• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

GorillaJu

Oooooohhh

LT I have like 2000 hours of Dota played. Add me on Steam I'm in the FootyGaf group with the Steven Gerrard illustration as my avatar

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Have we talked about Balotelli's new boots? No flashy colours for him. Instead he has all the headlines written about him on them.

His contract with Nike (or Adidas?) ran out and that was basically his idea of a 'transition boot'
KuGsj.gif

wedward

Liverpool fans like to forget that their beloved Suarez was begging to come to Arsenal. Begging.

Why would Costa chose Liverpool over Arsenal? Even Liverpool players chose Arsenal over Liverpool.

L1NETT

It's a decent game. The most interesting story and setting of the three games. Shame it runs like utter horse shit though.

Hmmm running like horse shit I can handle. As long as I get a good smattering of villains i'm down.

Heard it retreads lots of steps from AC?

If I could have any United player at Arsenal aside from Rooney it would be Jones.

De Gea over Sczezncncncy?
RVP (if the lemons have subsided) over Donkey Giroud?

wedward

Hmmm running like horse shit I can handle. As long as I get a good smattering of villains i'm down.

De Gea over Sczezncncncy?
RVP (if the lemons have subsided) over Donkey Giroud?

I wouldn't take RVP back even on a free.

Sczez is improving and has been great this season. If he continues to improve I see know reason to believe he can't be our #1 for the foreseeable future.

We badly need a strong CB who can also rough some people up in the midfield.

Real happy for Maiga, even if I have spent all season slagging him off. Hope this gives him a bit of confidence, as we've got some big games coming up and Carroll's still a few weeks away from fitness. COYI!

Salvadora

As of today Jones is a bigger upgrade on the players we have than De Gea is.
I would disagree.

Sir Szc has improved immensely, but De Gea pulls off saves that you wouldn't even dream off on a regular basis. He is one of the few world class keepers. Jones on the other hand has lots of potential, but I'm liking the Mertesacker/Bosscielny partnership. We need another CB, but I'm sure we could find one. I'm not sure you could find another De Gea. That Spanish DNA is a ticking time bomb though.

Elchele

Bild: BVB want Volland (more) or Adrian Ramos (less), as well as a big star (Diego Costa or Jackson Martinez) to replace Lewandowski

Volland is class, I could totally see that happening.
Let's see if they manage to get Diego Costa or Jackson

wedward

I would disagree.

Sir Szc has improved immensely, but De Gea pulls off saves that you wouldn't even dream off on a regular basis. He is one of the few world class keepers. Jones on the other hand has lots of potential, but I'm liking the Mertesacker/Bosscielny partnership. We need another CB, but I'm sure we could find one. I'm not sure you could find another De Gea. That Spanish DNA is a ticking time bomb though.

Has Szc really been at fault for many goals this season? I can't think of many.

Carbonox

Pretty much yeah in terms of the environment. It's basically AC2.5 but with less interesting things to do and see. Rocksteady weren't ever gonna be matched in this regard though.

De Gea already is (or is verging on becoming) one of the best keepers in the world. Match winner.

Jones is very promising for me, I think he gets a rough deal, especially considering how much he's moved about. Has a lot of potential and I think he'll be very good but De Gea is a guaranteed star for years.

wedward

De Gea already is (or is verging on becoming) one of the best keepers in the world. Match winner.

Jones is very promising for me, I think he gets a rough deal, especially considering how much he's moved about. Has a lot of potential and I think he'll be very good but De Gea is a guaranteed star for years.

I agree with that, but in terms of what this current Arsenal squad need I think Jones would be a bigger asset. We have needed some muscle for years. Flamini is a start but he is more bark than bite.

Salvadora

What Arsenal need more than anything is mental strength.

Flamini and Mertesacker possess it, but I'm not sure about a lot of the rest.

wedward

What Arsenal need more than anything is mental strength.

Flamini and Mertesacker possess it, but I'm not sure about a lot of the rest.

Santi, Jack and Ozil appear to get easily discouraged and frustrated.

Gibbs, Sagna, Kos, Vermalen and Rambo just look defeated.

Giroud looks tired.

simples

Banned
As of today Jones is a bigger upgrade on the players we have than De Gea is.
de gea will be the Spain #1, win the World Cup and then ruin his career by going to Madrid. his talent and ambitions are bigger than Arsenal

jones is English, so he is scared of the world outside an island. so you can keep him for longer

Salvadora

Santi, Jack and Ozil appear to get easily discouraged and frustrated.

Gibbs, Sagna, Kos, Vermalen and Rambo just look defeated.

Giroud looks tired.
I think this is a Wenger problem, because you only need to look at the calibre of player that SAF was able to inspire regardless of the situation.

Often we look resigned to defeat well before it becomes fact. That isn't a physicality problem, or a talent problem. It's a mental problem.

wedward

I think this is a Wenger problem, because you only need to look at the calibre of player that SAF was able to inspire regardless of the situation.

Often we look resigned to defeat well before it becomes fact. That isn't a physicality problem, or a talent problem. It's a mental problem.

Ferguson doesn't seem to play players until they are mentally ready. Same with Mourhino. Even more so than physically ready.

If you are physically ready, you are playing under Wenger.

This game against Chelsea will mentally be their biggest challenge in a long time.

Remaining top into the new year would be a huge boost. Especially with our next games being West Ham, Newcastle and Cardiff.

kharma45

Definitely. Come on superbly well with the coaching at United teamed with an improved diet and fitness program. His physique was my main worry about him at the start but once he bulked and could handle the rough and tumble of the PL his confidence really grew and he could take better command of his area.

Jones is getting a rough deal, this better be the last year of him being moved around. He's probably good enough to be a regular CB for us at this stage, ahead of Smalling and Rio in the pecking order any way.

Jones is getting a rough deal, this better be the last year of him being moved around. He's probably good enough to be a regular CB for us at this stage, ahead of Smalling and Rio in the pecking order any way.

It will be. Rio is done after this season. Vidic will probably be phased out next season.

I hope Rio has the sense to go before he's pushed.
Rio's contract is up at the end of the season anyway. Doubt we will be renewing it.

Evra and Vidic out of contract too. I doubt Evra gets a renewal. Vidic might just but I wouldn't be too shocked if he's sent on his way too. Think it's wise to keep him around for another year or two just for his leadership and experience but I have a feeling Moyes is gonna rip this side up completely.

Fabio's contract is up too. Twins gonna be split :(

Clegg

Pretty sure Rio's contract expires at the end of the season. I don't think we'll offer him a new one either. And with Vidic potentially leaving next summer or the one after, I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a CB over the next few transfer windows.

Edit: ffs Viva

I never followed Fabio that closely, what happened? Just a case of Evra being better? Crazy to think he started in the CL final.

He's nowhere near as good as Rafael, and he's been thoroughly average when played at Man Utd, and QPR

Simple as that, although the Mancs would have you believe otherwise :p

I never followed Fabio that closely, but what happened? Just a case of Evra being better? Crazy to think he started in the CL final.
Not sure really.

He picked up a lot of injuries which meant he didn't play much/consistently for a while.

Still think we should be giving him chances, but he's had very few under Moyes. Tbh, from what I've seen of him he hasn't ever displayed the kind of raw talent that Rafael did even when he was making lots of mistakes. He's always been more assured but just...little spark.

Might be better for him to move on...sad as it would be :(

I never followed Fabio that closely, what happened? Just a case of Evra being better? Crazy to think he started in the CL final.

Fabio was the better prospect, but unlike Rafael had Evra in front of him. Rafael got much more game time.

I still don't get why he hasn't had more game time this season. His only start was against Crystal Palace and he was good in that game. He scored in his only sub appearance against Norwich. I remember reading the QPR forum last season to see how he was doing (while also watching his games), and they thought he was doing good too.

Clegg

Big physical difference between the twins now.

Rafa looks like he's been hitting the gym. Fabio is still quite lean.

Volland is class, I could totally see that happening.
Let's see if they manage to get Diego Costa or Jackson

That's a complete nonsense article, they really have no idea.

I hope Volland signs for us, though. He's been rumored to join us since his days at Best Munich and would certainly fit in well. I also think that BVB would be the right and probably best move for him, Bayern won't be interested and Leverkusen, well, it's Leverkusen. So not many interesting clubs to join in the near future for him, I don't think a move abroad would be a good idea.

Top Bottom