• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

bjaelke

2DT1NEN.png

mmmm

Yeah but that's not to say they lost £100m worth of quality. The fee was hugely inflated, and it was all recycled back into the squad.

Well, either we were a one man squad or we weren't. I think we were, more or less, but that's always going to be the case with a team like us and a player like Bale - he was so good that we had to base our entire team around him, so naturally the rest of the team "suffered". We aren't Barca or Real.

And obviously the fee of our incoming transfers was inflated too. Lamela's fee was based almost entirely on his future potential, potential that might not be realised, and because they knew we had £100m to spend.

I think that, because his fee was so high, that it's easy to downplay just how good Bale is. He absolutely was our team, and we performed absolute surgery on our first 11 over the summer. Our performances haven't been good enough, but I think saying things like "they spent £100m lol" is ignoring a lot of context. This isn't like Man City or PSG or Anzhi - we had to sell our best player to do it, and we ended up revenue neutral (actually, we made a profit - thanks, Dempsey!)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Our fucked up group draw did that us. And now we again drew one of the strongest teams in competition.

Oh please, with 45 minutes to go Arsenal were coasting to first place in the group. Should never have lost to Napoli, they were in complete control.

Jack cw

I think City will beat Barca.

Wouldnt be so sure. Neygod is slowly reaching his form and Messi should be back by then but City has the more physically powerful players. Arsenal is great. Fantastic squad and Wenger vs. pep is going to be interesting. Zenit is tough but Dortmund will make it.

Leverkusen and Schalke are already dead.

Linius

Barcelona, Manchester United, Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern München to go trough.

-xxx-

L1NETT

Surprised how many folks think City will win, here included.

It'll be interesting, I think Barca will edge it personally.

Nice draw for United, they'll find a way to stuff it up though don't worry :p

Salazar

Oh please, with 45 minutes to go Arsenal were coasting to first place in the group. Should never have lost to Napoli, they were in complete control.

Give it up, Usho.

Arsenal-GAF will only start to think straight when they are back down around 4th.

FC Arsenal - Bayern München
Zenit St. Petersburg - Borussia Dortmund
FC Schalke 04 - Real Madrid
Bayer Leverkusen - Paris St. Germain
Manchester City - FC Barcelona
AC Mailand - Atletico Madrid
Galatasaray Istanbul - FC Chelsea
Olympiakos Piräus - Manchester United

Easy way through for the group winners for me.

Barzul

Oh yeah, we'll definitely give it a go. But I can't see us winning, Bayern are just too strong.

Chelsea won the CL while finishing 6th in the league. If that happened, anything can. Lets just hope our players are possessed when that game comes around, but I'm not too bothered if we lose the CL and win the league. I want us to win still.

D_prOdigy

Wonder who'll finish 4th and get bumped down to Europa League when Moyes stands over the corpse of Messi in Lisbon.

I hope it's Arsenal.

Feorax

AVB gone, wonder who Spurs will get in now?

Wouldn't be surprised to see moves for either Pochettino or Laudrup.

Spurs need to act fast though. If they drop any more points over Xmas then there's a good chance that top 5 will pull away out of reach.

Top Bottom