• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

One season doesn't reflect on managers ability to run things. There may be a lot factors that played into the fact that they played brilliantly for a period of time. The key word is a period since the stats shows that they only won 4 of their last 22 games. That is like 2/3 of a season. Clearly that amount of downfall must be contributed to something, especially if it comes directly after a winning status (they did beat a lot of good teams while they were on form)

Now that we have established that a sudden fall from fall that continued this long is indeed a reality, we have to see what is the cause of it. My first reaction towards that sort of dip is motivational problem. Players have over performed but recently here have been players that doesn't care or haven't used their outmost talents. Yes, strengthening the squad is important but we are talking about similarly fielded players that have already the experience of getting a result at a lower levelled team in the very least, that didn't happen either. The motivation is not there, and clearly the owner must feel that this coach might be brilliant in his tactics but a team like West Brom, who aren't known for their high level match ability, the motivation to do their best might be their most important thing that will get them perform.

I still think that there must be reason why the owner have sacked him, and I do think its the fact that he isn't a complete manager.

It's almost 11pm on a Saturday and I don't really give enough fucks about Steve Clarke or West Brom.

Let's just agree I'm right.

Clegg

Corker of a question in my exam today.

Explain how primordial realities impacted on the development of judicial law circa early 20th century. Something like that anyway.

I'm 99% sure that just one paragraph on this was mentioned in our core textbooks and 5 minutes dedicated to this in one lecture. And it was a whole exam question? Uni man. Uni.

Luckily I didn't have to do it.

faridmon

One other thing that might not be picked up is we lost our biggest asset this year. You just don't know who he is. Dan Ashworth was our technical director. He was also a god among scouts. Players like McCauley, Mulumbu and Yacob? All three cost less than a million combined. Hell, before he poisoned the well you could argue Odemwingie was one of the best transfers we've ever had considering he cost £1.5m.

Ashworth has gone to the FA to head up St George's Park. Our new guy used to be the finance director. I wonder if that may have contributed in some way. I mean how do you explain buying Anichibe when Everton get Lukaku? Why did we get Anelka? We got this Uruguayan defender. He played his first start again Norwich. He is an international, I think current one as well. He was rubbish. Sessegnon I don't mind, as despite his awful finishing last few games he was always Sunderland's best player when I watched them.

Going back to Clarke, he did tinker a bit with personnel and formations. I'm not sure he knew his best team at times, or what to play. Again, I don't think he should have been sacked. I would not be surprised if Brom already have a few people in mind though, they don't tend to do these things on a whim.

Yes, Dan Ashworth. I have heard of that guy and him leaving West Brom, except that I don't know how important he was until you mentioned it.

But to be fair, you still have the majority of those talents, them underperforming at this moment may have something to do with them what is on the pitch rather than what is happening off it.

As an Everton fan, I had a a mini celebration when you guys bought Anachiebie for that money. It was us doing a shred deal and you getting the bad end of the stick, but Clarke did ask for attackers didn't he, and at that point, it was too late to scout for players.

Clegg

Cheers for the well wishes, guys.

I haven't yet come out of an exam thinking the sky has fallen. I'm assuming that's a good thing.

Moodmon

Neo Member
The Brom chairman has said on record he views us as a mid table Championship side punching above our weight. All his dealings are designed to club keeps afloat (I guarantee all our players have relegation wage drops in their contracts) and occasionally some slightly slimey stuff to weed out smaller shareholders.

Having seen so many clubs implode, and remembering a play off final against Port Vale to get out of division 2 I am okay with this to an extent. I wish we could spend more, but we could end up like any of the number of fallen 'bigger' clubs.

Also do not forget Clarke got us to 8th on a tiny budget. Amazing work in his first ever managerial job. However we have been on a slope since the start of 2013, it just has not been completely clicking. Now the loss of Lukaku (as has been mentioned) and Odemwingie's goals has hurt us. Thing is we signed strikers. I forgot we got guy who was on loan at Watford last season, Vidja.

If you want to really pick fault at Clarke, look at out young guy Berahino. Very young, only had a few appearances but that is fine. Normally behind striker or on the wing (as much as that is relevant for Brom). Scored a few, best prospect in a long time (our youth system is ass).

He is a striker. Give him a run up front. Maybe not a lone striker but we need goals. His England under 19/21 (not sure which) record is phenominal.

Once again, being hyper critical here.

Who's Gral anyway? I thought they had Casteels or something. And he had an Error lead a goal and still 7.0 rating :lol yeah you got a point

I'm not sure but I think Casteels had a serious fuck up and they dropped him?

Whatever, for the first goal, Grahl had the ball in his hands, let it drop and thus invited us to score. After that he looked very shaky after a rather easy free kick from Aubameyang, played lots of bad passes and almost let a Lewandowski shot slip through which only hit the post :/

On the other side, Langerak did no proper mistake. A world class keeper might have saved one of those two goals but they were very well finished. And Langerak got a proper shit rating. So, just the keeper ratings show how awful that site is.

Moodmon

Neo Member
Oh, and one for conspiracy theorists about Clarke. Contract was up at end of season.

"Hey guys, we can sack this guy for a bag of chips."

Don't really agree with the Steve Clarke sacking, but then again WBA have won only seven of their 34 Premier League games in 2013.

If that was in one season they'd probably be at the bottom of the table with only 4 games left to go

Lightning

Banned
The Brom chairman has said on record he views us as a mid table Championship side punching above our weight. All his dealings are designed to club keeps afloat (I guarantee all our players have relegation wage drops in their contracts) and occasionally some slightly slimey stuff to weed out smaller shareholders.

Having seen so many clubs implode, and remembering a play off final against Port Vale to get out of division 2 I am okay with this to an extent. I wish we could spend more, but we could end up like any of the number of fallen 'bigger' clubs.

Also do not forget Clarke got us to 8th on a tiny budget. Amazing work in his first ever managerial job. However we have been on a slope since the start of 2013, it just has not been completely clicking. Now the loss of Lukaku (as has been mentioned) and Odemwingie's goals has hurt us. Thing is we signed strikers. I forgot we got guy who was on loan at Watford last season, Vidja.

If you want to really pick fault at Clarke, look at out young guy Berahino. Very young, only had a few appearances but that is fine. Normally behind striker or on the wing (as much as that is relevant for Brom). Scored a few, best prospect in a long time (our youth system is ass).

He is a striker. Give him a run up front. Maybe not a lone striker but we need goals. His England under 19/21 (not sure which) record is phenominal.

Once again, being hyper critical here.
Mid table clubs will have bad patches though, it's why they are midtable, and that shouldn't result in the sack. You drew with Arsenal having out played us, you drew with Chelsea you deserved to win, you beat United at Old Trafford which is remarkable progress. You are only 6 points off 10th spot in a very competitive situation.

West Brom should not be focusing on their league position, your team are good enough for that to take care of itself, just need to focus on getting out of this oil patch. New manager may change things and work, may not too. Feel bad for Clarke he didn't deserve to go like that.

Bumhead

Banned
I'd have Clarke here if he fancies a stint at the foot of The Championship.

Ambitious but I'll allow myself to dream for 5 minutes.

Salvadora

Law is awful.

Initially it seems quite novel and lures you in with attractive case studies, but don't be fooled. I've spent the last month getting lost in statutory interpretation.

L1NETT

Conversion Course Ftw Sal.

Anyways back in London. Available for hire at pubs.

I'd have Clarke here if he fancies a stint at the foot of The Championship.

Ambitious but I'll allow myself to dream for 5 minutes.

You won today, be happy :)

Could be worse, you could support United. (take your pick from Manchester, Sheffield or Leeds)

I'm in my final year of a criminology degree, our first year we had to do a law module and it was such bullshit. Second year you could choose to go down the law path but I avoided it at all costs

faridmon

I fucking hated Construction law and Contractual management when I was a student few months back.

It was nightmare inducing course. Heck, I still don't know what type of JCT contract to use and when. Also some of those terms and conditions are bullshit.

Moodmon

Neo Member
Mid table clubs will have bad patches though, it's why they are midtable, and that shouldn't result in the sack. You drew with Arsenal having out played us, you drew with Chelsea you deserved to win, you beat United at Old Trafford which is remarkable progress. You are only 6 points off 10th spot in a very competitive situation.

West Brom should not be focusing on their league position, your team are good enough for that to take care of itself, just need to focus on getting out of this oil patch. New manager may change things and work, may not too. Feel bad for Clarke he didn't deserve to go like that.

Ultimately yes, completely agree. It might only take one result to turn it around. Plus we have Hull, Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle next. Maybe after all those if results were bad.

I have not been to see them this season yet mind. Only Newcastle on Sky. We were dire. Maybe the football has been really poor?

L1NETT

Interesting Moyes quotes.

Buying in a WC year is never that fruitful though.

---

How in flying fuck is Jack Whitehall king of British Comedy two years in a row! C'mon British people sort yourselves out. No wonder shit like Russell Howard's Good News is so popular.

Bumhead

Banned
You won today, be happy :)

Could be worse, you could support United. (take your pick from Manchester, Sheffield or Leeds)

Oh I am! Great day today. Especially with results elsewhere. Charlton and a few others have been dragged right back in it.

Just need the right appointment now to come in and pull us clear. Clarke pls.

Top Bottom