• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Mark Hughes, the Stoke City manager, has responded to David Moyes's calls for referees to give 18-year-old Adnan Januzaj more protection by suggesting the Manchester United winger gets more than his share of free-kicks and that there comes a time when "you have to let kids stand on their own two feet".

Moyes claimed after Sunday's 3-0 win at Aston Villa that opponents were "queueing up to kick" Januzaj in every game and, in terms of the role of the officials, said "it's terrible what they are allowing to go on at the moment". Hughes said that it was natural for Moyes to defend his players but, recalling Stoke's 3-2 defeat at Old Trafford in October, when Wilson Palacios and Stephen Ireland were booked for fouls on Januzaj, disputed the United manager's belief that fouls on the 18-year-old are going unpunished.

"Managers always protect their players," Hughes said in the buildup to Wednesday night's Capital One Cup quarter-final at the Britannia Stadium. "Januzaj is a big talent and I'm sure he will be a big talent for many years to come. Sometimes you have to let kids stand on their own two feet and get on with it."

Asked about Januzaj being targeted by opponents, Hughes said: "We don't do that but it can happen. Januzaj seems to garner a number of fouls and get a lot of decisions. In our game he got five free-kicks in a very short space of time, and at the time I didn't think they were fouls. So maybe that's a side of his game that needs to be looked at as well."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/17/mark-hughes-david-moyes-adnan-januzaj-protection?CMP=twt_gu

Batigol

Banned
Afer dark afer darrrk.

My latest hot 'footballer'(bit of a stretch)

yesyesyes.gif

ESMWedE.jpg

All of 'em, in order.

Cheers :)

So that's
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Are the spinoffs worth playing?

Tomb Raider is pretty good. Turned the difficulty to Easy since I'm in it for the exploration and set pieces, not the combat. QTE windows seem ridiculously small, especially since its not adaptive, you fail one press and you die

deroli

I enjoyed the first Miles Edgeworth title as much as the regular Ace Attorney games. Unfortunately, the sequel was never translated for us non-japanese speakers. Gotta watch the translation on youtube or wait for a fan made englisch version :/

And yes, play them all! I started with the second or third AA game because it was the cheapest, but playing them in order will definitely improve your experience.

bjaelke

I'm a bit shocked our squad is that thin but then again we have 12 players out on loan. Guess we'll be seeing the youngsters included in the senior squad from time to time during the second half of the season.

sohois

I'm a bit shocked our squad is that thin but then again we have 12 players out on loan. Guess we'll be seeing the youngsters included in the senior squad from time to time during the second half of the season.

Doesn't seem to quite add up there, unless there are injuries we don't know about, or he's counting in a strange way and not including gks or loanees or something :

Mig Cissokho Ilori Coutinho Suarez
Jones Toure Hendo Stirling
Kelly Sakho Allen Moses
Johnson Agger Lucas Ibe
Flanno Skrtel Alberto Aspas

bjaelke

Doesn't seem to quite add up there, unless there are injuries we don't know about, or he's counting in a strange way and not including gks or loanees or something :

Mig Cissokho Ilori Coutinho Suarez
Jones Toure Hendo Stirling
Kelly Sakho Allen Moses
Johnson Agger Lucas Ibe
Flanno Skrtel Alberto Aspas

Probably doesn't include Moses and Aly since they've been nonexistent.

dc89

Henk ten Cate (ex-Barca assistant coach) on Pellegrini, speaking on Revista De La Liga:

"He's probably one of the best [coaches] in Europe right now, probably the best. His team are improving week on week and playing better football. He didn't have the real quality at Villarreal, now he has the quality and the money to make the team even better."

Lightning

Banned
Henk ten Cate (ex-Barca assistant coach) on Pellegrini, speaking on Revista De La Liga:

"He's probably one of the best [coaches] in Europe right now, probably the best. His team are improving week on week and playing better football. He didn't have the real quality at Villarreal, now he has the quality and the money to make the team even better."
Errrrr you wounded us. You wait until your Emirates visit; Mesut shall have his revenge!

Jack cw

And its the exact opposite with Barca. In this match up city is favorite in my eyes.

The muppets at Bluemoon wanted him sacked in October.

Lightning

Banned
And its the exact opposite with Barca. In this match up city is favorite in my eyes.
That's a big call. Game is in February not now. By the time the game comes Messi could be firing all cylinders and if he does then City will not win. Also pure great team offensively Barca and can easily dismantle city's defence if their midfield sort their shit out.

For me even tie but I expect Barca to knick it. Big team players and with 2nd game at Camp Nou that will be a huge advantage for Barca.

Jack cw

That's a big call. Game is in February not now. By the time the game comes Messi could be firing all cylinders and if he does then City will not win. Also pure great team offensively Barca and can easily dismantle city's defence if their midfield sort their shit out.

For me even tie but I expect Barca to knick it. Big team players and with 2nd game at Camp Nou that will be a huge advantage for Barca.
Yes camp nou is going to be a huge challenge. And I can't see them winning there. I think it's the first time for this city squad in this stadium and I agree that a technically strong midfield can outplay them as Bayern showed twice this season, but messi at 100% in February is a big if and city's current form is great. On paper they have a slight edge. Id rate them as Madrid was two years ago, an aggressive scoring machine but not yet a real team and their defence is pretty easy to tear appart.

Lightning

Banned
Yes camp nou is going to be a huge challenge. And I can't se them winning there. I think it's the first time for this city squad there and I agree that a technically strong midfield can outplay them as Bayern showed twice this season, but messi at 100% in February is a big if and city's current form is great I think on paper they have a slight edge. Id rate them as Madrid was two years ago, an aggressive scoring machine but not yet a real team and their defence is pretty easy to tear appart.
On paper how? Aguero is out for a possible 8 weeks that's a huge blow for City. City's schedule between now and mid Feb is very hectic so they will rotate. Neymar and Sanchez will cause Clichy and Zabeletta all sorts of problems and if Iniesta and Fabregas can sort their shit out then Barca's midfield is better.

Still too far away to know for sure but Barca for me. Iniesta, Fabregas, Neymar, Sanchez etc should be too much for City's defence to handle, especially away.

City are not Bayern. City are a long way off Bayern. City beat Bayern in a dead rubber game, the game where it was all to play for at the Etihad Bayern played City off the park.

Jack cw

On paper how? Aguero is out for a possible 8 weeks that's a huge blow for City. City's schedule between now and mid Feb is very hectic so they will rotate. Neymar and Sanchez will cause Clichy and Zabeletta all sorts of problems and if Iniesta and Fabregas can sort their shit out then Barca's midfield is better.

Still too far away to know for sure but Barca for me. Iniesta, Fabregas, Neymar, Sanchez etc should be too much for City's defence to handle, especially away.

City are not Bayern. City are a long way off Bayern. City beat Bayern in a dead rubber game, the game where it was all to play for at the Etihad Bayern played City off the park.
fair enough. I agree with all you said but for me Barca isn't that strong anymore. I hope they prove me wrong but right now they look beatable at the moment by a capable opposition. They have lost their invincibility and city might not be Bayern but they aren't last years team too.

Edit: I'd rather have city than arsenal.

Feorax

Brad Smith being promoted is a good move IMO. Means we don't need to worry about a LB in January.

I suspect we'll still get a midfielder in though. Rossiter is talented, but at 16, you can only expect so much from him.

FootballFan

I still see us as favourites for this reason. Neygod + 10 other very very CL experienced players vs Man City, with the 2nd leg at home.

Not saying City can't win, but I'm about 76.5% sure we'll make it.

Gambit

I've had a wiiu for ages mate.

I love U.

EDIT: Oh, about the Özil incident. I am very grateful to Merte. He has finally done what should have been done with Özil many times already. He is just such a frustrating player- so much talent, so little mental strength. If someone with the work-rate of, say, Großkreutz had half the talent Özil has, he'd be one of the world's outstanding players. Özil has it all, but only shows it when the game is going in his favour anyway.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
We met with Vucinic's agent last night, amidst rumours of Spurs interest. Because that's what they need, more impotent strikers!

COINCIDENTALLY he's also Cuadrado's agent

And COINCIDENTALLY we can buy half his contract from Udinese to force Fiorentina's hand in the summer

coincidentally understand

Walshy

The bit about "only 19 fit players" is surely his way of getting some money to spend in January?

Also pleased that Brad Smith is being considered. Jordan Rossiter is too young to be considered, but it some praise. Would like to see Joao Carlos, but I doubt we will now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We met with Vucinic's agent last night, amidst rumours of Spurs interest. Because that's what they need, more impotent strikers!

Defoe is going to Toronto in January so I kind of understand it.

Adebayor, Vucinic and Soldado would be an acceptable set of strikers for me.

Mastadon

Banned
The bit about "only 19 fit players" is surely his way of getting some money to spend in January?

Also pleased that Brad Smith is being considered. Jordan Rossiter is too young to be considered, but it some praise. Would like to see Joao Carlos, but I doubt we will now.

Hopefully shouldn't take too much effort to convince FSG to part with a bit of cash considering our league position. We have to make the most of this opportunity, although other than Salah, I'm not sure who we'll be targeting.

Top Bottom