucking September because Konami US wants more time to promote it, someone is gonna get hurt.

Its fucking MGS, it doesn't need anymore promotion ffs. Its on 5 platforms, is a big name brand, all they risk doing is getting mixed up with other big hitters, when June will be fine.

Agree.
June would be so freaking great, would basically fill a big hole.

damn
Not to create any more confusion, but the word "epiphenomenal" need not be associated with epiphenomenalism, just as the use of the word "ideal" need not have anything to do with idealism; it's merely the adjectival form of epiphenomenon.

And just to clarify, I didn't intend to make anyone feel inferior, nor be perceived as some intelligently elitist dick. I sincerely couldn't think of suitable synonyms that convey precisely what I meant. It doesn't help that I've studied entirely too much philosophy.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

ign italy even deleted the news now, don't worry. they're just talking out of their ass, like with the Last Guardian. It's gon be a June-July release.

faridmon

flabberghastly said:
And just to clarify, I didn't intend to make anyone feel inferior, nor be perceived as some intelligently elitist dick. I sincerely couldn't think of suitable synonyms that convey precisely what I meant. It doesn't help that I've studied entirely too much philosophy.

Have you by any chance come across Michael Frayn? I was not interested in Philosophy until I read his stuff and now I am actually hunting for material.

Well, I am not much of a reader anymore, but I did like how short, concise and humourous his views were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom