• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Clegg

I feel bad for him too. They should have let him make some key signings in January because obviously losing Lukaku and replacing him with fucking 90 year old Anelka does not work.

You've lost the plot completely. Where did I chat shit about Clarke? I merely pointed out that it should be no surprise to see a PL manager sacked for being so close to the drop zone.
Zero context. West Brom are a mid table club at best. They don't have the financial resources to break into the upper echelons of the league and made do with some very good loans. Now what's a new manager going to do? Sure he might pull them up from the foot of the table. But then what'll happen? Without major reinvestment they'll be back where they started. You need to back the manager and have faith he'll turn things around. Even look at Newcastle for an example.

I've already said I'm not arguing with you on this. Leave it out. You're wrong. Its pointless to discuss further.

faridmon

Maybe the problem is that Clarke have spend way too long in being the no.2 to a point that the skills required to be a complete manager is lost on him.

There were clearly problems at West Brom, lets not ignore that.

bobito

Banned
Maybe the problem is that Clarke have spend way too long in being the no.2 to a point that the skills required to be a complete manager is lost on him.

You may be on to something there. I think as a coach he is great. But he didn't do a great job of buying players

I don't see it.

He did fine at WBA. Last season they finished 8th. He's got an inferior team now, they're not doing brilliantly but still positive signs.

If he simply didn't have the skills required to be a manager he wouldn't have lasted til now.

You may be on to something there. I think as a coach he is great. But he didn't do a great job of buying players
Clarke's remit at WBA doesn't give him final say on buying players. Fairly sure they have a DoF who takes care of most of that.

Moodmon

Neo Member
Nice to see a Brom fan's perspective. The thing is, you do have a solid foundation, but something isn't clicking at the moment. I honestly don't think its Peace problem that the players are underpreforming. So Clarke needs to be questions in terms of his motivational skills.

My favourite teacher in school used to be a Brom fan but he was always embarrassed to disclose his allegiance even though everyone in my school knew about it. perhaps its because the head teacher used to be a Villa fan.

One other thing that might not be picked up is we lost our biggest asset this year. You just don't know who he is. Dan Ashworth was our technical director. He was also a god among scouts. Players like McCauley, Mulumbu and Yacob? All three cost less than a million combined. Hell, before he poisoned the well you could argue Odemwingie was one of the best transfers we've ever had considering he cost £1.5m.

Ashworth has gone to the FA to head up St George's Park. Our new guy used to be the finance director. I wonder if that may have contributed in some way. I mean how do you explain buying Anichibe when Everton get Lukaku? Why did we get Anelka? We got this Uruguayan defender. He played his first start again Norwich. He is an international, I think current one as well. He was rubbish. Sessegnon I don't mind, as despite his awful finishing last few games he was always Sunderland's best player when I watched them.

Going back to Clarke, he did tinker a bit with personnel and formations. I'm not sure he knew his best team at times, or what to play. Again, I don't think he should have been sacked. I would not be surprised if Brom already have a few people in mind though, they don't tend to do these things on a whim.

bobito

Banned
I don't see it.

He did fine at WBA. Last season they finished 8th. He's got an inferior team now, they're not doing brilliantly but still positive signs.

If he simply didn't have the skills required to be a manager he wouldn't have lasted til now.

Clarke's remit at WBA doesn't give him final say on buying players. Fairly sure they have a DoF who takes care of most of that.

This is at least partly his fault, you could argue

Edit: Good post Moodmon

Elchele

I really missed it.

But honestly look at those ratings, they're shit. We were the better team yet our players are rated lower. It's like top teams must win for their players to get good ratings.

Edit: Just noticed they rated that shit keeper Grahl higher than Langerak looool

Did they even watch the game?

Who's Gral anyway? I thought they had Casteels or something. And he had an Error lead a goal and still 7.0 rating :lol yeah you got a point

Yen

What got so many members banned? I think Sleepless and a few others are also banned.

Sleepless posted pics of someone's balls, the rest also posted whatsapp/snapchat gifs or were guilty by association - don't think Wilbz did much wrong this time, but Wooden posted a big close up of Arnie's crotch. We all agree now that Sleepless is a total pillock

Kyoufu

Partly, yes.

But where does the fault for that really lie? Because as I mentioned I'm quite sure WBA have a DoF in charge of transfers.

The owner is obviously a pleb. At least Mike Ashley (who has been trigger happy in the past) let Pardew spend in January to turn things around.

If they're hoping for a Southampton-esque revival then it could backfire on them badly.

Elchele

I don't like how you need to scout every fucking player in career mode in FIFA 14 to get his stats. Is there a way to turn that off?

The owner is obviously a pleb. At least Mike Ashley (who has been trigger happy in the past) let Pardew spend in January to turn things around.

If they're hoping for a Southampton-esque revival then it could backfire on them badly.

I don't really follow WBA, or the league generally, enough this season so I'm not sure how good they could or should be but it seems pretty clear that unless they get a consistent goalscorer they are gonna struggle - regardless of manager.

No team will do well unless you have somebody putting it away. Long is pretty solid but he won't get enough goals himself over a season.

Guess they'll be looking for someone in Jan.

Clegg

When are your exams?

I am tense as fuck before any major exam haha
Right now.

I've had two this week and another two next week. They're my first ever law exams so remembering all these different definitions and case studies have left me on edge.

K1LLER7

Right now.

I've had two this week and another two next week. They're my first ever law exams so remembering all these different definitions and case studies have left me on edge.
Good luck. I hated law at A-Level's.

Got no exams this semester but 1 assignment due Wednesday. Then 5 exams and 3 assignments in the second semester :(

Clegg

Stop chatting shit, jesus christ.

Where did I say Clarke is a shit manager?
I never said you did.

Your view that it shouldn't be surprising that managers who are near relegation get sacked; is one of the worst things about football in the modern era.

faridmon

I don't see it.

One season doesn't reflect on managers ability to run things. There may be a lot factors that played into the fact that they played brilliantly for a period of time. The key word is a period since the stats shows that they only won 4 of their last 22 games. That is like 2/3 of a season. Clearly that amount of downfall must be contributed to something, especially if it comes directly after a winning status (they did beat a lot of good teams while they were on form)

Now that we have established that a sudden fall from fall that continued this long is indeed a reality, we have to see what is the cause of it. My first reaction towards that sort of dip is motivational problem. Players have over performed but recently here have been players that doesn't care or haven't used their outmost talents. Yes, strengthening the squad is important but we are talking about similarly fielded players that have already the experience of getting a result at a lower levelled team in the very least, that didn't happen either. The motivation is not there, and clearly the owner must feel that this coach might be brilliant in his tactics but a team like West Brom, who aren't known for their high level match ability, the motivation to do their best might be their most important thing that will get them perform.

I still think that there must be reason why the owner have sacked him, and I do think its the fact that he isn't a complete manager.

Top Bottom