• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNNNEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!

YW7mTdb.gif

Lightning

Banned
Am I a massive twat for not being as bothered about the FA cup as I was now that we're back in with a reasonable shout for a CL spot?

Since we beat Spurs, there's no way we should risk playing anyone who isn't at 100% imo
Incredibly shallow because Wenger was belittled for years for only achieving CL football and now your prepared to sacrifice trophies to achieve that exact position despite spending a lot of money.

Also your shot at top 4 is still incredibly difficult. I would put my hope in winning the europa league now as that seems more achievable and likely than top 4. Our run in is much more favorable than yours is.

Incredibly shallow because Wenger was belittled for years for only achieving CL football and now your prepared to sacrifice trophies to achieve that exact position despite spending a lot of money.

Also your shot at top 4 is still incredibly difficult. I would put my hope in winning the europa league now as that seems more achievable and likely than top 4. Our run in is much more favorable than yours is.

Don't really understand your point with Wenger

1) I've always been very lenient on Arsenal being satisfied with 4th (not that it matters)
2) Liverpool are in a position where finishing in the top 4 for 2 years running would be much more advantageous than winning the cup. Not that the two are at all mutually exclusive, but the shallow squad will have an impact, especially with EL thrown into the mix, a competition we really can't afford to treat as anything other than a priority.

I wouldn't call our chances of top 4 that slim tbh, though we'll know much more about our chances 2 weeks from now.

If we want to attract players who are definitely good enough, especially up front, winning the FA Cup and finishing 7th almost certainly won't be enough.

Lightning

Banned
Don't really understand your point with Wenger

1) I've always been very lenient on Arsenal being satisfied with 4th (not that it matters)
2) Liverpool are in a position where finishing in the top 4 for 2 years running would be much more advantageous than winning the cup. Not that the two are at all mutually exclusive, but the shallow squad will have an impact, especially with EL thrown into the mix, a competition we really can't afford to treat as anything other than a priority.

I wouldn't call our chances of top 4 that slim tbh, though we'll know much more about our chances 2 weeks from now.
Just a comment on Wenger, not really directed at anyone in particular but the abuse that man received for only achieving CL football was over the top when realistically everyone knows that top clubs need to be in that competition above all else, including winning the FA cup.

Reason why pushing this years FA cup aside is quite foolish is that it's actually winnable. Arsenal, United and Liverpool are in great positions to have a great shot at the cup. Should not be thrown away and if it is after spending the amount of money that Arsenal/United/Liverpool have spent then all our managers need questioning as to what the fuck.

All I mean by your chances is that Spurs for example have now finished playing Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea and they are still ahead of you. Big threat. Arsenal play most of our toughest games at home now, where we are traditionally strong (doesn't mean we will win) and United have no other commitments aside from an FA cup with teams either equal or lower than them remaining. Strong position. Southampton who knows? If they keep winning then that's a problem too.

Just a comment on Wenger, not really directed at anyone in particular but the abuse that man received for only achieving CL football was over the top when realistically everyone knows that top clubs need to be in that competition above all else, including winning the FA cup.

Liverpool have had a fairly miserable few years though dropping from 2nd and very close in the title race down to what, 6th/7th/8th? (can't remember exactly) For Liverpool to sustain their plans of competition at the top they need 4th more than the FA Cup, Liverpool are still rebuilding especially after Suarez left.

Arsenal on the other hand have always managed top 4, but in some years almost scraped by, made poor decisions in the transfer market and made it quite clear that the cups didn't matter. Arsenal got criticised because they should unquestionably have been doing more and better than they were, there was a complete lack of ambition and other failures, I don't think the situations are that comparable, given the problems Liverpool have had in recent years.

Lightning

Banned
Liverpool have had a fairly miserable few years though dropping from 2nd and very close in the title race down to what, 6th/7th/8th? (can't remember exactly) For Liverpool to sustain their plans of competition at the top they need 4th more than the FA Cup, Liverpool are still rebuilding especially after Suarez left.

Arsenal on the other hand have always managed top 4, but in some years almost scraped by, made poor decisions in the transfer market and made it quite clear that the cups didn't matter. Arsenal got criticised because they should unquestionably have been doing more and better than they were, there was a complete lack of ambition and other failures, I don't think the situations are that comparable, given the problems Liverpool have had in recent years.
A classic post conveniently ignoring the fact that until Ozil's transfer we were forced to make profit every year by several million pounds to manage the payments of our stadium. It was an achievement many of those years that we actually managed to get top 4 while spending no money.

You lose one player (Suarez) and Liverpool get a pass on a rebuild? Arsenal lost Fabregas, RvP, Henry, Nasri etc just to pay stadium debts without being able to spend over 100m on players like Liverpool and we should be doing much better while Liverpool get a pass? You need to do better than that.

A classic post conveniently ignoring the fact that until Ozil's transfer we were forced to make profit every year by several million pounds to manage the payments of our stadium. It was an achievement many of those years that we actually managed to get top 4 while spending no money.

You lose one player (Suarez) and Liverpool get a pass on a rebuild? Arsenal lost Fabregas, RvP, Henry, Nasri etc just to pay stadium debts without being able to spend over 100m on players like Liverpool and we should be doing much better while Liverpool get a pass? You need to do better than that.

You spent money in that time and you know you did, you just spent it poorly, you can play the stadium card and I'm not denying it was a factor but you weren't exactly relying on free transfers to get by.

If I remember correctly, Liverpool nearly went out of business/administration until FSG turned up, they were rebuilding the team with Suarez (and getting somewhere, they also had some manager turnover in this time which didn't help) and he left, which has set them back a bit especially as he was a class player. The Liverpool and Arsenal situations are not comparable, you still didn't reach your potential even in the latter years of Cesc, Nasri, Henry, RVP etc

Lunar FC

Just a game, don't get too invested.

So I have a feeling of need for a white N3DS that i haven't felt since the SP, I don't know what to do. :'(

Lightning

Banned
You spent money in that time and you know you did, you just spent it poorly, you can play the stadium card and I'm not denying it was a factor but you weren't exactly relying on free transfers to get by.

If I remember correctly, Liverpool nearly went out of business until FSG turned up, they were rebuilding the team with Suarez (and getting somewhere, they also had some manager turnover in this time which didn't help) and he left, which has set them back a bit especially as he was a class player. The Liverpool and Arsenal situations are not comparable, you still didn't reach your potential even in the latter years of Cesc, Nasri, Henry, RVP etc
We'll agree to disagree here, City emerged with massive spending, Chelsea had assembled an excellent team under Mourinho and Ferguson could win no matter what. Given all that with our continued financial restrictions not that easy. Very easy to sit back and moan "You could have done this or that better" but it's not that simple. The Fabregas saga dragged on for years, RVP always injured until his last season but our squad was at it's weakest by that point etc..

Not saying Wenger never made any mistakes but the abuse and criticism were way over the top.

GorillaJu

There is a huge difference between Arsenal and Liverpool and comparing them purely on recent financial outlay is missing the forest for the trees. Wenger has built Arsenal from the ground up at this point, everything has his thumb print. He is a legitimate world class manager and the stability that club has is due to his influence in everything from the lowest levels of the club to the highest.

Liverpool are now spending similar amounts to Arsenal in wages and Arsenal has been the ideal image of stability for the owners from day 1, as Henry has said on multiple occasions that they want to run the club similarly to them. We're now seeing some of the talent that's been invested in over the last 3-5 years come good, but it'll still take years of good vision and planning to be a sustained top 4 club. Wenger's control over everything at Arsenal, the stability over the years, and the city they are based in make them a totally different proposition from LFC. If Wenger loses a big player, the system props the team up. If Liverpool lose a big player, the whole thing comes crashing down. Our vision is haphazard. Arsenal's is rock-solid.

You can brute force your way to the top like Chelsea and City have, but the amount they spent to do so absolutely dwarfs Liverpool and Arsenal. Even the amount of money United are spending proves that it's not so easy to just buy yourself a title if your vision is haphazard, even with a decorated manager and the backbone of a title-winning team.

Salazar

Mike Keegan ‏@MikeKeegan_DM 35m35 minutes ago
Just five English pounds to see Oldham v Colchester today. No City, no United, no excuses.

:lol

It's football. Honest. Just shut your eyes and take it.

Take it.

Lightning

Banned
Our run in is as hard as anyone. On paper we do have the advantage, but in reality can we win matches week in week out and maintain a streak? it will be pretty difficult that's for sure.
Difficult for everyone. Problem is where we need around a 6 point lead as Chelsea and United games are late for us which kinda sucks. Would rather them games out of the way now.

And Odd morsel that is a fantastic post. Kudos.

TeddyBoy

Looks like I am going to have to find some janky stream for the game tomorrow. :/

I don't think I said hello before but welcome to FootyGAF :)

Am I a massive twat for not being as bothered about the FA cup as I was now that we're back in with a reasonable shout for a CL spot?

Since we beat Spurs, there's no way we should risk playing anyone who isn't at 100% imo

Some of our players really need a rest soon since we've been playing roughly the same 13 or so guys for the last six games.

We should really build the team around us resting players (so Sakho, Can and Henderson all need a rest).

Mig
Lovren - Skrtel - Johnson
Manquillo - Allen - Lallana? - Enrique
Ibe - Balo - Borini

I realise that team is shocking but we need to rest up our players for our Europa League game thursday and then our trip to Southampton on Sunday. If we lose both we've pretty much got no chance at getting Champions League football for next season.

We can't afford to risk players in the FA Cup.

I'm really regretting not cancelling Wisdom's loan move right now, we could do with the extra man at that back :(

I want trophies.

We should focus on the Europa League Cold, we can get Champions League as an added bonus with that.

I don't think I said hello before but welcome to FootyGAF :)

Some of our players really need a rest soon since we've been playing roughly the same 13 or so guys for the last six games.

We should really build the team around us resting players (so Sakho, Can and Henderson all need a rest).

Mig
Lovren - Skrtel - Johnson
Manquillo - Allen - Lallana? - Enrique
Ibe - Balo - Borini

I realise that team is shocking but we need to rest up our players for our Europa League game thursday and then our trip to Southampton on Sunday. If we lose both we've pretty much got no chance at getting Champions League football for next season.

We can't afford to risk players in the FA Cup.

I'm really regretting not cancelling Wisdom's loan move right now, we could do with the extra man at that back :(

We should focus on the Europa League Cold, we can get Champions League as an added bonus with that.

Think that's too much tbh

I don't want us to risk players, but I do want us to try winning today :p

Won't have a better chance to switch to Balo and Sturridge up front with 1 behind them than today

TeddyBoy

Think that's too much tbh

I don't want us to risk players, but I do want us to try winning today :p

Won't have a better chance to switch to Balo and Sturridge up front with 1 behind them than today

We can probably play Sturridge today, I was just being cautious since I don't want him to get injured again :(

Our biggest problem is CM. With Gerrard and Lucas both out with injuries and Henderson and Can needing a rest we only have Allen to play.

I've moved Lallana into there to cover but a midfield two of Lallana - Allen will get destroyed >.>

I do hope Rodgers rotates today, after losing in the FA Cup to Oldham (I'm pretty sure it was Oldham) back in his first season he rarely rotates the team since he fears the fans being angry over not trying for trophies :/

We can probably play Sturridge today, I was just being cautious since I don't want him to get injured again :(

Our biggest problem is CM. With Gerrard and Lucas both out with injuries and Henderson and Can needing a rest we only have Allen to play.

I've moved Lallana into there to cover but a midfield two of Lallana - Allen will get destroyed >.>

I do hope Rodgers rotates today, after losing in the FA Cup to Oldham (I'm pretty sure it was Oldham) back in his first season he rarely rotates the team since he fears the fans being angry over not trying for trophies :/

I doubt Can needs a rest tbh, he plays the game at his own pace :p

And CBs generally don't need time out as much as the other outfield positions, plus he's only really been playing the last 15 games or so

TeddyBoy

Teddy, Ibe is cup tied.

Which is annoying because he would of been ideal today.

I forgot about that! :(

I doubt Can needs a rest tbh, he plays the game at his own pace :p

And CBs generally don't need time out as much as the other outfield positions, plus he's only really been playing the last 15 games or so

I'm just concerned that games are coming thick and fast. Today's game is an opportunity to give some of our regular starters a break they haven't had in a while and probably won't be able to have for a good month or so :/

You guys feel like posting line ups?

I forgot about that! :(

I'm just concerned that games are coming thick and fast. Today's game is an opportunity to give some of our regular starters a break they haven't had in a while and probably won't be able to have for a good month or so :/

You guys feel like posting line ups?

----------------Mignolet-------------------

-----Lovren----Skrtel----Sakho--------

----------------Can------------------------
---Markovic-----Lallana-----Johnson

--------------------Coutinho-------------

------------Balotelli------Sturridge-----

1) Lovren cost too much to completely give up on him being a useful squad player at least
2) Want to see Can at DM so we know if he can do it
3) One of the wingbacks needs a rest, make it Moreno since we have better cover for Markovic in later games
4) Coutinho because Sterling maybe injured, and Lallana and Markovic are elsewhere in the team. Coutinho could do with a rest as well though, looked tired against Spurs and was apparently mildly injured before that match.
5) Won't get a better opportunity to use that partnership up front. We bought Balotelli to play up there with Sturridge, and they looked very good together in the only game we've been able to try it all season
6) Johnson because I never want to see Enrique in a Liverpool shirt again
7) Lallana because he needs gametime, Gerrard is injured and Henderson could do with a rest

Blablurn

Shanks. I did what you recommended me. I wrote her back in Chinese. Now she answered me. They look for a German teacher in two cities. And from what I remember from the advert they offer housing and a visa. Oh shit. Payment is also not bad.

Thank fuck Coldnoodle isn't a chairman

'We may have lost the final 17-0 with our U18s, but at least we didn't sacrifice our league campaign. Shame to have finished 7th anyway, but still, prioriWHAT?!'

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This year's Europa League winner doesn't get into the Champions League.

That starts next year :(

No it starts this year. If you win the Europa League and then you win a spot in the qualifying rounds of next season's Champion's League (assuming you haven't already qualified via the league).

Plus if the team that wins the CL has already qualified for the groups via the league then the Europa winners go straight into the group stage of the CL, avoiding play-offs.

TeddyBoy

This year's Europa League winner doesn't get into the Champions League.

That starts next year :(

I'm pretty sure if we win the Europa League this year we are put into the Champions League Qualifying Rounds next season (the only link I have is the Daily Mail which is banned :/)

----------------Mignolet-------------------

-----Lovren----Skrtel----Sakho--------

----------------Can------------------------
---Markovic-----Lallana-----Johnson

--------------------Coutinho-------------

------------Balotelli------Sturridge-----

[Very good reasons]

Sakho looked really tired after the Spurs game Hitch, he surely needs a rest today :/

The rest of the team looks good but I'd swap Coutinho for Allen and move Markovic into the CAM midfield position.

Salazar

Shanks. I did what you recommended me. I wrote her back in Chinese. Now she answered me. They look for a German teacher in two cities. And from what I remember from the advert they offer housing and a visa. Oh shit. Payment is also not bad.

If it's a trap, we'll form up a squad with appropriate skills and come get u

jts

...hate me...
I must say that Europa League looks surprisingly exciting this season. As long as we don't see too many surprises this round, could be legit to watch from the round of 16.

I'm pretty sure if we win the Europa League this year we are put into the Champions League Qualifying Rounds next season (the only link I have is the Daily Mail which is banned :/)

Sakho looked really tired after the Spurs game Hitch, he surely needs a rest today :/

The rest of the team looks good but I'd swap Coutinho for Allen and move Markovic into the CAM midfield position.

But I need my fix of Mamadou :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom