• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm starting Champions League with Juve now. I would play as Arsenal but I can't stand that unlicensed North London bullshit so I'll rather play as a licensed team.

Good luck
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

win it for Conte

jtb

Banned
Enough with these excuses. *Ugh* let's put this to bed now.

When Man Utd put 8 goals past Arsenal, you guys also score 2 goals. That's the most number of goals a Wenger team has scored in a match at Old Trafford; even The Invisibles didn't manage more than one. Yet nobody accused that United defence of getting a pass because they were 'opened up' (i.e. coasting and conceding goals in a match they were comfortably winning).

The fact is that Man City clearly outclassed Arsenal on Saturday. They created chances at will. Even the incorrect refereeing decisions didn't actually rule out a tying goal and each time Arsenal scored, Man City simply went up the field and made their advantage even greater. At no point did they look in danger of losing. So what you scored 3? Nobody gives a shit.

eh, we've played better than any other team has at the Etihad in the league so far. it's still a bad loss, but the 8-2, this is not.

you say—we scored 3, who gives a shit? an equally valid question is who gives a shit if we conceded 6? we chased the game (with more success than other teams have, though still nowhere near well enough), of course we were going to concede goals. the loss is frustrating only because we didn't get any points. the goal differential doesn't concern me at all. and that's not just a me defending my team thing—I think Spurs should feel the same way about AVB. conceding 11 against City/Liverpool is concerning but in context, what should really worry them is not scoring a single goal (or even putting a single shot on target).

Lightning

Banned
The fact is that Man City clearly outclassed Arsenal on Saturday. They created chances at will. Even the incorrect refereeing decisions didn't actually rule out a tying goal and each time Arsenal scored, Man City simply went up the field and made their advantage even greater. At no point did they look in danger of losing. So what you scored 3? Nobody gives a shit.
I never said City didn't deserve their victory. We created chances at will as well is all I said and would have scored more goals if the referees made the correct decisions. Our defence wasn't the only shambles in that match, City's was exposed as well.

wedward

I never said City didn't deserve their victory. We created chances at will as well is all I said and would have scored more goals if the referees made the correct decisions. Our defence wasn't the only shambles in that match, City's was exposed as well.

Righ. City don't look to have a title winning defense. Nobody really does.

Elchele

I don't know what to think of AVB at this point, is he even good? Him singing all the available AMs in the world made me doubt him even more, is he crazy?

Napoli's defense is truly the stuff of nightmares.

Seeing this Napoli defence annoys the shit out of me.
Our defense is by far our biggest problem. I wish De Laurentiis and Benitez would've spent some of that Cavani money on a couple more backs and a solid DM; but, no, they decided to splash it all away on forward after forward, the entire lot of which combined still isn't as effective as Cavani was by himself. With the switch to four backs this season, our defensive problems have just become more apparent.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The Dolphins beat New England and there's 5 goals at the half of this awesome Napoli-Inter game.

Both footballs are alive!

bobito

Banned
---------------------Hart--------------------

Cole-------Cahil---------JT--------Johnson

--------------------Gerrard--------------------

---Baines-------Wilshere------Henderson

--------------Barkley/Lallana--------------

-------------------Rooney-------------------

Salvadora

I'm so pleased we went for him, although from what I've seen at Everton, Martinez wouldn't have been the disaster I thought it would be.
I don't know man, Martinez inherited a very good team (and made some shrewd loan signings) whereas Rodgers was in a much worse position initially.

Rodgers' commitment to youth is commendable and he is making all the right moves.

Liverpool's situation is a bit unique though. It rarely happens that a club with pedigree/top-of-the-table ambitions misses out on Europe completely and doesn't immediately sack the manager and/or lose their best players. Rogers has been given time and opportunity to build

Tbf we did sack our manager both times we had genuinely terrible league seasons recently. We finished strongly enough last season with enough promise for it to be clear that Rodgers deserved more time. 09/10 and 11/12 were disasters from beginning to end, and offered very little to be excited about.

Rafa didn't deserve the sack imo, but you can see the justification. He should have been given the chance to fix his mistakes.

Blackhead

Redarse
eh, we've played better than any other team has at the Etihad in the league so far. it's still a bad loss, but the 8-2, this is not.

you say—we scored 3, who gives a shit? an equally valid question is who gives a shit if we conceded 6? we chased the game (with more success than other teams have, though still nowhere near well enough), of course we were going to concede goals. the loss is frustrating only because we didn't get any points. the goal differential doesn't concern me at all. and that's not just a me defending my team thing—I think Spurs should feel the same way about AVB. conceding 11 against City/Liverpool is concerning but in context, what should really worry them is not scoring a single goal (or even putting a single shot on target).
Strongly disagree. I think Everton, Man Utd, and Hull did better at Etihad so far (along with Bayern, obviously, and Viktoria Plzen).

I disagree you would have scored more goals even if the referees had made no mistakes. Each time you scored, Man City tightened up, upped a gear, and controlled the game and scored a couple. Then they let their guard down, you got a couple of chances, scored one poking the bear again. More likely if a penalty had been given or offside not called, Man City would have been pissed off enough to score 10 :p

You didn't expose Man City's defense anymore than your 2-0 win in Munich exposed Bayern.

jtb

Banned
Strongly disagree. I think Everton, Man Utd, and Hull did better at Etihad so far (along with Bayern, obviously, and Viktoria Plzen).

Everton I'll give you, since they actually took the lead. Hull, meh.

Man Utd, though?

really?

really?

I disagree you would have scored more goals even if the referees had made no mistakes. Each time you scored, Man City tightened up, upped a gear, and controlled the game and scored a couple. Then they let their guard down, you got a couple of chances, scored one poking the bear again. More likely if a penalty had been given or offside not called, Man City would have been pissed off enough to score 10 :p

You didn't expose Man City's defense anymore than your 2-0 win in Munich exposed Bayern.

I think Man Utd were worse. They threatened City's goal once, and only kept it down to 4 because City took their foot off the gas at 3-0

Suen

Benfica wins, 3-2. time for dinner.
How much did you pay the ref?

Liverpool doesn't need plastic fans, please stay away.
Liverpool is my second PL club.

PL>Serie A>Bundesliga>La Liga
Bundesliga before La Liga? La Liga is a race between three
two, Madrid is out
teams. Bundesliga is a race between no teams. Bayern has won. Pls

Lightning...how's the Napoli-Inter game going? looool.

Suen

The ultimate JT too. I'd love to see him come to the PL. Could you imagine him destroying the likes of Phil Jones?
I would fear the state of the league if Costa and Suarez played together.

Valencia is fucking useless this season. Fucking score.

Elchele

Kyriakos Papadopoulos played a couple of minutes today, good to see him back.

two, Madrid is out

Bayern already lost when they decided to sign Pep
Bundesliga is fun to watch, except Nurnberg or Augsburg

Peco

Everybody thinks Roma will destroy Milan tomorrow. Which is exactly why I'm optimistic. Milan have it in them to pull a great performance out of their asses from time to time. A have a good feeling about tomorrow's match.

I also had a good feeling about Istanbul though.

9yBhx.gif

Labadal

To keep Suarez, we need to buy well in January, finish the season in a way that promises a lot next season, and convince him that we're building a team capable of competing for the CL. Merely being in the CL is below the level of performances he's putting in every week.

That's why I was surprised about him trying to move to Arsenal. They may be a level above us, but he should be looking 2 levels above us.
I think we'll lose him no matter what, but we'll get good money. I'm just happy that despite what happened earlier this season, he's playing so well. I think it is inevitable that some of the big boys put in a big bid in the summer.

How much did you pay the ref?

Liverpool is my second PL club.

two, Madrid is out

La Liga is infuriating to watch though. And Bayern at least have earned their success through clever marketing, like Man Utd. The TV deal makes La Liga a pile of shite

Plus, no Sami, no dice

Blackhead

Redarse
Everton I'll give you, since they actually took the lead. Hull, meh.

Man Utd, though?

really?

really?

I think Man Utd were worse. They threatened City's goal once, and only kept it down to 4 because City took their foot off the gas at 3-0

I didn't really see City take their foot of the pedal there as it's a derby after all, but I'll concede that Arsenal argurably had a better result.
I'm more pushing back against Lightning's argument that Man City's defence are getting a pass (or rather, shouldn't be getting a pass)

I didn't really see City take their foot of the pedal there as it's a derby after all, but I'll concede that Arsenal argurably had a better result.
I'm more pushing back against Lightning's argument that Man City's defence are getting a pass (or rather, shouldn't be getting a pass)

Their defense did look dodgy as fuck tbd

NAPOLIIIII

Top Bottom