• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Clegg

I enjoyed the first series of Arrow but up until now I haven't had the chance to watch S2. Finally caught the first few eps and its amazeballs.

They've already upped the superhero factor.

Walshy

Tony Barrett saying that Napoli has approached us about taking Agger on loan in Jan.
No chance of happening in January.

Can see us selling him come summer though, especially with Papadoplous making his come back this week. I can see us going for him again.

Illori is coming through aswell.

Clegg

Any news linking him to United? Although it's highlights, looking good.

Our youth team may need someone like him. Replace that Adnan spot.
Signed an extension with Dundee until 2017.

He's already playing first team football for them. He wouldn't come to us just to play youth football. That'd be insulting to him.

L1NETT

I enjoyed the first series of Arrow but up until now I haven't had the chance to watch S2. Finally caught the first few eps and its amazeballs.

They've already upped the superhero factor.

Oh boy it gets better.

So much better. Episodes 7/8 + 9. So damn good.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Andre Villas-Boas’s time in charge of Tottenham Hotspur came to an end on Monday morning when he told chairman Daniel Levy and technical director Franco Baldini that he would not select Emmanuel Adebayor, despite his side’s chronic lack of goals.

The three men had met at White Hart Lane in the immediate aftermath of the 5-0 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday night and agreed to meet again the following morning. In the course of their conversation Monday it was intimated to Villas-Boas that he might wish to try a different, more attacking approach to solve the failure to score more than 15 goals in 16 league games.

Although Adebayor’s name was not mentioned by either Levy or Baldini, the Portuguese head coach took it to be a suggestion that he should recall the Togolese striker. He said that there would be no possibility of him recalling the striker, who has played just 45 minutes this season – the second half of the 6-0 defeat to Manchester City.

That was the tipping point for Levy to take the decision to sack the 36-year-old head coach. There has been a feeling at the club that Villas-Boas’s behaviour has suggested he has been challenging them to sack him – with his reluctance to budge on certain issues.

The club are minded to appoint Tim Sherwood, currently the club’s technical co-ordinator, overseeing the development teams, until the end of the season. They confirmed last night that Sherwood will be in charge for tomorrow’s Capital One Cup quarter-final at home to West Ham and the league game at Southampton on Sunday. He is yet to decide whether he wants the job long-term.

Kind of petty from AVB. If he had such a problem with Ade then why did he play against City? Either he's in the fold or he's not, if we are paying his wage it's stupid not to use a player like him. He could have solved a lot of our problems.

Clegg

Parma are 100 years old today.

They held a centenary ceremony today and announced Crespo as their greatest ever player.

Lightning

Banned
Kind of petty from AVB. If he had such a problem with Ade then why did he play against City? Either he's in the fold or he's not, if we are paying his wage it's stupid not to use a player like him. He could have solved a lot of our problems.
It's more petty from levy as team selection is AVB's job not levy or Baldini.

AVB made his bed though by attacking everyone again. He attack the clubs fans, a big no no, he then launched a stinger on the media in a battle he couldn't win, and have a very strange answer when questioned on the new signings and whether it was his decision to sign them or not.

Wenger and ferguson prove you should leave running the football side of the club to the manager. Wenger and Ferguson didn't get told who to play and neither should AVB.

Carbonox

Parma are 100 years old today.

They held a centenary ceremony today and announced Crespo as their greatest ever player.

The only Italian Football shirt I have is a Parma one. I'm going to stick it on and fap to Crespo pictures.

been uh,...... a parma fan all my life.......since that fateful day they won the prem....yeah

Feorax

No chance of happening in January.

Can see us selling him come summer though, especially with Papadoplous making his come back this week. I can see us going for him again.

Illori is coming through aswell.

My bet is that if Barca try again with £15 million in Jan, like they did in the summer, then he's gone. Big bonus that he isn't cup-tied.

I don't even think we need to sell to buy in Jan, but reducing the wages and having funds to offset purchases will be seen as a bonus.

Also, this isn't awkward at all...

BbpEAycIAAAIvqh.jpg

Fergie

Banned
Signed an extension with Dundee until 2017.

He's already playing first team football for them. He wouldn't come to us just to play youth football. That'd be insulting to him.
Ah.

Well EPL isn't easy, but I agree he does look very composed.

Walshy

My bet is that if Barca try again with £15 million in Jan, like they did in the summer, then he's gone. Big bonus that he isn't cup-tied.

I don't even think we need to sell to buy in Jan, but reducing the wages and having funds to offset purchases will be seen as a bonus.

Also, this isn't awkward at all...
Haha Henry Winter is such a cunt.
Suarez is too, but he's our cunt

Good point re:Agger, I love his loyalty but if Barca come in for him it's a step up. Sakho is better at the moment for us as well, so it makes sense.

There is no shortages of promising center backs being avaliale at the moment, which is a plus. Agger's been on the decline for a while now and his injury problems could always re-appear.

Meier

Reading this Telegraph article about AVB... apparently United were willing to pay £100m AND possibly take Adebayor for Bale.

A pinch point arrived last May on Spurs’ post-season tour to the Bahamas which was also used as an opportunity for Villas-Boas, Levy and the club’s owner Joe Lewis, who lives on the islands, to meet. Top of the agenda was Bale’s future, with Villas-Boas urging the club to keep him for one more year – and add Hulk and Villa to create a new forward line. Villas-Boas wanted that evolution – not a revolution – at Spurs in the playing staff but was also pushing for off-the-pitch changes, including the hiring of Baldini and the overhaul of the medical department. The signings were rejected and, of course, Bale was sold to Real Madrid for £85 million but only, in fairness, after he had pushed for the move. Spurs held talks with Manchester United, who were willing to pay £100 million and might also have taken Adebayor, but Bale was adamant that he only wanted to go to Madrid.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ger-Andre-Villas-Boas-had-become-distant.html

Feorax

There is no shortages of promising center backs being avaliale at the moment, which is a plus. Agger's been on the decline for a while now and his injury problems could always re-appear.

These are not unrelated I think. I suspect he has remained injury free because we're only getting Agger at 75% of what he can do.

In fairness, that was a compromise worth making for a while, until Sakho arrived and changed everything.

sneaky77

From what I've seen spurs is not like they create chances so I am not sure how Ade would help that much, Soldado is a good finisher but someone needs to create some plays

Elchele

Just three more days and I can finally escape into the holidays, where I'm unfortunately also gonna have to work a bit. I'm so looking forward to charging up my batteries.

I was really looking forward to find a job during the summer, but I always tend to pospone everything and I couldn't get my DNI (argentine id card) in time because of it. So I will have to wait until next year :/

Guess I'll spend a lot of time in the pool.

Papa and Sakho CB future

*drools*

Just watched The Hobbit. Missed opportunity

Too many sweep-shots
Boring elf scenes again
Gollum scenes should not have been comic relief
and I could barely understand his dialogue
Setup between prologue and adventure start was too long

And the main criticism: Martin Freeman seemed to be playing Tim from The Office as Bilbo Baggins. Obviously directed to do so, but it was outputting

Decent film nonetheless. No idea how the rest of it will be spread over 6 hours, feels like it ends at about 3/5 of the way through as it is. Felt well overlong.

Surprised
Christopher Lee
agreed to be in it

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tim Sherwood has been handed the chance to make the Tottenham job his own after Andre Villas Boas was brutally sacked yesterday.

Chairman Daniel Levy made the dramatic move yesterday morning after the club’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday – their worst home result in 16 years.

Villas-Boas was axed at Tottenham’s north London HQ shortly before training. A Spurs statement said: “The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties. We wish Andre well for the future.”

Sherwood, 44, will take charge of Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup quarter-final against West Ham.

But it is understood the ex-midfielder, who lifted the title with Blackburn in 1995, has Levy’s confidence and could get the job full-time if he makes a success of it.

Sherwood, who is also involved in top-level discussions on signing players at White Hart Lane, has been in charge of Tottenham’s development team.

Also talk about possible January recalls for Assou-Ekotto and Tom Carroll. Both would add something to our squad, I think.

faridmon

It's more petty from levy as team selection is AVB's job not levy or Baldini.

AVB made his bed though by attacking everyone again. He attack the clubs fans, a big no no, he then launched a stinger on the media in a battle he couldn't win, and have a very strange answer when questioned on the new signings and whether it was his decision to sign them or not.

Wenger and ferguson prove you should leave running the football side of the club to the manager. Wenger and Ferguson didn't get told who to play and neither should AVB.

Agreed on every point beside the last one. You have to keep in mind that Arsenal/Man United are different environment than Spurs and comparing Wenger with AVB is like comparing between apples and oranges.

Although I do feel that AVB doesn't have the credential to be a great manager, he was in two clubs where he was not responsible for most of the tactics and team selection he ought to handle completely. I wonder if he would be successful in a club where he is basically the Moyes/Martinez of the club...

faridmon

Papa and Sakho CB future

*drools*

Just watched The Hobbit. Missed opportunity

Too many sweep-shots
Boring elf scenes again
Gollum scenes should not have been comic relief
and I could barely understand his dialogue
Setup between prologue and adventure start was too long

And the main criticism: Martin Freeman seemed to be playing Tim from The Office as Bilbo Baggins. Obviously directed to do so, but it was outputting

Decent film nonetheless. No idea how the rest of it will be spread over 6 hours, feels like it ends at about 3/5 of the way through as it is. Felt well overlong.

Surprised
Christopher Lee
agreed to be in it

How does it compare to the first one? I loved it while there was a tonne of negativity surround it.

Also the Soundtrack was BOSS!

Clegg

That rumoured United £100m bid doesn't make much sense.

Woodward lowballed everyone all summer.
From what I've read, United seem very conscientious about overspending on players. They didn't meet Herrera's release clause because they didn't think he was worth that amount. They didn't buy Baines because they didn't think he was worth £20m. If the Bale stories are true then I'd imagine we bid £100m because we felt he was worth that amount.

Top Bottom