• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Ingeniero

So Bayern again, very very difficult match but we already beat them once and we can do it again. We have to defeat the best to win the CL anyways. Fuerza Arsenal.

City vs Barcelona will be fun too.

Jack cw

So Bayern again, very very difficult match but we already beat them once and we can do it again. We have to defeat the best to win the CL anyways. Fuerza Arsenal.

City vs Barcelona will be fun too.

You beat us when we had nothing to lose and we had Schweini out :/
This time though we'll clear things right at the first match.

Tawpgun

Suarez better stay at Liverpool, he's tearing it up now.

If he did go someone it better be for a shitttton of money. Dude is better than Bale

So we drew Atletico? Would've preferred United but whatever. Hopefully we can grab a win at home and catenaccio the fuck out of them in Spain.

Batigol

Banned
John Brewin @JohnBrewinESPN
A good day to hurl bad news into the 18-yard box after drying it: Rory Delap retires.

Good. Shithouse player

Probably the worst player to ever play in the BPL. I'm being incredibly hyperbolic, but it's true because he's shit and I hate him

Delap will be remembered as 'the guy with the long throws'

Good one Tony

Throw-ins

Delap, a former schoolboy javelin champion,[84] is renowned for having one of the longest and most feared throw-ins in football; his throws, noted by Martin O'Neill as equivalent to "a corner or a free kick", often range 30–40 metres (98–130 ft) (averaging 38 m (125 ft)), and can reach the speed of 60 km/h (37 mph). They have served as an assist in more than one case before 2008. Numerous experts, including his former manager Tony Pulis, have commented on the technique Delap employs, the length and flatness undoing many a defence. "It causes so many problems (amongst the opposition defence). I think it's because they're so flat. They're not lofted into the air, he throws it pretty flat and it's very difficult for defenders to pick up the flight."[85]

Fellow professionals similarly renowned for long throw-ins, such as Mario Melchiot, formerly of Wigan Athletic, and Lee Dixon, formerly of Arsenal, have also spoken of their admiration for Delap. Melchiot described Delap's ability as "one hell of a throw-in" and a "great weapon", having already set Delap out for unique praise in stating that he did not think there was "anyone in the league that can throw like him".[86]

To increase the momentum of the throw, Delap takes four steps from the advertising boards around the pitch, followed by one long stride. In doing this he plants his front foot solidly on the ground propelling all momentum forward, thus increasing the speed with which the ball is released. Delap says he does not work on building his upper body strength and physique, although he uses his shoulders and lower back muscles to give power to his throw. For the ball to reach his target faster, Delap throws it on a flat trajectory releasing in such a way to cause large amounts of backspin. This helps to counter gravity so the ball will travel on a more level elevation even though it is released at such a low angle. He tends to target two players within 6ft of each other. His throw-ins are reputed as more accurate than most corners being that more muscles are used to control the direction in which the ball travels.[87]

I have never seen anyone with a throw-in like Delap's and I believe his missiles have created seven out of Stoke's 13 league goals this season. I had a long throw and used to practice them, but I could only just about get it in the box. My team-mate Perry Groves could throw it a long way and we have seen the likes of Dave Challinor and Andy Legg do it – but nothing like Delap. Most long throws tend to be a bit loopy, whereas Delap's are fired in like a free-kick – but even more dangerous.

In the 2008–09 Premier League season Delap's throw-ins led directly to both goals scored in at least two matches. Both Stoke goals in the 3–2 loss to Everton on 14 September 2008 came about as a result of Delap's throw. Afterwards Everton manager David Moyes referred to Delap as the "Human Sling".[88] Later, Delap used his ability to help score Stoke's goals in the 2–1 victory over Arsenal at the Britannia Stadium on 1 November 2008. The first of these travelled 45 metres from the sideline into the penalty area.

The then Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari described the technique as "fantastic" and suggested the goalkeeper ought not to attempt claiming the ball in this situation. "I think he puts the ball better with his hands than his foot, it's fantastic. I have never seen anything like this in my life; 10 metres outside midfield, this boy puts the ball inside the area. Maybe it's not beautiful football but it's effective."[89]

While many believe Delap should use his throwing ability to his team's advantage, Arsène Wenger is against the idea. He stated in an interview on the Arsenal website. "For example at Stoke, for Rory Delap it is like kicking the ball. It is a little bit of an unfair advantage. He is using a strength that is usually not a strength in football. So [the rule I would change would be] maybe to play throw-ins by foot. Why not? I think it would make the game quicker. Football is the most popular team game in the world and one day some crazy guy said 'we don't use the hands'. How could you have imagined on that day a game that is completely natural to play with your hands would become the most popular sport?"[90][91][92]

Some teams have used techniques to try and put Delap off his long throws. Notable examples include, against Hull City on 29 November 2008; goalkeeper Boaz Myhill kicking the ball out for a corner instead into touch when under pressure. Unused Tigers substitute Dean Windass received a yellow card for unsporting behaviour after warming up too close to Delap when preparing to take a throw-in.[93] On 27 March 2010, West Ham United erected an extra set of hoardings considerably close to the touchline to hamper Delap's run-up, but he was still capable of reaching the penalty box in spite of the limited space. These hoardings backfired when a misplaced throw from Hammers defender Julien Faubert led to Ricardo Fuller to score the only goal of the game in the Potters' favour.[94] Burnley also tried a similar tactic however the match finished 1–1 with Stoke's goal coming from a Delap throw.[95]

Delap served as the inspiration for Danny Brooks – a P.E. teacher from West Yorkshire who broke the world record for the longest football throw-in. He performed a flip throw to gain extra momentum and lifted the record to 49.78 metres (163 ft).[96] The record was once again broken on 18 June 2010, and is now held by Thomas Gronnemark of Denmark, who threw the ball 51.33 metres (168 ft).[97]
His wikipedia page lol

omgkitty

Just want to apologize to all the Arsenal fans. I've never grown a beard before and decided to start. Since I started, we have drawn with Everton and lost to Napoli and Man City. It's all my fault :(

so dortmund may beat bayern in the champions league although they will probably loose in the league. the cup is open.... doesnt sound too bad for dortmund so far after such a desastrous season.

Baki

Are Arsenal fans on about Suarez again?

Dudes, if it didn't happen in the summer, there is absolutely no way it's happening in the winter.

If Suarez weren't completely happy with the team, if he weren't playing the best football of his life, and if he hadn't just recently pledged his future once more to us, it would be because the owners wouldn't sabotage Brendan and the club's first legitimate run at Champions League qualification in 3 years half-way through a season.

We have one of the world's best players, playing at the top of his game. We turned down 40 million in the summer, even with the player agitating for a move. Why, on gods green earth, would we simply throw our hands up and say "well fuck it, why not just take the 40m now and write the season off?"

You'll get Falcao/Cavani type money for him. £55m. Don't expect more, if you do, he will just leave on a free after he signs a pre-contract agreement with a big club. Make no mistake thought. Suarez wants to leave and he will do everything he can to make that happen.

deroli

Nice CL draw. Zenit is one of the easier opponents on paper. The second halve of the russian PL season starts not until march, so they might be lacking match experience in february. On the other hand, playing in St Petersburg at -10°C will be tough. Still, I'm looking forward to both games! :)

There are a couple of other great games: Schalke against Madrid haha. Real, pls destroy them! Lev - Paris will be very difficult for the Pillendreher, but if the luck remains on their side, they might be able to advance. City vs Barca is a spectacular fixture. Barca are the big favorites, but they don't look invincle to me like a few years ago.

dc89

Zola sacked.

I'm not surprised.

Come at me Clegg.

Gonna give you some advice;

You keep calling out one member of UnitedGAF, you keep calling them all out. They are the Hive Mind and they work in mysterious ways. Stop now before you are terminated.

Kyoufu

Gonna give you some advice;

You keep calling out one member of UnitedGAF, you keep calling them all out. They are the Hive Mind and they work in mysterious ways. Stop now before you are terminated.

Clegg is Man Utd-GAF's mastermind.

L1NETT

Not shocked at all at Zola, called it few days ago I think. They've been shite, but thought him being the man THEY brought to the club would save him.

Apparently not, and the roundabout continues.

With so few genuine good candidates available, the roundabout might be in full swing for the next few weeks.

Its gonna be awesome seeing Drogba come home again, I wonder how our boys will deal with him though can't be easy being on the wrong side of that monster even though he has gotten older.

Carbonox

It's just a fucking throw-in. It's like a scientific study on his ass.

Sunday League Football makes me laugh at how often throw-ins can bamboozle people. Be it the synchronising of your body parts to ensure that a) your feet are on the ground and b) you throw the ball correctly or to how people can't quite gauge the distance required to hit your target (simple direct throws rather than throw-it-in-the-mixer types).

I am my team's primary throw-in taker cos I got mad lift and distance on my throws. I play CB but even throw-ins up the top I take cos no one else can seem to understand how to just throw the fucking ball properly without leaving a foot off the ground in the process.

IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE *SNORT*

Sunday League's just hilarious full stop tho.

Its gonna be awesome seeing Drogba come home again, I wonder how our boys will deal with him though can't be easy being on the wrong side of that monster even though he has gotten older.

tumblr_inline_mh7luqYPHq1r821py.jpg

Fergie

Banned
Sunday League Football makes me laugh at how often throw-ins can bamboozle people. Be it the synchronising of your body parts to ensure that a) your feet are on the ground and b) you throw the ball correctly or to how people can't quite gauge the distance required to hit your target (simple direct throws rather than throw-it-in-the-mixer types).

I am my team's primary throw-in taker cos I got mad lift and distance on my throws. I play CB but even throw-ins up the top I take cos no one else can seem to understand how to just throw the fucking ball properly without leaving a foot off the ground in the process.

IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE *SNORT*

Sunday League's just hilarious full stop tho.
http://youtu.be/xaLoCe-DJ7c

What an incredible, beautiful specimen, one of a kind human throwing machine.

Top Bottom